WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Seamaster collection is growing, here´s the third member of the vintage collection.

A Baby Ploprof.

So what makes this watch so special compared to all the other "NOS" pieces that can be
found on another famous auction site.

Here´s an example to compare.

Pic c/o by dcay

These "Nos" pieces have to main differences besides their non existing historical value
as they are put together from New Omega replacement parts and an old 1010 Omega movement which to 99% never powered a ref 166.0250 Seamaster.

One difference is the bezel insert, the original is a acrylic insert with Tritium painted inlay, meaning all numbers and 5 minute markers glow in the dark, the newer replacement is a
metal inlay with only a lume dot in the triangle.

The other difference is the dial, if you compare the 12 o´clock marker you will see that the original dial has 2 indices like the Ploprof and the replacement dial has only one.

I searched quite some to time for an example that has a nice vintage dial/hand and bezel and finally found this one. This watch really seen some hard times if you have a look at the case but i already ordered a replacement case (which is identical to the original case)
so it will be in awesome condition soon.
It´s a first owner watch and he was a dive instructor so that´s my it has a lot of dings.
It even came with the original mesh bracelet, which has by the way a different ref number on the clasp as the modern replacement ones. ;-)

One other interesting aspect of this watch is the fact that it was one of the first Seamaster
equipped with a sapphire crystal.
Maybe that was one of the reasons it was only certified to 120m :think:

For the rest of the watch i have to say it really is a nice tool watch with easy to read dial and hands, the orange hour hand is always easy to read at just a glance.
The bezel is bidirectional with 60 firm clicks.
The case is, compared to modern divers, moderately sized it sits low on the wrist and what i really like is the drilled lugs that make strap changing easy.
or the picture i mounted a 22m Isofrane strap but it is too heavy for this watch and i will switch to the mesh again.

Here´s another picture with the other two big guns :-d

Hope you did like the review. Enjoy

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
a very nice threesome indeed.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Very cool!
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I wonder about Ed´s 2nd watch. And what brand is it, did you find out

·
Registered
772 Posts
Rene,
beautiful addition!! nice growing vintage collection.
Cheers,
Q

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
I wonder about Ed´s 2nd watch. And what brand is it, did you find out
its probably a second SpM. [i've seen photos of the astroNs wearing rlx GMTs on their wrists in the cabin but not on the outside if the suits. Im sure there have been some 'unofficial' watches other then omega in space but maybe Ed needed to time two events?]

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Nice baby Ploprof. Didn't realize there was a difference between the vintage and NOS ones they sell. Thanks for sharing that info. The case on yours does look like it is in fairly good shape; don't you want to keep it the way it is?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nice baby Ploprof. Didn't realize there was a difference between the vintage and NOS ones they sell. Thanks for sharing that info. The case on yours does look like it is in fairly good shape; don't you want to keep it the way it is?
The case really has some some serious and deep dents, i believe even Omega can´t save it without taking off a whole lot of material.

·
Premium Member
13,596 Posts
good catch sulaco ;) btw where did you buy your seamaster 120 diving chrono????

·
Registered
8,485 Posts
Hello René ! Awesome read! Love your collection! Very envious! Just learned some facts I did not know before,thanks.
John Wilson

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello René ! Awesome read! Love your collection! Very envious! Just learned some facts I did not know before,thanks.
John Wilson
Hi John, long time no see. Thanks my friend.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some pics with the original Mesh, fits way better as the Isofrane i think.
By the way i did contact Omega and they confirmed that this is a original Seamaster in all parts
the movement number confirms it left the factory as a Seamaster Ref 166.250. :-!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I reveiced my Service case, a few days ago and i thought it might be a good idea to list the differences between the Service parts and the original.

In comparism to the original version there are following differences.

The bezel (original has a acrylic bezel that has fully lumed digits, Service type has metal inlay with only a lumed pip)

The dial (different lume markings especially the 12 o´clock marking, the original dial has 2 stripes, the service dial has one wider stripe)

The crown (different logo, the original one is more accentuated, thicker)

The caseback ( the punched Seamaster Logo has a different font and the engravings
on the inside are different. Old version engraved, Service type laser engraved)

The case itself ( identical except for the bezel ratcheting mechanism, the original case has
steel ball bearing and the service type has ceramic or plastic ball bearing)
(additionally a the thread for the caseback has been changed interchanging old and new caseback is not possible)

Hope this helps.

Merry X-mas and a happy new year to all of you. :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Congrats on a nice review and very impressive looking trio.

... 1010 Omega movement which to 99% never powered a ref 166.0250 Seamaster.
I am, however, interested in the origin of your statement regarding 1010 caliber and 166.0250 Seamaster, because Omega database says different?

Seamaster - 120

Diver watch

Reference

ST 166.0250
International collection

Movement

• Type: Automatic (mechanical)
  • Caliber number: 1010
  • Created in 1972
    17 jewels
    Central sweep-second hand

Functions
Date
Case

Stainless steel
Case back

• Screw-in
  • Full metal
Dial

Black, with luminous "index" hour markers and luminous hands

Crystal

Scratch-resistant sapphire
Bracelet

Stainless steel (attached)
Water resistance

120 meters

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I think he means 99% of 1010 movements installed in NOS builds were originally in a different model watch than a 166.0250, not that the 1010 was not originally in the 166.0250

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
OK I see what you mean. Interestingly enough, most baby ploprofs foung on ebay now, to which OP refers are powered by 1012 movements. That's why I thought he was referring to them

1 - 20 of 27 Posts