WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Omega Seamaster Omegamatic the capacitor is dead and I've now sourced a new one. Would any of you happen to know how to replace it? Can you please post a step by step instructions with pics if you have? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I just had this done at a shop yesterday. It's not like a normal quartz where you take the cover off pop out the battery and put in a new one. If you are comfortable taking a mechanical watch apart and putting it back together it should be no problem. I'm not so I paid someone to do it.

I watched so can give you the basic steps first they opened the watch, took off the dust cover, and took off the rotor assembly and bridge (at least 3 screws) then they pulled the gear that connected the movement and the auto winding module, then took of a plate that looked like it contained electronics and held the capacitor on (another 3 or so screws), then swapped the battery, put the plate back on, put the gear back in, oiled the pivots/jewels on the rotor assembly and put that back on, dust cover back on screwed the case back down and then pressure tested it.

edit: I think M4TT has done it himself so you may ask him.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Well, not on an omegamatic, but on a couple of autoquartz which is essentially the same watch. I know I wrote it up on here somewhere, so search is your friend I guess. Mind you, I can't find it with a cursory search. However, I would say that, without the correct tools and plenty of practice, this is one that is likely to end up with a broken watch. If you have to ask how to do it, you are probably not ready to. I'd take it in to a watchmaker if I were you.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Goto M4tt's profile and search through posts he's started and you'll find it.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
No, I said threads started, not all posts, you did say you started the thread right? So that's only 3 pages of posts to look through :)

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
No, I said threads started, not all posts, you did say you started the thread right? So that's only 3 pages of posts to look through :)
I don't think I did say I started the thread, merely that I wrote it up somewhere. I can't actually remember, but it seems more like the sort of thing I would write in response to someone else's question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts