WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Long time forum reader but first time poster here!:-d:-d

I'm 22 years old and I'm planning to get an Omega Seamaster Professional 2221.80.00 quartz version as a university graduation gift from my parents :-!.

c5uZkDGl1453HpwEQB32eY97paSXGZZw.jpg

I'm a little scared though because it's going to be my first luxury watch and before I purchase it I want to be absolutely sure that I won't find a watch afterwards that I would have liked more. That's why I need your help to recommend me alternatives to the above SMP based on the criteria below:

A) Budget is strictly up to $2000.
B) I'm not planning to get a preowned watch (for those ready to suggest a used PO or a Speedy)
C) There is no option to do extra saving myself and buy the <enter random high end $3000 watch name here>

I've also considered the Aquaracer 500m quartz version and I would like your opinion if it would be a better choice too. Keep in mind that I'm not bothered about the movements. An automatic is surely the better choice but my priorities are the looks, prestige, heritage and the strong brand name. Although I'm a sailing enthusiast I'm not commited to diving watches only, pilot suggestions are also welcome. I would like to thank you in advance for your suggestions ;-).

·
Seiko, Cartier Moderator
2,601 Posts
If the movement isn't important to you and you wan't your watch to be recognised then the SMP is really your best option. Don't bother with the Aquaracer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given the criteria, that is exactly the watch I would choose.
Actually, where are you? That can't be had for $2000 can it?
I live in Greece :-d. The price I got from my local Omega boutique here in Athens was 1500 euros which is pretty much $2000.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I say save throw some of your own cash on top and get an Automatic Omega. My first Omega was a aqua terra quartz and I liked the watch a lot but realized I wanted an automatic, about a year after I sold and bought an Automatic 8500 Omega Hour Vision....... the quartz just didn't satisfy me.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
It depends on what you want out of watches. If you want a watch people will recognize the name on, and you don't plan on becoming WIS or hanging out on WUS for hundreds of hours this may be just want you need. You get a nice looking watch that many people think is great, and you get on with life. If you plan on collecting watches, becoming WIS, or hanging out here for a long time, you may regret you went for a quartz down the line (of course maybe you won't as well). If it were me, I would go for something nice, recognized, but automatic. The Longines Legend Diver would a beautiful choice in your price range. If you wanted to go for something more sturdy or sporty, go for a Sinn U1.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's a lot of money for a quartz even if an Omega ( I know, I have an AT quartz). The longines LD suggestion is a very good alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Longines is indeed a very elegant watch. But it lacks the wow factor for me and although it would fit very nicely with my clothing style I find its dial a bit old fashioned. The Sinn looks ok but its hands makes me go lol. Maybe I'll go watch hunting today and see the Longines in person. Thank you all for your help. I really wish I could save some more and buy the SMP auto but I'm getting it as early as next month so I'm out of time. I'll make sure I'll provide you some good photos of whichever one I get.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it's an excellent choice. With your list of criteria, this is the first (possibly only) watch I would think of. You can do research on the whole SMP quartz vs auto debate, but the bottom line is that it is a finely constructed timepiece
with one of the most comfortable bracelets in the business and has classic good looks that will sustain it for years to come. Another thing to consider is that if you are building a collection, there is something to be said for having a quartz
"grab 'n go" piece.

·
Registered
14,030 Posts
I'd jump on the Omega. A quality watch at a lower price because of the quartz which will never need an expensive service, is more accurate and more durable. I'd skip the Aquaracer as they have had so many crown problems. Head over to the Tag forum and search on stripped crown.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have this watch and you will love it. It is truly a classic. I do admit there are times when I wish I saved for an auto but that's okay. It gives me an opportunity to buy another one...lol. Also, you're only 22 so if you do ever change your mind and want an auto you have plenty of time to save up. Good luck and happy graduation!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I think it's an excellent choice. With your list of criteria, this is the first (possibly only) watch I would think of. You can do research on the whole SMP quartz vs auto debate, but the bottom line is that it is a finely constructed timepiece
with one of the most comfortable bracelets in the business and has classic good looks that will sustain it for years to come. Another thing to consider is that if you are building a collection, there is something to be said for having a quartz
"grab 'n go" piece.
+1. One of the watches I regret selling most was my Seamaster Quartz. Very comfortable, well made watch that will always be stylish and in demand.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have this particular omega, and I can say that it is fantastic. Mine is dead to rights accurate. In the last 9 months it has not deviated from standard time. It's in lock step with the atomic watches that set themselves every night.

I have several automatics and I love having this one as a nice grab and go.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Given the criteria, that is exactly the watch I would choose.
Actually, where are you? That can't be had for $2000 can it?
I got one for $1800 just under a year ago via watchmaxx.com.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
+1. One of the watches I regret selling most was my Seamaster Quartz. Very comfortable, well made watch that will always be stylish and in demand.
Selling my SMP is a big regret for me too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'd jump on the Omega. A quality watch at a lower price because of the quartz which will never need an expensive service, is more accurate and more durable. I'd skip the Aquaracer as they have had so many crown problems. Head over to the Tag forum and search on stripped crown.
I have no problem with this choice although I think the OP's reasons for getting the watch probably don't resonate with some WIS.

I just wanted to point out that the quartz SMP will still need to be serviced and the pricing is almost as expensive as for mechanicals (if you go through Omega). You can get it done more cheaply, for sure, but then you might have to find a local watchmaker.

At the very least it should be pressure tested every year if you intend on taking it in the water.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I bought mine with inheritance money left to me and it's still my favourite watch, I've since bought a uboat as an everyday/drinking watch that I don't mind bashing, and a nomos for dressier occasions but this is still without doubt my favourite watch! It looks awesome, keeps perfect time, great as a grab and go and feel pof when I wear it! I'd recommend getting one! Don't buy a tag

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I've also considered the Aquaracer 500m quartz version and I would like your opinion if it would be a better choice too. Keep in mind that I'm not bothered about the movements. An automatic is surely the better choice but my priorities are the looks, prestige, heritage and the strong brand name. Although I'm a sailing enthusiast I'm not commited to diving watches only, pilot suggestions are also welcome. I would like to thank you in advance for your suggestions ;-).
No. It isn't. Enjoy your watch.

Reactions: dilal and ljb187
1 - 20 of 48 Posts