WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

38mm or 41mm - 6.5 inch wrist

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here’s my take.
I started out with a 41mm and in the end, flipped it for a 38. My wrist is 7.25-7.5”.
The 41 looked ok in a mirror where there was a bit more of a wider perspective and I could see what others were more likely to see.
However, probably like most of us on here, we like to admire what we wear for ourselves and when I was looking at the 41 on my wrist at arms length or at my desk, it just took over the wrist a bit too much.

Now, whenever I look down at my new AT in 38, I always think that I made the right choice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 6.3" wrist that is also flat and I went with the 41 as the 38 was too small in my subjective opinion. The 41 has curved lugs and can fit nicely.

·
Vendor
Omega/Tudor/Breitling/Grand Seiko/Tag Heuer/Montblanc/Hamilton/Seiko
437 Posts
Without a question it would be the 38.5 on my 6.75" wrist. I could wear the 41 but I find 38 to be the sweet spot and wish more manufacturers offered watches at that size. I'd love to post some photos but don't have a 38 currently in stock.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have 7" wrists and was thinking the same. Really thought the 38mm would be the one for me. Tried both on in my AD and instantly disliked the size of the 38mm, felt like a - sorry to be sexist - girly size on me. Went with the 41mm. Haven't regretted it at all.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have 7" wrists and was thinking the same. Really thought the 38mm would be the one for me. Tried both on in my AD and instantly disliked the size of the 38mm, felt like a - sorry to be sexist - girly size on me. Went with the 41mm. Haven't regretted it at all. View attachment 15703514
I felt the same way about the old 38.5mm, it wore smaller than the dimensions suggested.

Have not had a chance to try the newer 38mm but I imagine the shorter lugs would make it appear and feel even more compact.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Try the 38 when you get the chance and decide which one you like better.
FWIW here's a 41.5 on a 6.75" round wrist. It's a closeup so it actually looks bigger than it is because of the wide angle. I tried the 38 and it was too small for my taste.
View media item 15248669
I also have a 6.75 wrist and have that exact watch. I agree, it fits just fine. I love the look with the rubber strap.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I own sub 40 watches that wear perfectly, but for whatever reason the 38 felt really small so I went with the 41.5. My wrist is about 7 inches, so I am a bit bigger, but either way I think both would work for you. If you prefer a bit more wrist presence the 41.5 might be for you, if not the 38. You cannot really go wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OP, if your wrist measures 6.5" then I highly recommend waiting and going with the 38.5mm version. Although at the end of the day it's personal choice, if you're asking for our/my opinion, 38.5mm will withstand the test of time better, and provide you with more wearing opportunities (more formal looking for those types of events). FWIW, my wrist measures just shy of 7" and I find my 38.5mm AT wears perfectly. But again, to each their own.

·
Registered
204 Posts
38.5 mm for anything under a 7.25" wrist.
OP, if your wrist measures 6.5" then I highly recommend waiting and going with the 38.5mm version. Although at the end of the day it's personal choice, if you're asking for our/my opinion, 38.5mm will withstand the test of time better, and provide you with more wearing opportunities (more formal looking for those types of events). FWIW, my wrist measures just shy of 7" and I find my 38.5mm AT wears perfectly. But again, to each their own.
It is 38mm now guys, not 38.5mm.
As for the OP, as others have said, try both before you decide, otherwise you will always be wondering if you made the right choice...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Definitely go with 38mm in your case. Although you're planning on throwing a rubber strap on it for casual wear, it's entirely possible that you'll want to wear it with a bracelet later down the road for more formal occasions. The smaller size makes it that much more versatile and flexible for you.

FWIW, I had the same internal dilemma 8 years ago when purchasing my first AT. I'm reminded of how I made the right choice of going with the 38.5mm option every time I put it on. I feel confident you'll do the same. My wrist size is larger - just shy of 7".

·
Registered
37 Posts
38mm PROBABLY given your wrist size. But I'm amazed how individualized watch size appearances can be.

My wrists aren't huge (~7 1/4), but the 38mm looks way too small on me. Maybe I just have flat ("pie-pan") wrists!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a 6.5 wrist (quite flat) and I own both 41.5 AT in black and 38.5 in blue (skyfall). I wore the 41.5 daily for about 6 years and was happy with it, although I always found it a bit too big, too much presence on my wrist. I bought the 38.5 about 6 months ago and I much prefer this size (and color).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am going to make this problem a real dilemma now: have a 6.5" wrist and I vote for 41mm. I do have a 38.5mm annual calendar on a leather band, which I adore. Go-to-watch every day without thinking. But, I also have a 41mm SMP and that gets mostly outdoorsy/active wrist-time. The 41mm is just more "present".

I solved the problem (or made it worse) by buying a 43mm Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT just yesterday (delivery in 7 days, overseas). So now the big question at the beginning of the day will be: what size and type Seamaster is it gonna be? And yes, a 6.5" wrist can handle a 43mm watch!

But to be honest, the AT is such a beautifully designed watch, it demands attention. The 41mm version gives it the extra presence, as shown in the post above (what a gem!)

Cheers,

Reactions: Ecto and abccoin

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hav or we’d both 38 and now the 41mm; I have a 6.75 wrist and found the 38mm to small. 39.5 would have been perfect for that I have my semester Olympic.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have 7" wrists and was thinking the same. Really thought the 38mm would be the one for me. Tried both on in my AD and instantly disliked the size of the 38mm, felt like a - sorry to be sexist - girly size on me. Went with the 41mm. Haven't regretted it at all. View attachment 15703514
Couldn't agree more about the smaller size! I've got a 6.75 wrist and had a 37mm Rado that made me feel very self conscious. I've gone as big as 43mm but won't go smaller than 40. Here's my Aqua Terra on wrist.

Attachments

·
Registered
505 Posts
Ive had the pleasure of trying both. I currently have a couple AT’s each in the 41.5mm size but with all the talk about the 38.5mm, i ended up buying one a few weeks ago to see what size suited me. Whilst i really WANTED to get caught up in the vibe of wearing a smaller watch, i found myself leaning towards 41.5mm.

Both looked ok in a mirror, but looking at my wrist directly, the 41.5mm appeared to sit better and flatter. I also found the hands and hour markers sat better in the larger dial vs the smaller dial with smaller markers etc.. Lucky for me, my wife found the 41.5mm more suitable as well.

I’ve since sold the 38.5mm and am extremely happy with my 41.5mm AT’s.

pics below - 38.5mm first, followed by 41.5mm. You can tell between the two by looking at the date window relative to edge of the dial.

Attachments

21 - 38 of 38 Posts