WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dears,

I need your professional opinion regarding which would be a better choice between two luxury watches that are priced similarly at around $10,000:

1- Jaeger Lecoultre Deep Sea Chronograph (42mm)
2- Omega Speedmaster Co Axial Master Chronometer (44.25 mm with Blue Dial & Blue leather Strap)

I am in love with both watches and cannot make up my mind. With the price offered I want to ensure I am making a wise decision by seeking the advice of more experienced watch collectors in this forum.

I have attached a picture of each watch for your reference.

Looking forward to your advices.

Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
The Speedmaster is more sporty and has a very beautiful depiction of the moon, i have never worn it but 44.25mm is on the larger end, you better try one on before you decide.

The JLC is dressier and has a more common size, again you better try it on.

Assuming they both fit equally id go with the Speedmaster by a large margin, based solely on looks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have worn both of them and you are right, the speedmaster is better looking but as I have heard that JLC is a higher quality brand and offers more value for money and since this is my real first luxury watch that reaches the price bracket of $ 10,000 I was not sure which one to go for.

The Speedmaster is more sporty and has a very beautiful depiction of the moon, i have never worn it but 44.25mm is on the larger end, you better try one on before you decide.

The JLC is dressier and has a more common size, again you better try it on.

Assuming they both fit equally id go with the Speedmaster by a large margin, based solely on looks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The Speedy is a great watch. All of them are certified antimagnetic and chronometers these days, with a display back and moon phase.
I'll retain it's value more, and flip much faster if you decide to get rid of it.

The JLC is a less common watch with a great heritage and great design, but it won't hold it's value as much as the Speedy if you decide to flip it in the short term.

Having contemplated and hesitated at buying watches for a long time, I'd advise you to just get the one whose design looks better to you, or else you'll just end up looking at the hundreds of possibilities.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I'd be going JLC between these two personally. I like the timeless look of the JLC and I like it as an under the radar WIS brand.
I'm also of the groupthink that a hand wound Speedy is the only Speedy... Get a used speedy or any LE for under $3k and call it a day.
cf52bc29-33d3-4b64-b6de-02f1ddb7c2af_1508282731981.jpg

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have worn both of them and you are right, the speedmaster is better looking but as I have heard that JLC is a higher quality brand and offers more value for money and since this is my real first luxury watch that reaches the price bracket of $ 10,000 I was not sure which one to go for.
In terms of quality, they should be more or less the same. Brand prestige is a whole other thing all together. They are both reputable brands, the prices of JLC offerings are generally higher than Omegas but the Omega brand is more well known. On WUS i believe most members would rate JLC as being the more luxurious brand but in the real world not many have heard of it.

The Speedmaster line is also extremely popular, the Deep Sea not so much.

From your wrist shots i think they both fit you well and both looks great.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The JLC by far has the haute horology upper hand. To me it's aesthetically better as well. I would have some difficulty putting out 10 K for the speedy. There are just far too many special editions and variations for my liking. Speedmasters are also becoming somewhat ubiquitous, where as the JLC is a bit more elusive to the masses. Don't get me wrong. I know the speedmaster has a great historical story but for me the JLC has overall better aesthetics and quality in spades. JMO

Also a great thread! I have been looking forward to the showdown.
Any Speedy vs the DSC Two great watches for a head to head.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
This is a case of "you can't go wrong ..."
The lugs on the JLC appear quite long, which makes the Omega to my eye appear to be a better fit, or at least a similar fit. Both are timeless classic designs, but I'd give the JLC the edge b/c it has a somewhat cleaner appearance. Both are busy dials, but the JLC is a bit less busy.
In terms of public relations w/your F&F, Omega is a widely hyped luxury brand, whereas JLC seems a bit more under the radar.
I'd get the JLC. There are lots of great Omegas for $10k and under, and not as many JLC's at that price point.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
The Omega has the more attractive dial, but if memory serves me correctly, it is an extremely thick watch, almost 20mm with the sapphire sandwich? (Versus the 15mm of the JLC, IIRC; I'd considered both watches once upon a time.)

The JLC also has a more useful bezel IMO, allowing you to time two things at once. However, it's not available with a bracelet, and despite it's name and a complication that's supposed to tell you at a glance underwater whether the chrono is running, it's not a dive watch, with only 100m of water-resistance and pushers that are not designed to protect against water ingress.

Which did I choose? Neither. I went with Blancpain:

Blancpain-fifty-fathoms-bathyscaphe-flyback-chronograph-6.jpg

43mm diameter, 15mm thick. 300m water resistance with pushers designed for underwater use. 5Hz high-beat movement. Column wheel & vertical clutch, with flyback complication, part of their new in-house F385 movement. Great lume. Rarely seen in the wild. Can be had for about the same price or less than the two you're considering.

Regards,
Alysandir

P.S. - If I had to choose between Omega and JLC, I'd choose the JLC. IMHO, it's more wearable, more functional for my purposes, and from a house with a better reputation. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Wait...does the left sub-dial on the Omega track the date and the chronograph seconds?
The left dial is date and small seconds. The right dial is the chronograph totalizer for hours and minutes. Chronograph seconds is the large seconds hand with the red tip.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I'd take the Deep Sea in a heartbeat.

In fact, I may be selling my Speedie to help fund a Deep Sea.

Reactions: MZhammer

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
This is is awesome. Can you plz tell me from where you got this pic?
It is something that a WUS member 2amwagon retrofitted from a J LC bracelet. I also hear that JLC will be presenting a bracelet for the DSC at SIHH this year. I am hoping it will be for this one and not the ceramic version which I believe is a different band size.

Unfortunately if they do decide to make a bracelet for this watch I'm sure the price will probably be north of $2000 just like the NSA bracelet. On the good side if they end up moving forward they will probably offer this watch with a bracelet in the near future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 43 Posts