WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had posted it here before; hope to get more opinions about cosmic 's crown+spring issue.

Omega cosmic 166.0137 Seamaster diver ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All bros, I have a query regard my Seamaster Cosmic diver....

Though its running well as per vintage watch but everytime after I unscrewed the crown(after locking it in for a hours to days),the stem would straight away engage into the 2nd position(day settings) and the first few turns would be changing the day instead of 1st position(manual windable settings). So I would reposition the crown back to 1st position and screw the crown back. The watch would then be working well after the subsequent screwing in/unscrewing of crown,works all ok as per 1012.

1st position- winding
2nd position- day setting
3rd position- time setting

I heard that its due to the tight spring inside crown-stem component. Hence when crown is begin unscrewed,the stem will push out to 2nd position instead of 1st (neutral) position.

Is that true and possible.
If so,what would be done to remedy this issue? (change of crown ?)

Update today

anyone can help me or share any opinions on the above mentioned crown spring issue?
Apparently I've been asking my watchmaker the 2nd time and he said same thing; even if you change to a new crown(identical cosmic diver crown),it might have same results as he believe thats the way Omega made this crown+spring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had made an appointment with my watchmaker to have my Cosmic Diver serviced. And today I requested that he open up my watch on the spot so that I can take few photos of the movement & caseback before I leave my watch with him for servicing. It all looks ok as expected.

·
Registered
383 Posts

This part may be a bit short. You can use a needle nose and hold it right at the base, unscrew it. Put some flakes of the alloy that we use for soldering into that small hole, screw it back in and it should be a bit longer and may fix your problem.

*before you do that, make sure the crown tube is in correct position , inside of the crown is clean and free of dirt...etc.....

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Finally after some wait,I got back my watch that I had sent in for servicing . It includes a full servicing of the movement and surprised that
the supposing 'crown spring' issue has been solved!

It was nothing more than the usual watch servicing(strip/wash/clean/lubricate/assemble) and now this watch function as it should.

Smooth swooshing sound heard when auto winding with buttery smooth manual winding.

=D

GPGT:

extracted from a google search;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts