WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Omega Seamaster Professional 300M
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

After a very long time and many watches bought and sold, the one that has stuck to my wrist and stayed there was the Omega Seamaster Diver 300M. Given my past habits of buying more classically styled watches this came as a bit of a shock for me, but as my preferences have evolved over time and I've discovered more of what I like (and what I really don't like), the Seamaster has proven to be the best fit for me personally... so far, at least :)

Omega.jpg

I've put together an article which chronicles my collecting journey, which watches I hoped would be "the one", and how I ended up settling on an Omega. I hope you all enjoy!

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Hey All,

After a very long time and many watches bought and sold, the one that has stuck to my wrist and stayed there was the Omega Seamaster Diver 300M. Given my past habits of buying more classically styled watches this came as a bit of a shock for me, but as my preferences have evolved over time and I've discovered more of what I like (and what I really don't like), the Seamaster has proven to be the best fit for me personally... so far, at least :)

View attachment 15929612

I've put together an article which chronicles my collecting journey, which watches I hoped would be "the one", and how I ended up settling on an Omega. I hope you all enjoy!

That was a good read, thank you. I feel kind of lucky. I wanted the Seamaster 300M for 25 years and when I finally felt it was okay to start collecting, I grabbed it right away, I knew what my favorite watch was all along...

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
I went ahead and read your Speedmaster article as well. Enjoyed that one too....like I NEED yet another Omega...:unsure:

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was a good read, thank you. I feel kind of lucky. I wanted the Seamaster 300M for 25 years and when I finally felt it was okay to start collecting, I grabbed it right away, I knew what my favorite watch was all along...
Thank you! That is really lucky, both for your sanity and your wallet, lol. I wish I had a similar knowledge when I got started.

Reactions: JLittle

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I enjoyed the article. Probably because it wasn’t a list of specs or a bunch of history, it’s just your experience and why it’s earned it’s way into your stable of keepers. Nice job

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I enjoyed the article. Probably because it wasn’t a list of specs or a bunch of history, it’s just your experience and why it’s earned it’s way into your stable of keepers. Nice job
Thank you very much, glad to hear you liked it :)

Reactions: wheelman46

·
Registered
15 Posts
good read, thanks for taking the time to chronicle the journey!

I keep coming back to a different seamaster (the 90's one)... it looks understated from afar but has lots of details and edges to look at from up close :)

Hey All,

View attachment 15929612

·
Registered
102 Posts
That was a great read. I just acquired my first Omega and it happens to be an SMP 300 with the "chrome" dial. I simply love it.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Thanks for the link, @Covenant, it was a nice read. I agree with you re: the SMP. I wanted a nice diver that didn’t necessarily scream, “Look at me!” That said, the occasional compliment is nice to hear. Personally, I’m not a real fan of the bracelet. Mine stays on a strap, anyway. If you ever decide to try an aftermarket strap, I can recommend the Hirsch Accent (top) or the DiModell Carbonio (bottom). Enjoy your SMP!

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Good article. Nice to see the North flag getting a mention as well. A very underrated watch in the Tudor lineup and a pretty brave watch for them to produce. I completely agree with you on the Seamaster as well. Now its here to stay, you need to get the Omega rubber for it. Really changes the look of it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you ever decide to try an aftermarket strap, I can recommend the Hirsch Accent (top) or the DiModell Carbonio (bottom).
Oh man, that Hirsch Accent looks awesome! Is that vulcanised rubber? I've been considering a Zealande strap for ages, but they're quite pricy and I'm not entirely sold on how their "endlinks" for want of a better term, attach to the lugs. They buckle inwards slightly just below the lug horns and I find it offputting:

Now its here to stay, you need to get the Omega rubber for it. Really changes the look of it.
OEM rubber is just too damned expensive. A$500 for two pieces of rubber?! Pass. I get that I've already spent ~$6K on the watch, and an additional $500 isn't a significant increase, but I can't wrap my head around the logic of spending that much money on rubber, regardless of however well its made.

Reactions: usmc_k9_vet

·
Registered
15 Posts
agree on the OEM rubber (but others swear by it, so it must be good)

the zealande rubber strap looks weird new, but the bend at the lugs smoothes out over time as it conforms to your wrist. but yes, not cheap for rubber!

Oh man, that Hirsch Accent looks awesome! Is that vulcanised rubber? I've been considering a Zealande strap for ages, but they're quite pricy and I'm not entirely sold on how their "endlinks" for want of a better term, attach to the lugs. They buckle inwards slightly just below the lug horns and I find it offputting:

View attachment 15931745

OEM rubber is just too damned expensive. A$500 for two pieces of rubber?! Pass. I get that I've already spent ~$6K on the watch, and an additional $500 isn't a significant increase, but I can't wrap my head around the logic of spending that much money on rubber, regardless of however well its made.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I enjoyed reading your journey. You describe with perfect conviction why the Seamaster works for you. I have to ask though, how did the bezel become the most damage prone watch part for you? You describe desk diving and writing as your primary activities. Are you writing and typing with the back of your hand?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts

View attachment 15931745

The Hirsch is a natural rubber...really pliable/supple. I have a couple of 'em. When I bought my SMP, I was going to buy it on the rubber strap. However, the Accent was on the watch I was wearing at the time I went to the AD. I liked it better than the OEM strap, so I ended up buying the watch on a bracelet. I immediately had the AD switch it out for the Accent. It fits the watch well, and it has a "sheen" that really goes with the dial. I ended up putting the other watch on another strap. Now the SMP is pretty much going to stay on one of the straps in the pics I posted (Which one is situationally dependent.).

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I enjoyed reading your journey. You describe with perfect conviction why the Seamaster works for you. I have to ask though, how did the bezel become the most damage prone watch part for you? You describe desk diving and writing as your primary activities. Are you writing and typing with the back of your hand?
Lol. Its just that I don't tend to baby my watches. I live and act normally, without any real consideration for protecting what's on my wrist. So my watch cops the occasional knock against a side wall or a doorframe, and if I'm doing domestic work I don't tend to take my watch off first. Its the same reason I've come to appreciate antimagnetism. I briefly owned a Nomos Neomatik which I managed to magnetize several times from getting too close to phone or tablet magnetic covers and keyboards. I don't want to have to be wary of things for the sake of an accessory.

Reactions: WinkyDinkyDog

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Are you sure on that price? From memory, I dont think it was too expensive when I got mine. Around the £200 mark I think. The buckle is really nice on the OEM. It has twisted sides like the Seamaster lugs. You should be able to get a good discount on one from your AD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts