WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading this forum and dreaming about Omega watches for the past year or so. My previous watches have all been in the Tissot price range but all Swiss brands.

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on either the Speedmaster Date or the Apollo Soyuz Limited Edition.

I visited the Omega Boutique in Beverly Hills and of course, they were willing to give me an extra year warranty to pull the trigger. Fortunately, I've been reading this forum and know that supporting the boutiques would be a horrible idea because it will lead to the death of the authorized dealer network.

I would like to hear opinions on both watches from those of you that have been buying Omega watches for awhile.

My concerns/questions:
1) I've read quite a few threads and even negative reviews on Amazon about the AR coating getting scratched on these watches. Although my other watches have scuffs and scratches on the bands, the crystal has never had a scratch. My Tissot's are all sub-$1k watches, so it pains me to think that a $5k-$10k watch might scratch.

2) I had some early Tissot watches where the automatic movement stopped working correctly after a few years. The sales person at the Omega Boutique told me even Omega's Automatic Movement will require servicing every 3-5yrs. This only applies to the "Date" model as the Apollo-Soyuz model needs to be manually wound.

3) I've read about discounts from the AD or FAD on this forum (still not 100% sure who they are) but I am sure I'm not buying from the Omega Boutique. Should I expect a significant discount on the Apollo-Soyuez model? If so, what would be a good deal, 20% off MSRP? (btw, I'd like to buy the watch from a recommended AD or the forums FAD and I completely understand this is my first post, but if someone wants to help me out, I would appreciate it).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I've been reading this forum and dreaming about Omega watches for the past year or so. My previous watches have all been in the Tissot price range but all Swiss brands.

I've finally decided to pull the trigger on either the Speedmaster Date or the Apollo Soyuz Limited Edition.

I visited the Omega Boutique in Beverly Hills and of course, they were willing to give me an extra year warranty to pull the trigger. Fortunately, I've been reading this forum and know that supporting the boutiques would be a horrible idea because it will lead to the death of the authorized dealer network.

I would like to hear opinions on both watches from those of you that have been buying Omega watches for awhile.

My concerns/questions:
1) I've read quite a few threads and even negative reviews on Amazon about the AR coating getting scratched on these watches. Although my other watches have scuffs and scratches on the bands, the crystal has never had a scratch. My Tissot's are all sub-$1k watches, so it pains me to think that a $5k-$10k watch might scratch.

2) I had some early Tissot watches where the automatic movement stopped working correctly after a few years. The sales person at the Omega Boutique told me even Omega's Automatic Movement will require servicing every 3-5yrs. This only applies to the "Date" model as the Apollo-Soyuz model needs to be manually wound.

3) I've read about discounts from the AD or FAD on this forum (still not 100% sure who they are) but I am sure I'm not buying from the Omega Boutique. Should I expect a significant discount on the Apollo-Soyuez model? If so, what would be a good deal, 20% off MSRP? (btw, I'd like to buy the watch from a recommended AD or the forums FAD and I completely understand this is my first post, but if someone wants to help me out, I would appreciate it).

Thanks in advance.
For me, the Apollo-Suyuz is by a huge distance the better watch. For a start, it's a true Speedy Pro with the Lemania movement. Secondly, the meteorite makes it a truly special edition. Thirdly, it's still a true Speedy Pro'.

1) Not sure the A-S has AR coating. If it has, it's not a big deal. Yes, it can be scratched but it can also be polished off.

2) You'll get no discount from a Boutique.

3) All mechanical watches need to be serviced every 5 years or so. It doesn't matter if they are wind-ups or shakers.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
first congrats on deciding to take the first of many steps to WIS-itis.... an expensive, and time consuming, though ultimately enjoyable disease.

between those two choices, i'd definitely go with the Apollo Soyuz Limited Edition, it is the same watch as the speedy pro, just dressed up a bit. i have never been much of a fan of the speedy date. only my opinion.

the speedy date is still sold new, so you could buy one from a dealer NIB, the Apollo Soyuz Limited Edition is not sold any more. unless you source a nos, you will have to buy a used one.

the FAD is a highly recommended vendor, that is no longer an AD for omega, but still has connections. many on here swear by him and would buy new from no one else. search for FAD and read all about it.

best of luck and enjoy the hunt.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys.

Gary, I meant discount from the FAD. I realize the boutique won't give any discount and if I'm paying MSRP, it will never be to the boutique. Thanks for the info!

Joe, the A-S is available brand new today from a variety of sources. The boutique has it and a lot of dealers on the net that are not authorized Omega dealers have it for about $7k new (of course no factory warranty). I think you're thinking about the other Apollo Limited edition watch. Is the FAD the place in DC, guy's name is Jim? I heard there is a West Coast FAD as well. In any event, I'd like to buy it from a non-boutique to support the dealers. I can only imagine how impersonal the sales and service process will be if I have to deal with the boutique. I'd rather deal with a privately owned store.

I'm pretty set on the A-S. I'm going to continue doing research and keep the boutique store working for me and answering my questions :)

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
boutiques will still give discounts if asked, but will be about 10%. A-S speedy movement will be the best option one of the best chronographs. the ar coating can be polished out with a bit of work.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The A-S is a much better watch in my opinion. It's got a Lemania movement, and is ( as Gary said ) a true Speedy Pro.

cheers.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Buy one of each.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys.

Joe, the A-S is available brand new today from a variety of sources. The boutique has it and a lot of dealers on the net that are not authorized Omega dealers have it for about $7k new (of course no factory warranty). I think you're thinking about the other Apollo Limited edition watch.
thanks for the correction... i mixed up the two, and it still is my fav of the two.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
boutiques will still give discounts if asked, but will be about 10%. A-S speedy movement will be the best option one of the best chronographs. the ar coating can be polished out with a bit of work.
Joe,

This is the first I've ever heard of a Boutique giving a discount. Could you give some specifics?

Cheers

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh good another excuse to post a pic! I was debating between the Speedmaster Moon Phase (3576.50.00) and this for a while, ultimately the meteorite won me over. In person it looks great, very understated for what it is.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Joe,

This is the first I've ever heard of a Boutique giving a discount. Could you give some specifics?

Cheers
I am sure I read it on here someone walking in boutique and wouldn't give him a discount so he said he would go somewhere else so they did. If goldsmiths and earnest jones etc who are AD can give you a discount of 10-15% surely it too makes sense for the boutiques to do the same. Just guess work but this figure is probably what omega have told them the discount figure. If I am wrong in saying I have read it on here then sorry was wrong and if so they are still Ads around, so I would go there and obtain the discount and the omega warranty

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Apollo all the way. And I would purchase from the eastcoast FD. Great service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts