WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved an Omega Seamaster 2255.80.00 from my Fiance as a wedding present. This is my first nice watch, and my first automatic.

One odd thing I've noticed was that recently, the watch hasn't been losing time, but the 'date' field has not been rolling over. I've manually 'caught up' the watch by moving the date forward in the morning.

The first time I wasn't worried, but I've now done this the forth time. Is something wrong with my watch, or am I doing something wrong?

I wear it just about 24x7. I take it off and manually wind it a few turns every few days.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
SO, the date works when the crown is in the first position, which suggests that the problem is not with the date wheel but with the date changing mechanism. Have you tried moving the crown to the second position and rotating the hands by twenty four hours to see if that will persuade it to roll over?

Either way, I suspect that this will be a warranty issue.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SO, the date works when the crown is in the first position, which suggests that the problem is not with the date wheel but with the date changing mechanism. Have you tried moving the crown to the second position and rotating the hands by twenty four hours to see if that will persuade it to roll over?

Either way, I suspect that this will be a warranty issue.

Good luck.
That does seem to work. I had to go around twice, so even though it is the afternoon, the watch seemed to think it was morning.

I'm wondering if I was simply advancing the date, but only to the next morning/evening, and that I've consistently been basically '12 hours out' and thats why the issue recurred in the mornings.

I also noticed that it stopped a few times, but I had read here earlier that my rare winding was probably not enough, and I will be doing a dozen or so rotations from now on.

Time will tell!

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
I thought that was a possibility. So now make sure that it is fully wound, about forty times, make sure that it is set to either morning or evening as appropriate. and then wear it for a couple of days and see what happens. From fully should it should be able to keep itself running forever on the wrist unless you don't wear it.

The mechanism that turns the date over in the second position is the same one that turns it over in ordinary use and so it sounds like you are OK! Don't worry if the date doesn't change at spot on twelve. Ten minutes or so either way is fine.

Glad to be able to help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that was a possibility. So now make sure that it is fully wound, about forty times, make sure that it is set to either morning or evening as appropriate. and then wear it for a couple of days and see what happens. From fully should it should be able to keep itself running forever on the wrist unless you don't wear it.

The mechanism that turns the date over in the second position is the same one that turns it over in ordinary use and so it sounds like you are OK! Don't worry if the date doesn't change at spot on twelve. Ten minutes or so either way is fine.

Glad to be able to help.
I do appreciate it!

I just gave it a nice big wind, and since I wear it everywhere, shower, sleeping, etc, it has always tended to wind itself except for a few occasions when I've had it off my wrist for a day or weekend or so. I'm guessing during one of those occasions I simply let it spin out, and never properly reset it, leading to the date lapses.

G

·
You keep wearing it to bed, you may find that your fiance' takes it back or sells it!!!! NExt time you roll over and smack her in the head with your watch, you're back to wearing a Timex!!!o|
I do appreciate it!

I just gave it a nice big wind, and since I wear it everywhere, shower, sleeping, etc, it has always tended to wind itself except for a few occasions when I've had it off my wrist for a day or weekend or so. I'm guessing during one of those occasions I simply let it spin out, and never properly reset it, leading to the date lapses.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
sounds like all it is doing is changing twelve hours late....that means you just have to advance the hands another twelve hours and you should be ok. If you want, check out this video....it may help.

As for any automatic, a full wind when you first start wearing it is recommended. Generally that's about 40 to 50 winds. Then as long as you wear it 8 to 10 hours a day, it should stay wound.

Congrats!

JP

·
Registered
17 Posts
This thread is very old, but I just wanted to say: I just received a 2018 version of the Seamaster 300m, and it has the same exact issue, even with the Omega 8800 movement. I can cycle through the date when the crown is in the first position, but specifically between dates 1 and 8, when trying to turn over the date by passing 12am with the crown in the second position, the date will flinch and stay at the prior date (i.e., it will perpetually stay the 2nd of the month, or the 3rd of the month, whichever you had manually set the date to). Returning it for a refund, must say I'm a bit disappointed seeing this kind of mechanical failure on a brand new Omega.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts