WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In January 2019, I sent my watch for service, which took three months for the service team to complete. It was in because the Omega service team improperly serviced it during summer 2018, resulting in water inside, due not to my negligence, but to the service personnel at Omega not sealing the watch. I just received the watch and there is condensation under the crystal again, after washing hands. I am furious. I am in summer fieldwork season (I am a scientist working in the marine Arctic), with a watch that I cannot read.

Is it common for Omega service to be incompetent? What recourse can I have?Can I ask them to replace the whole watch? Everything inside must now be compromised from moisture.

Attachments

·
G-Shock Mod
14,271 Posts
Dang, that's a disappointment. I hope Omega would make it right for you. May I ask which Omega Service Center was handling your watch?

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I understand that you haven’t exactly gone swimming with this thing but they are not known for water resistance.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I hope that they do, too. It was "serviced" in New Jersey.

Has anyone else had Omega fail more than once?
'my' omega centre is now around.. 17 failures in, not one success,
they never stopped failing, I simply took the watches from their hands,
not all mine but hand delivered by me.
I'm in Europe and have no idea about the New Jersey service centre, but my advice from that history is to take it somewhere else if at all possible to repair by now.

omega has good service centres, and people who'll do right by you, but, from my experience, both personal and 3rd person,
those who aren't will just keep destroying your watch till you give up

·
Registered
591 Posts
This sucks, sorry to hear OP. I actually passed on this model a couple of times because multiple Omega Boutiques 1) could not confirm basic specs about the watch in store 2) had ZERO information available about serving procedures/cost of ownership. Their own "technicians" were dumbfounded when I picked it up and was actually able to scroll through functions.

I understand that it is a complicated and very mission specific tool, but this is why I liked it so much. What a shame that Omega cannot stand behind what they've created, to at least keep it functioning properly for the terrestrial user.

Guess its a good thing there is no *liquid* water on Mars.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
As someone who successfully replaced the battery in my own G3 (and being the Director of QA for a good sized company), I find their lack of QC pretty alarming.

I've been educated on the additional testing they perform as part of a battery replacement service, and agree that it both protects them (in the event some unknown goes wrong after they return it to you - thus blaming them) and it instills additional confidence in the timepiece once returned. However, there is no acceptable explanation for them to return it to you not "verified pressure tight" to the extent they advertise (100' if I recall).

Unfortunately you don't have many options other than to return it to them. I would attempt to contact them by phone before sending it in and make your case for an expedited, competent servicing. Based on where you are and what you do and their previous failures; maybe they'll give you front of line privileges.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all. I sent it back as soon as I returned from fieldwork and had the watch back within ten days. Omega confirmed that they did not replace the "tube" something or other. The watch is fine now, and appears to have received all new buttons, movement, gaskets, battery....etc. It was even polished.

I am satisfied now, but still stunned that they failed to do it right the first time over one year ago.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My Speedmaster has just gone back for the second time due to the New Jersey service center incompetence. The first time they didn’t replace hands as promised, misaligned bezel, scratched a bracelet link, and over polished half the bracelet. The second time they nicked a movement piece and still hadn’t addressed the over polished bracelet. If this is how Omega operates for a luxury brand, it’ll be my last Omega.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My Speedmaster has just gone back for the second time due to the New Jersey service center incompetence. The first time they didn’t replace hands as promised, misaligned bezel, scratched a bracelet link, and over polished half the bracelet. The second time they nicked a movement piece and still hadn’t addressed the over polished bracelet. If this is how Omega operates for a luxury brand, it’ll be my last Omega.
I had a similar problem last year with my Speedmaster too. I received it back after that lovely 8 week wait only to find out that whenever I set the time, the hands didn't start moving until about 5 minutes after I set it. Then when I tried the chrono the hands stopped moving all together. Had to send it back out and it took about 3 weeks for them to get it right. It's really frustrating, especially when you spend $800 to service the watch, you'd expect and hope that it would be done right the first time. I'm sure there are people out there that have no problem but it seems like Omega has some serious QC issues when it comes to repairs.

I've got an X-33 gen 2 that needs to be serviced and I've been prolonging it because I'm worried they're gonna mess it up again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts