Votes: 9 90.0%
  • FAKE

Votes: 1 10.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of my work colleagues owns an OMEGA Speedmaster Professional. He pretty much has no idea about watches and he is willing to sell it to me. However he has no box or other paper to guarantee the authenticity of this watch. I made some research on the internet but I couldn't get to a certain conclusion. If you guys could help me with some feedback regarding the authenticity of this watch I would be grateful. Thank you!

Also I have to mention that the watch seems to have a problem with the lower right button that should reset the indicators when pushed but it now doesn't have any effect when I try to use it. Looking at the buttons closely I can notice that the lower right button is a tiny bit pulled out more than the upper one. My guess is that the guy who owns it forced the button by pulling it instead of just pushing it.
The watch has some heavy wear signs but I hope I can make it shine again with some reconditioning.

Pictures:

As it can be seen in the pictures the watch has engraved on the backside "FLIGHT-QUALIFIED BY NASA FOR ALL MANNED SPACE MISSIONS" AND "THE FIRST WATCH WORN ON THE MOON". Also on the backside there are two codes engraved: a three digit one "849" and a six digit one "112269".

If any other details are needed please let me know. Thanks for any helpful comments!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks real based on the subdial spacing. Make sure the 9 o'clock subdial is the one moving indicating the second and not the other two subdials. It will require a full service, especially if it is in rough condition and the chrono reset button seems to be jammed. I would factor in an additional $800 into the cost for servicing just in case the watch is cactus inside.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks real based on the subdial spacing. Make sure the 9 o'clock subdial is the one moving indicating the second and not the other two subdials. It will require a full service, especially if it is in rough condition and the chrono reset button seems to be jammed. I would factor in an additional $800 into the cost for servicing just in case the watch is cactus inside.
Hi! Thanks for your opinion. Indeed the 9 o'clock subdial is the one that moves indicating the seconds. I noticed that the 3 o'clock subdial changes every minute and the 6 o'clock subdial doesn't change at all. I wonder if I take the watch to a regular local watch service would they be able to fix it properly or I should only take the watch to an OMEGA authorized service?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Hi! Thanks for your opinion. Indeed the 9 o'clock subdial is the one that moves indicating the seconds. I noticed that the 3 o'clock subdial changes every minute and the 6 o'clock subdial doesn't change at all. I wonder if I take the watch to a regular local watch service would they be able to fix it properly or I should only take the watch to an OMEGA authorized service?
I believe the 6 o'clock subdial registers hours for the chronograph, so you'd have to run the chrono a while to see it move.

That watch looks like it's had a tough life!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Is the large seconds hand also moving when the 3 o'clock subdial moves? If the large seconds hand does not move, but the 3 o'clock subdial moves, then the chronograph may require a full repair! The service cost could get very costly with this watch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The big seconds indicator and the 3o'clock dial both move correctly.. However I still don't know if the watch is authentic or not. I wrote an e-mail to omega website and they say the only way to certify the authenticity 100% is to take the watch to an official store/service. However they wrote that usually the watch has an 8 digit code engraved on the back while mine has only a 6 digit code.

Any idea about the watch authenticity?!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The serial # would be a concern to me. Based on a.) the rough condition of the watch, and b.) the questionable authenticity of it, I'd walk away from it. What is the seller asking for it? You can get a nice used Speedmaster for about $2,000 or so. I think the $800 estimate for repairs quoted earlier in this thread is probably a good one. So you're looking at that, plus the cost of purchasing it, before you really have a proper watch and not a basket case. Is it worth it to you?

·
Registered
846 Posts
It looks like the first two digits of the serial are obscured or lost through deliberate or accidental polishing. I don't think it's accidental as the rest of the watch is unpolished. Are you sure the numbers are not hidden by the end pieces?

The only way to be sure it's genuine is to post a picture of the movement.

All this watches problems should be fixed with a proper service. I wouldn't waste money on a local watchmaker, this thing needs serious work, by Bienne, Archer, STS or an equivalent.

So that puts the value at around $1000-1200.

assuming its real, which as I said needs a movement shot to confirm

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I am now thinking about the posibility that I could buy the watch and sell it AS IT IS on eBay. Do you think that I could make some profit?
You would take a risk in doing so (especially as eBay charge an arm and a leg for sellers fees). Is it really worth the bother?

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
I notice you are in Kent.

According to their siteUK eBay watch sellers are charged a maximum of £50.

Which is great news, but I haven't actually sold a watch under this new system to confirm.
I thought the maximum was £75 but I guess it could have changed recently. But even so, £50 on a £500 sale represents quite a hit, and then you lose another 2.5% in Paypal fees. Given eBay own PayPal, they effectively fleece you twice :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts