WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone, I just acquired this Seamaster Deville. Anyone know about what year it was made? And what caliber it would have? Also, does anyone know of a good watchmaker in the Cincinnati Ohio area to take it for service or should I send it to Omega? Here are some photos. The crystal is signed also. Between the lugs is "14K Gold", but there's another word I can't make out because of the band.

omega sd-5.jpg omega sd-2.jpg omega sd-3.jpg omega sd-4.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Reactions: joeuk

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
Nice watch

Judging by the wear of the gold on the lugs, it might have said 14kt Gold Plated or Gold Filled

The watch is what is known as a top loader where the crystal has to come out to access the movement.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Don't send it to Omega- they'll charge $1K, and likely polish the case to the death of it.

Obviously, in order to find out the year of manufacture, you'll have to access the movement, as without the serial number (located on the movement alright) finding out the year is impossible.

Journeyforce is right- as Seamaster De Ville models usually do, it has a typical unishell aka "top loader" case, where the movement is accessed through the front. To access the movement, first the split stem has to be removed, then using a special pump- the crystal has to be forced out by increasing the air pressure in the case. Better don't try doing that yourself.

Case material indication ("14K gold") indicates and American market piece, as only these had the case material marked on the outside. I as well am curious, if there is "plated" or "filled" after "14K gold", as the case looks worn, with a lot of pitting to the case back- however, I see no obvious brassing. If there is no "plated" or "filled" there, that would mean it's solid gold.

·
Registered
7,845 Posts
Missed that lug... Gold-filled, then- as can be expected of a US market model.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Premium Member
13,464 Posts
If you want a quality repair then go with bob ridley. Omega Bienne are just overcharging their customers for beyond medicore and not period correct restorations

Reactions: busmatt
1 - 8 of 8 Posts