WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Champs,

I noted the following Ebay post matches a local Kijiji add in my area: Vintage Omega Speed Master Professional Mark II Chrono 1960'S | eBay

I would like to know what I should look out for when purchasing a Mark II? I've noted different bands used on Mark II's. This particular example looks like it has been buffed which from what I understand is a negative due to micro abrasions. Please let me know what type of case-back wear is normal for this watch (seems significant here). It also looks like the loom is missing on the minute and hour hands. I'm strongly considering purchasing the watch given that I like the retro proportions of the Mark II case vs the Mark I and can strike a local pickup deal. This would be my first legitimate watch purchase. My daily is currently 39 mm Archimede Pilot watch. 2000$ USD or 2600 Canadian. Any advise is seriously appreciated.

Cheerio,

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've seen much nicer looking copies on eBay for less. The case has been polished to death, there should be 3 distinct planes to it with a nice angled band between the top and side. This one has had it almost entirely smoothed down into a single surface. Not a fan of the band.

See this auctions photos for comparison on the case...

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/182004383166

If you want a mk II I say keep looking, it's a great watch, I love mine!

--

Bb

·
Registered
174 Posts
Oh yeah those hands have no lume, just like mine, and that back is slightly less worn than mine. Seems about normal to me...

B

--

Bb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with BrittB. The case was so badly (re)brushed it almost lost its shape. Unacceptable.
. Yeah it's unfortunate. I was going to spring for it because of the local trade but was weary of the significant wear to the case. For the price looks like i'll pass based on unanimous consent. It's so miss-sharpen I was wondering if this was an offshoot case shape ... I've also never seen a bracelet like that. Looks period correct but aftermarket or was this an option back in the day? Metallic style racing strap?

·
Sponsor
12,380 Posts
As the others have said, you definitely should look for the sharp edges. Here's mine after Omega performed a full service including refinishing the case to the original look.

Brushed Sunburst face, brushed sides running lengthwise, and the edge between the face and sides polished.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I have one coming in dirt cheap, and hopefully after service it looks like this!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hello, can someone please post pictures of the original 70s steel bracelet and clasp?
Because I've seen more than one.
Thank you.
I've 3 with 3 different original bracelets: Holzer (USA), 1162/173 and 1159/154

·
Registered
749 Posts
Here is mine with an original 1970 ad.

Reactions: vricardo
1 - 20 of 24 Posts