WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I received mine about a week ago as well. It’s a stunning watch. The biggest surprise to me is the bezel - not only does it look stunning, but it is actually smooth. This picture shows it well - it sure what the coating/overlay is, but it certainly offers a level of protection that you don’t see on other bezels of the same appearance.
I contacted Omega asking them what the material use for coating the bezel is, but haven’t heard back yet.
Anyone have any thoughts?
It's laser ablated titanium. There's no coating on it, it's just how the titanium looks after the ablation process. Same technique used on the 25th Anniversary Diver 300 bezel, the solid gold Diver 300 chrono (both D300 bezel inserts are ceramic) and the Worldtimer's Earth disc (titanium).

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Very nice and different, the bezel and red second hand changes a lot.
Congrats! For sure a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks, I get the process to make the bezel, but if you look at the picture posted, specifically around the “50” marker you can see the reflection off of the coating. Or look at the inside edge around the bezel - you can see it there as well.

Unlike my Yachtmaster which you can feel the laser abatement, on this Nekton version there is a thick clear coating over the entire bezel. Almost like a sapphire bezel...

As I said, I was expecting it to be just like other laser abated bezels, but it isnt...
Hmm, I'll have a closer look tomorrow at work. To the best of my knowledge there's no additional coating but it also wouldn't be the first time Omega omits a feature from the specs sheet.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Just got mine out. Here’s another angle - look at “40”. I thought it was some kind of bezel protector at first, but it’s far too refined/precisely fitting for that...

View attachment 15619292
And another, because it’s such a stunning watch:
View attachment 15619294
I'm not trying to be difficult but are you sure you don't have a plastic ring covering it?

Have a look at the 12 o'clock lume pip and you can see the large cut-out for it. Also it ends just before the edge, you can see it at 40 and 30.

But as I said I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow and take some pictures.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I'm not trying to be difficult but are you sure you don't have a plastic ring covering it?

Have a look at the 12 o'clock lume pip and you can see the large cut-out for it. Also it ends just before the edge, you can see it at 40 and 30.

But as I said I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow and take some pictures.

Yep, it was a bezel protector. So well executed that I’m sure many owners (OP as well) will miss it if the dealer doesn’t remove it.
Took me using a tiny pin to catch the edge and several attempts later, was able to pry it up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yep, it was a bezel protector. So well executed that I’m sure many owners (OP as well) will miss it if the dealer doesn’t remove it.
Took me using a tiny pin to catch the edge and several attempts later, was able to pry it up.
Haha, that's alright. Enjoy it

·
Registered
385 Posts
Excellent video done by WatchAdvisor on the Nekton edition. They have some great still shots, video, and visuals of this model for those who are interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
On a regular Seamaster Diver 300M dial, the waves are engraved into the surface creating a trench, which is negative relief. On your watch, positive relief means the waves extend above surface of the dial, like a mountain. It's a subtle but cool feature.

Congratulations on your new watch.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the positive relief refers to the bezel, where the numbers are "raised up" instead of "engraved down". Meanwhile, the waves on the dial are still laser edged the same way, not raised off the dial, but on the normal SMPs the trenches are matte while the dial is polished, vice versa for the Nekton.

Edit: Thanks to @heady91 for correcting, the positive relief initially did correctly refer to the dial, but it does also refer to the bezel. Apologies to @Lee_K.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
You are correct and I stand in error. I had to look at photos of the Nekton dial and thought I saw a positive relief but your photo definitively shows otherwise.

I wil modify my initial post.

Well, it appears that this isn't correct either and the Nekton dial is in fact a positive relief with the dial detail being raised off the dial surface.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the positive relief refers to the bezel, where the numbers are "raised up" instead of "engraved down". Meanwhile, the waves on the dial are still laser edged the same way, not raised off the dial, but on the normal SMPs the trenches are matte while the dial is polished, vice versa for the Nekton.
View attachment 15643216
Literally from the website:

"laser ablated black ceramic [ZrO2] dial, matt finished with polished waves in positive relief"

The next time in at work (Wednesday) I'll take a macro and you'll see that they are indeed raised.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Literally from the website:

"laser ablated black ceramic [ZrO2] dial, matt finished with polished waves in positive relief"

The next time in at work (Wednesday) I'll take a macro and you'll see that they are indeed raised.

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the macro shots. I'm not 100% sure. This is what the articles online is saying,
"The insert is made of grade 5 titanium. The markers and diving scale are the result of a laser ablation process. Instead of “engraved’ markings in negative relief, the diving scale is in positive relief, adding texture and a 3D effect."

Edit: you are correct, the positive relief does refer to both the dial and bezel. So it appears the WatchAdvisor video got the dial detail incorrect.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Of course I forgot my actual camera but my phone coupled with a loupe proved enough.

Since the black dial of the Nekton makes it quite hard to photograph the waves, I grabbed the 25th Anniversary LE Diver 300.

You can see that the waves are definitely positive and not engraved into the dial.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Of course I forgot my actual camera but my phone coupled with a loupe proved enough.

Since the black dial of the Nekton makes it quite hard to photograph the waves, I grabbed the 25th Anniversary LE Diver 300.

You can see that the waves are definitely positive and not engraved into the dial.

Thank you for the pictures! It's the first I've seen that clearly depicts the raised waves.

Reactions: heady91
21 - 40 of 46 Posts