WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

My Speedy 3570.50.00 Has been worn every day for six years. Never had any problems with it. Deciding it was time for service I took it to my local watchmaker (Omega/Patek/IWC dealer).
After getting it back i noticed two problems:

- When starting the chronograph and letting the big second hand do a full turn, it would "halt" when passing 60 seconds for just a brief moment before continuing its run. At the same time, the small minute hand did not move from 30/0 to 1 min, as it should. This would happen two out of three times I tried the chronograph.

- When stopping and resetting the chronograph, the big second hand flies back beyond 60 and stops at its 59 second position.

I commented this and the watchmaker took the watch back for a second look. After fixing this I was supposed to pick it up today, but when I tried it the first problem was apparently solved, but the big second hand now flies back to its 59s position four out of five times. I told him i was not happy with the result and that I wanted this repaired. He talked about ordering some parts from a central Omega center and would contact me when he had what was necessary. I have the watch now, and I'm supposed to let him have a last try when he gets the part from Omega.

I am getting anxious that he might not be "up to the task", as this is the third attempt to fix something that initially worked without problems. His walls are covered in annual certificates from Omega, so I expect he is approved to service Omega watches.

What is the reason for the erroneous position of the chronograph second hand, as seen in the photo? Is it a big fix? should I let him have another go at it?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I replied in the watchmaking forum, but here it is again....

The most likely cause is that the hand was not set in place correctly. If it is resetting to the same spot, it should just be a matter of removing the hand and installing it in the correct location. If the hand is resetting to different positions, it could be that the tube of the hand is no longer tight on the post, so it has to be tightended or replaced.

There could also be dirt on the cam on the chronograph runner, but if the movement was just serviced that would be unusual. Usually these are just hand setting problems.

Did your watchmaker mention what parts he was ordering?

Cheers, Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts