WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Speedy Pro I need repaired--I took it to an independent watch maker and he told me that I need to take it to the manufacturer, as it is a problem with a gear. I will probably take it to the service center in SF. I called them and they give free on the spot estimates. Before I make the drive there, does anyone know how they do the pricing? On Omega's website (http://www.omegawatches.ch/index.php?id=343&L=0) it lists the price for an old mechanical chronograph repair at 490 CHF, or $445. I do not need the 20 step repair process. I only want the chronograph hour totalizer subdial hand fixed (it's stuck and does not respond to the chrono running or the reset pusher).

Does anyone have experience with a simple repair and not a complete overhaul/servicing? I'd much rather not pay the $445.

Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
I can all but guarantee that Omega is going to want to do a full service. I'd try another independent, first.

eric

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Shucks... the independent I took it to said that Omega does not send its parts out. I guess he doesn't know about ofrei.com? Anyone know a good repair place in the East Bay Area (northern California). I am in Lafayette and will try going to Novina Fine Jewelry.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
In my experience, if its not under warranty, an authorized Omega service center will only do the full service when there is a problem with the movement. For a Speedmaster Pro this is around 500$ in the US. If you want only the specific problem dealt with you need to find an independent repair shop. Look for someone who knows how to work on complicated watches and they should also be able to source the parts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
apparently its £270 for the full service on a speedy pro, here in the UK, they say they send it off to omega and will take a few weeks.

im not looking forward to paying that in a few years time, thats a deposit on another watch for gods sake( or muhammed if your so inclined )

although i am also told that they will replace the hesalite crystal when they do the service.

what is the full service for a speedy pro, what do these 'omega' guys get up to?

i bet they hang around on forums, drinking beer, laughing hysterically, knowing that we pay £270 UK for it..

any out there?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently there is a 20 point checklist. What happened to a simple repair job?!

The stages in the repair work

1 Open the case, remove the dial and the movement

2 Disassemble the case (crystal, pushers, crown, tube, bezel etc.)

3 Restore the case and the bracelet to their original state, repair if necessary

4 Wash the case and bracelet

5 Re-assemble the case using new parts (crystal, pushers, crown, tube, gaskets etc.)

6 Remove the dial from the movement and the hands

7 Disassemble the movement into its individual components

8 Check whether the watch parts function correctly, check for rust or wear

9 Replace any faulty watch parts

10 Wash the disassembled movement in a cleaning machine with specific baths

11 Check the cleanliness

12 Assemble and lubricate the movement in accordance with the instructions (Technical Guide)

13 Adjust the movement in accordance with Omega's quality criteria

14 Fit the dial and the hands

15 Final adjustment of the movement in accordance with working directives

16 Close the case and check the water-resistance

17 Set the correct time on the watch, check the cleanliness and the functioning of the assembled watch

18 Check the precision of the rate after 24 hours. If the rate is not satisfactory, the watch is returned to the watchmaker for the necessary corrections.

19 In order to check the power reserve, allow the watch to run until it stops.

20 Fit the bracelet and carry out a final check before returning the watch to the consumer.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
My guess is it is a question of cost/effectiveness.
By following these same steps for every watch you don't need your technician to try and figure out what the problem might be and you probably cover 99% of all problems. The technicians at this level probably have a lower level of training and thus cost less. Each person in the line does his part and in the 1% of cases with a problem - this will be caught at the final QC step. These 1% of watches probably will go to a second level of care - where they try to diagnose a problem. These technicians are probably a higher level and cost more.

This is akin to the assembly line philosophy of high-throughput with remediation of flaws at the end - off line.

Apparently there is a 20 point checklist. What happened to a simple repair job?!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pay all this money for a luxury watch and I can't even get a simple repair without getting the whole package deal. You think they'd give a sliver of personalized service.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Pay all this money for a luxury watch and I can't even get a simple repair without getting the whole package deal. You think they'd give a sliver of personalized service.
In all fairness, you've only considered two options: Omega or the one independent watchmaker you visited. Try another independent. They're out there.

Good luck.

eric

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am happy to say that I found an independent watch repair shop (Novina Fine Jewelry in Lafayette, CA). The watch smith is... how should I say, unique, if anyone has been there. He is top notch--the problem the other watchmaker said I would have to take to Omega was fixed in a week (didn't take that long, he just had many watches ahead of me). Turns out, it was a lubrication problem, though it is less than 4 years old. I don't use the chrono for that many hours, so maybe the lubrication was spotty when the hour totalizer was at the "11"? Who knows. Anyway, it was only $80 to fix, which is a bargain considering the fact that I almost sent it to Omega for a $500 fix.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts