WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang!

Just a quick thought for your consideration:

is there really a big difference in desirability over the Speedy 1861 (closed) vs 1863 (display) back? i know the movement is pretty much identical but the presentation is the real standout.
what do you guys think? you think the open caseback is worth the premium, and if so, would YOU be willing to pay extra for it (or is the closed back just fine)?

- Carlos

·
Premium Member
7,463 Posts
The only difference is the Rhodium plating with striped finish and metal delrin brake vs plastic on the 1861.

I have an early 2000's 3572.50 ("hesalite sandwich") with the 1863 and I think it's worth the modest premium over the 1861 version, but not for the exhibition caseback or finishing.... because the watch is significantly thinner than the solid caseback version. Of course, none of this applies to the newer versions since they're all equally THICC AF.

Reactions: meking

·
Registered
985 Posts
I personally wouldn't pay the premium, I like the engraving on the 1861, but it is all down to personal choice.

Reactions: meking

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,512 Posts
I feel like the right answer is both. I have both. Well...I have a 863 which is an older version of the 1863. It’s beautiful.

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey Gang!

Just a quick thought for your consideration:

is there really a big difference in desirability over the Speedy 1861 (closed) vs 1863 (display) back? i know the movement is pretty much identical but the presentation is the real standout.
what do you guys think? you think the open caseback is worth the premium, and if so, would YOU be willing to pay extra for it (or is the closed back just fine)?

- Carlos
Omega put more effort financially in the 1863 and sapphire, but its not worth the price difference obviously. Just buy what you like, sapphire vs hessalite, see through vs solid.

As for me, i just have to see that movement. Swss Manual wind chrono doesn't available cheaper than that. You can only get a manual wind chrono from chinese watches, or much higher price point from other swiss watches brand. The movement is beautiful and i got to see it from the see through caseback. The extra finishing (all metal parts, geneva striping), makes everything looks prettier and i love it.

Reactions: umarrajs

·
Registered
427 Posts
I went with the sapphire sandwich because I like to look at beautifully finished movements.

If movements don’t excite you, then stick with the closed case back with hesalite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,647 Posts
One other difference is the lack of the iron cover that provides some protection from magnetic fields. Not sure how big of a deal that is overall, but it's a difference.

The movement is cool to look at, that's for sure.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I've got one or two display back watches and find that I just never look at them as the watch is on my wrist. I think it's cool that one has the option on the Moon watch to have a choice of a display back or not. When I bought mine, there was no option so my choice was easy. However, if I bought one new today, I'd get the non-display back and Hesalite crystal, just like the one I own.

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,512 Posts
I noticed I posted earlier in this thread. I think the solid case back is a must have if you are a real Moonwatch fanatic but on the other hand how do you say no to this? . As my last post said: get both.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Personally I think hand-wound chronograph movements are some of the best looking movements for an open case-back. Some would argue about the movement being "worth displaying". But the only relevant criterium for me is whether I derive some enjoyment from it (I do) and whether it is interesting to see the movement and understand how it works (it is for me). I also like the design and finish of the movement. Which is not always just about the the production cost and handfinishing that goes into a movement.

That said, I do think the hesalite looks better than the sapphire on the sapphire sandwich. So there's a trade-off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts