WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently I was having dinner with friends, both wore omega.
After giving them my compliments (I love omega a lot) I asked them why they chose it.
One replied that being too expensive rolex had preferred to spend less and still have a good watch, the other friend told me that rolex was unpleasant and therefore he chose an omega.
I ask you, who buys omega are people who dislike rolex or because rolex cost too much?
I sincerely would buy omega because I like its products, but I see many people who buy omega as a second choice , why?
I still see many people who consider omega a not very attractive brand.
especially in people not fond of watches (99% of the population) they consider omega much lower than rolex when in my opinion it makes excellent products.
how can this huge percentage of people change their mind?
why do people have this perception of things?

EDIT
until a month ago I was away from the world of "luxury" watches (even watches above 1000 usd / eur) so I never asked myself why omega was seen as a "second level" brand.
currently interested in luxury watches I noticed that omega has a really excellent line up and there are several watches that I would like to have.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Back in the 90s in college, I was first exposed to Rolex Submariners. Lots of students wore them and I thought they looked awesome. When I saw them going for around $5,000, I was shocked. That was a whole semester of dorm fees or good used car.

When I saw the Seamaster SMP 300 selling for about $1500, that seemed much more reasonable - particularly after visiting a Rolex AD. So I guess I went with Omega for the price.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Recently I was having dinner with friends, both wore omega.
After giving them my compliments (I love omega a lot) I asked them why they chose it.
One replied that being too expensive rolex had preferred to spend less and still have a good watch, the other friend told me that rolex was unpleasant and therefore he chose an omega.
I ask you, who buys omega are people who dislike rolex or because rolex cost too much?
I sincerely would buy omega because I like its products, but I see many people who buy omega as a second choice , why?
I still see many people who consider omega a not very attractive brand.
especially in people not fond of watches (99% of the population) they consider omega much lower than rolex when in my opinion it makes excellent products.
how can this huge percentage of people change their mind?
why do people have this perception of things?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have had both brands. Loved them both for what they were not for what the other one is and went the other way as a second best.

I currently don’t have a Rolex in the collection but want to get another. I do have an omega. This isn’t a preference but was opportunistic. I had a chance to get a vintage constellation so I did. After saving again I’ll get another vintage Rolex.

I would hope people would would buy watches for what they are, not to compromise.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The reason people have their perception is down to years and years of marketing.
Both make excellent watches and you cannot go wrong with either, but Rolex has done fantastic marketing and now most folk when thinking of buying a luxury watch tend to think of Rolex first, but Omega make some very cool watches like the Omega dark side of the moon and should not be overlooked.

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
I think you need to hang out with different friends.

Of course Omega is not a very attractive brand. Stop anyone in the street and ask Rolex vs Omega, what would you choose? I am sure an overwhelming majority would say Rolex.

The general population would not even dare step into a shop that has a Rolex sign outside it. It is the perception of exclusivity and cost that turn people off. People have this impression because of years of Rolex marketing that associate the brand with all things wealthy. Think prestigious sporting and cultural events like Formula One, Golf tournaments, Yachting, Tennis, Equestrian, Arts. All events and activities associated with wealthy people. https://pressroom.rolex.com/en/sports-and-culture.html

Can't blame your friends for the perception. You should wear your Rolex like a boss.

By the way, #In Before the Lock!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
until a month ago I was away from the world of "luxury" watches (even watches above 1000 usd / eur) so I never asked myself why omega was seen as a "second level" brand.
currently interested in luxury watches I noticed that omega has a really excellent line up and there are several watches that I would like to have.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you need to hang out with different friends.

Of course Omega is not a very attractive brand. Stop anyone in the street and ask Rolex vs Omega, what would you choose? I am sure an overwhelming majority would say Rolex.

The general population would not even dare step into a shop that has a Rolex sign outside it. It is the perception of exclusivity and cost that turn people off. People have this impression because of years of Rolex marketing that associate the brand with all things wealthy. Think prestigious sporting and cultural events like Formula One, Golf tournaments, Yachting, Tennis, Equestrian, Arts. All events and activities associated with wealthy people. https://pressroom.rolex.com/en/sports-and-culture.html

Can't blame your friends for the perception. You should wear your Rolex like a boss.

By the way, #In Before the Lock!!!
I sincerely appreciate these friends also because they have been able to move towards a different brand from rolex.
It's true, maybe there are those who did it for the price and those who dislike, however, have always turned to a brand of excellent quality.
I know people who, in order to say they have a rolex, are looking for one 40/50 years ago to pay little and boast of having it.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Love and own both brands.

·
Registered
9,029 Posts
Both great brands, I own both. Admittedly more Omega though. :-d

·
Registered
600 Posts
Sounds like this should be OoO ...

For now I'm setting my sights on this beauty after considering the Moon Watch.

20200626_223426_1593254316774.jpg

2extytby8qp31_1593254325353.jpg

Google Photos - not mine. This watch looks sexual.

Reactions: Sappie66

·
Registered
45 Posts
For me, Omega is second to Rolex, both on value depreciation and to overall quality.

Before I bought my 2nd Rolex I looked at the Omega Seamaster - the date window was not switching date correctly at the boutique - maybe I was just unlucky, but it was brand new and at an genuine Omega AD....

I also see “a lot” of speed masters 2-3 years old with moist inside the case after wearing it in the rain..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Omega makes a great watch, every bit as good as Rolex. I enjoy my Omega very much, but there is just something special about Rolex to me.

·
Premium Member
6,106 Posts
Sounds like this should be OoO ...

For now I'm setting my sights on this beauty after considering the Moon Watch.

View attachment 15249435

View attachment 15249437

Google Photos - not mine. This watch looks sexual.
I am starting to worry about you MeiXiang... forget about those pedestrian brands and stick with your Rolex collecting; don't you have an Air-King to replace?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am starting to worry about you MeiXiang... forget about those pedestrian brands and stick with your Rolex collecting; don't you have an Air-King to replace?
:think:

You're right about that one. I have a severe case of head trauma from the lockdown. I've not been at an AD in close to 3 months. The Rolex bug always bites hardest when i'm there at my local boutique. SoOo little time sOoo many watches

·
Registered
144 Posts
@MeiXiang, oh no! We need to come over to save you! A Grand Seiko is about as sexy as a trash bin.

Here, got a picture for you.

View attachment 15249579
Thats funny but true. Wife has had 2 GS, one a red Iwati dial GMT limited to 500. She let it go, the other a Snowflake, it' doesn't see the light of day and needs to go. The quality is amazing of course. We both find them a bit boring. The 2 GS AD's that I know, one in Ontario the other in Orlando have trouble selling them, other than the Snowflake.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts