WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I started a discussion about Rolex owners who converted to Omega and things escalated quickly and I found myself a proud owner of a Speedmaster.

I have to say, a Speedmaster was a watch I always liked but never thought I would own.
as a pilot, I have always had a soft part in my heart for Chronos.
I went trying on many many Omegas and while I couldn’t imagine spending a lot of money for a Seamaster because the bezel was just HORRIBLE coming from a submariner. The Planet ocean was very nice but oh wow, the thickness is just, wow. Too much.
The aqua terras were absolutely gorgeous and I can see myself owning one, but when you have a speedmaster in the table... oh wow! Honestly, I was surprised as to how good it looks in person. Absolutely gorgeous. Can’t say that getting 15% off didn’t help (you’d be lucky to buy a DateJusts from a rolex AD, let alone get 15% off).
Anyway, the rest is history, I went with the sapphire sandwich because I plan to take my speedy absolutely anywhere and don’t have the patience to polish the hesalite once in awhile. The movement is very very nice, but mine runs at approximately +10 per day. Is it normal?

While I can’t state enough how gorgeous the speedy is, I am still undecided if I prefer the subdials to be in the same color as the dial or in a different color (like panda dials for example).
What do you guys think and prefer?

Here are some pictures of the new baby:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
Congrats on the new piece! It looks beautiful on your wrist. I like the original dial, so unless for the sake of having a LE, sub-dials being the same color is perfect for me. The accuracy may settle down, though I'm personally fine with +10 spd. And I'm also thinking about adding the sapphire sandwich to the collection in the next year or so, but will probably try for the 3861/3863.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very nice and it looks good on your wrist.

Interestingly, a few of your comments touch on some elements of my journey towards a current focus on the Moonwatch. I should read your other Rolex/Omega thread.

I was close to taking a GMT BLNR home with me from Honolulu at time before it became unavailable/unattainable (I was offered a discount at the Waikiki AD if you can believe that). CAD was closer to USD in those times and I was hung up on the duty payment (6%) of all things. I also was getting hungry and was distracted by thoughts of lunch and the beach.

I then did some personal preference soul searching and concluded I was not in any rush for a Rolex for a variety of reasons, including being turned off by the climbing pricing and availability issues.

Longer story short, the Planet Ocean tempted me also but it felt bulky and I think they may change that in the future. I was also unsure of which diver I really liked best and am still exploring that.

Then I fell in love with the timeless, subtle elegance of the Speedy Pro.... Once you try it on, it is difficult not to love and it becomes a matter of "when", rather than "if".

I like some of the contrasting dial/subdial models I have seen, but there is something very clean and handsome about black dial/subdial with contrasting markers and hands only.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Welcome aboard! Love the Speedmaster in most of its iterations. There is something about its aesthetic that is both retro and timeless at the same time. Enjoy!

·
Registered
111 Posts
I lusted after the ST1 (reverse panda) for quite some time but, when I tried it on, I surprised myself and found that I prefer the regular speedy. Perhaps important to note that I do not own any speedy yet - trying to wait patiently to see what Omega does with the supposedly pending update...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Very nice and it looks good on your wrist.

Interestingly, a few of your comments touch on some elements of my journey towards a current focus on the Moonwatch. I should read your other Rolex/Omega thread.

I was close to taking a GMT BLNR home with me from Honolulu at time before it became unavailable/unattainable (I was offered a discount at the Waikiki AD if you can believe that). CAD was closer to USD in those times and I was hung up on the duty payment (6%) of all things. I also was getting hungry and was distracted by thoughts of lunch and the beach.

I then did some personal preference soul searching and concluded I was not in any rush for a Rolex for a variety of reasons, including being turned off by the climbing pricing and availability issues.

Longer story short, the Planet Ocean tempted me also but it felt bulky and I think they may change that in the future. I was also unsure of which diver I really liked best and am still exploring that.

Then I fell in love with the timeless, subtle elegance of the Speedy Pro.... Once you try it on, it is difficult not to love and it becomes a matter of "when", rather than "if".

I like some of the contrasting dial/sundial models I have seen, but there is something very clean and handsome about black dial/subdial with contrasting markers and hands only.

Cheers.
I would love to help you if you need any questions or anything... I have had 114270,16610,16570 and some Tudors... this is my first Omega:)

cheers!

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Congratulations on your new Speedy! It's a strap monster as well as looks great on steel!

Wear it in good health.

Ben

·
Registered
102 Posts
Guys,
I started a discussion about Rolex owners who converted to Omega and things escalated quickly and I found myself a proud owner of a Speedmaster.

I have to say, a Speedmaster was a watch I always liked but never thought I would own.
as a pilot, I have always had a soft part in my heart for Chronos.
I went trying on many many Omegas and while I couldn’t imagine spending a lot of money for a Seamaster because the bezel was just HORRIBLE coming from a submariner. The Planet ocean was very nice but oh wow, the thickness is just, wow. Too much.
The aqua terras were absolutely gorgeous and I can see myself owning one, but when you have a speedmaster in the table... oh wow! Honestly, I was surprised as to how good it looks in person. Absolutely gorgeous. Can’t say that getting 15% off didn’t help (you’d be lucky to buy a DateJusts from a rolex AD, let alone get 15% off).
Anyway, the rest is history, I went with the sapphire sandwich because I plan to take my speedy absolutely anywhere and don’t have the patience to polish the hesalite once in awhile. The movement is very very nice, but mine runs at approximately +10 per day. Is it normal?

While I can’t state enough how gorgeous the speedy is, I am still undecided if I prefer the subdials to be in the same color as the dial or in a different color (like panda dials for example).
What do you guys think and prefer?

Here are some pictures of the new baby:
It's classic. I resisted buying a Speedmaster for a long time. It was the cliche "first nice watch." I've had mine for years now, it's on my wrist right now, and I instantly saw why it was the go-to advice. I have the FOIS version, but the all-black, manually wound Speedy does not miss. To answer your question, that's where this design is at its best, to me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I love the Speedy. Also, plus 10 seconds is on the fast side, but I believe is within tolerance. I suspect that the movement will settle and become more accurate once you wear it for several weeks. For comparison, when I had the Speedy Pro (hesalite), it was around +4.5 per day, and my current FOIS runs at +6.5 per day.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
Congrats on the watch

I am a purist, I think the only Speedy Pro that looks good is the classic version (that you have) I don't like panda watches. I do like the Speedy Tuesday model because I love the lumed subdials (looks like the gauges on a 1960's Dodge at night)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts