WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Needing help.
Purchased an Omega Speedmaster day - date used on ebay from an individual. I could swear this watch is authentic. No real tell tail signs that it is a fake at all (at least, not to me). However, a check of the watch's serial number by Omega came back "the serial number does not reference to the US database".

Please take a look and tell me if you can point out any other signs that this watch is a fake (or better, confirm its real).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Adrian G.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Needing help.
Purchased an Omega Speedmaster day - date used on ebay from an individual. I could swear this watch is authentic. No real tell tail signs that it is a fake at all (at least, not to me). However, a check of the watch's serial number by Omega came back "the serial number does not reference to the US database".

Please take a look and tell me if you can point out any other signs that this watch is a fake.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Adrian G.

Also - This watch looks much better in person. The photos don't do it justice. It looks and feels real. I have seen this model for sale in other places, and there has been one consistent difference. The crown is shorter with a hexagon shape where this one is identical to a style I have seen on newer speedies. I figured the crown could have been changed somewhere down the line. Other than that, there is no visible difference whatsoever between this watch and the other ones I have seen for sale in forums such as this one.

The story that was given to me from the seller stated she inherited the watch from her father when he passed away over a year ago, and that her father had purchased it "a few years before that". She also stated that her husband had been wearing it, and he had purchased a new bracelet from an Omega dealer 6 months ago. The bracelet was purchased to replace a leather band that her father had on it.

This seller has 350+ sales with nothing but positive feedback not selling watches. Seems like a very nice person in Kansas. I think if it is fake, the seller MAY possibly be naive about it not being authentic as well.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Could it have possibly been distributed for sale outside the US? I would see if they could check other databases, not just the US.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could it have possibly been distributed for sale outside the US? I would see if they could check other databases, not just the US.
I was thinking that was a possibility. I tried calling the gal with Omega who called me. Its her direct line, but she was out of the office today (she sent me the response yesterday).

However, I was hoping that someone familar with this model would be able to spot something, anything, out of place. I figure it is either a real or replica 1150 or 1151 cal, circa 1993-1998 would be my guess. Anything helps. This is my first Omega purchase. Been wearing gucci for a long time, and have oogled over Omega for a LONG time. Was really hoping I made the right move. I plan to do everyting in my power to get my money back if this is not authentic.

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
If the watch functions correctly I think it's a genuine one, this triple-date movement is too complicated to make a fake, unless it's a quartz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If the watch functions correctly I think it's a genuine one, this triple-date movement is too complicated to make a fake, unless it's a quartz.
Thank you for your reply. That helps instill a level of hope. I am taking it to Ben Bridge today to have the movement inspected.

We'll see what happens....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I took the watch to Ben Bridge in a local mall, and their watchmaker was out of town. However, I then went right next door to FastFix (cringe) and asked if they had the ability to authenticate an Omega. They told me they could, and I asked them to go ahead and open her up.

The watchmaker at fast fix opened it up and and said that it is real. Nothing whatsoever indicated to him that it was a fake, and said that based on the automatic's free movement and bearings, there was no doubt in his mind it is the real deal. They had several Omega and Rolex watches for sale.

I took a picture over the movement with the back off. It has a 1151 cal.

I am feeling MUCH better. Just wish I could get Omega to validate the serial#.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
:-! Congrats. Sometimes Omega can verify serial #s and sometimes they can't. I wouldn't be too worried. That watch is definitely authentic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i do not pretend to know about this watch, but some quick searching on the internet yielded the following:

Speedmaster - Day-Date
Gents' metal bracelet
Reference

International collection

Movement

* Type: Automatic (mechanical)
* Caliber number: 1151
* Created in 1994
25 jewels
Small seconds at 9 o'clock
White rhodium-plated finish with Geneva waves, circular-graining and gold-plated engraving.

Functions
Tachymeter, 24 hours, Day-date, Chronograph
Case

Stainless steel
Case back

* Press-in
* Full metal

Dial

Blue, with rhodium-plated applied hour markers (luminous) and rhodium-plated luminous hands.
Crystal

Scratch-resistant sapphire (anti-reflective on bot
Bracelet

Stainless steel (attached)
Water resistance

50 meters
hope that helps you.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Congrats!!!!!! Your instincts were correct and it looks like you did some research beforehand and it looks like it paid off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey mate,

I own the exact same watch. I bought mine in Sydney, Australia in late 1999. The only difference that i can see between my watch and yours is that my crown is octagon in shape (though in one of your pics yours look round and in the other octagon) and looking at the crown end on, there is a raised octagon and the omega symbol is also raised above that. otherwise the bracelet that i have is identical to yours.

so after owning this watch for 12 years, i have had it serviced twice and it is still almost as nice now as it was back then. good choice you made.

mb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts