WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Of course Omega is not a very attractive brand. Stop anyone in the street and ask Rolex vs Omega, what would you choose? I am sure an overwhelming majority would say Rolex.
That's very true. Rolex holds value, that's what the boomers will tell you. ;)

These days, their kids are interested in Tudor, you have to look that way if you want something that's every bit as good, gains value and looks 50 years old.

Horology and innovation thereof is not important at all. Omega has done squat to make a difference to people's bankbooks. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Sounds like this should be OoO ...

For now I'm setting my sights on this beauty after considering the Moon Watch.

View attachment 15249435

View attachment 15249437

Google Photos - not mine. This watch looks sexual.
This is by far my favourite GS. However I dislike the fact that they have no lume and cost a bit too much MSRP. They also have a very hard time in resellers market.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
This is by far my favourite GS. However I dislike the fact that they have no lume and cost a bit too much MSRP. They also have a very hard time in resellers market.
If you're buying to generate attractive returns I guess nothing but a hot unicorn Rolex will do?

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you're buying to generate attractive returns I guess nothing but a hot unicorn Rolex will do?
Not at all, I have no intent on selling to make profits. I can't afford a GS to begin with, was simply making a comment as they seem to have a hard time in the second hand market. Even LE watches sit for a very long time. Have been following a couple on C24.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Given the innate quality (which gets referred to frequently with GS) doesn't it make a great second hand buy, then?

Quartz GSs are expensive in the UK (as they are everywhere) but I see competitive used/gently preowned prices, even in continental Europe where the £ doesn't go very far. If I was after a high q quartz...

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Given the innate quality (which gets referred to frequently with GS) doesn't it make a great second hand buy, then?

Quartz GSs are expensive in the UK (as they are everywhere) but I see competitive used/gently preowned prices, even in continental Europe where the £ doesn't go very far. If I was after a high q quartz...

·
Registered
309 Posts
It does. I, however am the type who feels that given the amount involved, I should be purchasing something new. Its part of the experience IMO.

·
Registered
466 Posts
@MeiXiang, oh no! We need to come over to save you! A Grand Seiko is about as sexy as a trash bin.

Here, got a picture for you.

View attachment 15249579
Ready for the flames here. Although I own a Rolex, and don't own a GS... I'd have to disagree with you. I think GS's are sexier than Rolex's. I have a Rolex, because I've always wanted one, and that it holds it's value.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The submariner and seamaster 300m are equal in my eyes, so the fact that I was able to pick up a used seamaster for 1/4 the price of a used submariner made the choice easy.

·
Registered
18,326 Posts
Ready for the flames here. Although I own a Rolex, and don't own a GS... I'd have to disagree with you. I think GS's are sexier than Rolex's. I have a Rolex, because I've always wanted one, and that it holds it's value.
Well, my AD also sells Grand Seiko and I felt nothing after seeing them in the metal - meh, just meh.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Second choice? Depends. I was stuck between a DJ and an AT, and after months of debating and trying them on, I went with the AT (also prefer the GS 9f’s...DJ killers at a fraction of the price). That being said, it was kind of my second choice, because if a white OP 39 would’ve been available I would’ve gone down that avenue without hesitation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was lusting after a Rolex Sub for ages, until I had an extended borrow of a friend of mines and I wasn't that blown away. Actually felt a bit blingy for my taste and I may end up canceling (or just flipping it) when I reach the top of the waiting list at my local AD. I do like the look of the Omega 1948 Small Seconds - so really considering that for a dress watch. I have been enjoying a Tudor BB58 these last few weeks - and much prefer the more muted looks over the Rolex.

I have been watching lots of videos on a GS - as considering that too - but technical marvels aside, it doesn't really grab me with a passion. Once covid lifts and I can get in to see one in the flesh then that might change.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Go ahead and buy it if you like. Good for you if you like a Grand Seiko. That is your opinion.

It is my opinion that a Grand Seiko is meh and I am entitled to my opinion. So that’s that.
It's like freedom of opinions here? You are old fashioned. You can't just express wrong opinion. Today you are entitled to your WRONG opinion, I’m scared to even think what kind of opinion you will have tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,241 Posts
For me, there's pretty of room in the watchbox for Rolex and Omega to co-exist nicely. That said, the reality is that Omega has always been second to Rolex. In recent years, they've tried to catch up by moving upmarket and cleaning up their sales distribution channels. Then Rolex moved upmarket themselves and has positioned Tudor to fight poor Omega.

I think Omega has too many Bond LE's and (insert favorite color) Side of the Moon watches. A few are cool, like the Spectre and Snoopy watches, but most aren't. The Apollo 11th 50th LE had some much potential, until they put Aldrin's butt on it. They need to clean up their catalog a bit.

Their new Speedmaster 321 has the potential to reach Daytona-mania levels so let's see.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts