WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have just purchased a omega seamaster. Calendar it says 503 caliber case number of 2849 5 SC REF on movement 157 821 28. There is a slight price of black on minute dial missing slightly I think. I purchased of friend of a friend who has said he had it given to him by father as a present in 1960 and had it stored away. I hope numbers are right my eyes arnt what they used to me
Any help would be great to see if it's genuine thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Reactions: bobbee

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Gold cap models usually had the bezel and the main bloc gold plated, and the lugs were plated on top and sides. The surface under the lugs and the case back remained stainless steel. Generally, these watches were a bit better than the standard gold plated models- a gold cap has a stainless steel case with plated surfaces, a gold plated watch has a plated brass case with a steel back. You can know that even by the case back inscription- "acier inoxydable" (stainless steel) implies that all the components are made from that material. A plated brass case would have been marked "fond acier inoxydable" (stainless steel back).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts