41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'd go for the Omega. Timeless, well known history and a lot let common

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Come on man, your entire post was about how you feel about the watch which is fine because it's subjective by nature. However, isn't calling other posters opinions "delusional" or telling them they have their "panties in a bunch" or calling people "keyboard hero's" the exact demolishing and belittling that you're talking about?
Settle down, chaps. It's not worth taking the thread down the tubes over.

·
Registered
7,302 Posts
Regarding the movement in the Monaco, I have never seen any issues with it. Whereas, Chopard used the same Dubois-Depraz chrono movement in their first generation Mille Miglia Chronographs and they were nothing but trouble.
Get whichever watch you prefer, regardless of already having the same brand in your collection and what any of us think.
You're the dude who's gonna wear it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
To be honest I'm more partial to the newer Cal tag heuer chrono models.... specifically the one with the gray/silver sunburst dial with the rose gold numerals....FWIW...

in this case I'd choose the Speedy Pro every day (and have already). It's so versatile and can really function as a one and only watch with its different looks. My thoughts anyway...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Although I respect and kind of like the Monaco, I would go for the Speedy. I would be afraid in time I would grow tired of the square shaped Tag.

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
I have owned 3 Monacos and still own one, I have owned 4 Speedys and still own two though both the ones I still have are 1151 movements, I sold my Black Speedy Pro planning to get a brown one but just haven't gotten around to searching. To be honest I prefer my Monaco it is certainly arguable the Speedy Pro is more watch I am far more drawn to the Monaco and as far as comfort I must be very lucky since even on my 6.75" wrists I find them very comfortable and it is the watch most likely to be borrowed by my wife. The McQueen connection means far less to me than its connection with F1 and in particular "Seppi" (Jo Siffert). I have worn a Monaco while viewing 20 some odd F1 races and the connection with racing is far more direct than space travel, I have and do race, I have never and will never go to space. But I digress, buy the watch that speaks to you unless your prime motivation is the movement if so the Speedy Pro is IMHO a more praise worthy movement. It could be a pro or con depending on your POV but the Monaco is a much better deal on the secondary market.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
It could be a pro or con depending on your POV but the Monaco is a much better deal on the secondary market.
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
One of the problems with second hand Monaco watches is that module.
Unless you are sure of its history, a repair/replacement can cost over £1000.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
that was what a friend was quoted for a service when his started acting funny after maybe five years.
I cant remember the actual quote for the service but it was more than £1000; it could've been £1200 but again for clarity, that was the total service quote through TAGHeuer.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Interesting, my watchmaker quoted me a standard chronograph price for service. He said since the movements come apart it's a more straightforward service than an integrated movement

Anyway, different strokes for different folks! Personally, my Monaco is a keeper. It's as much a part of my collection as my Speedy Pro :-!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've been a Speedy Pro owner for over 2 years (3570.50) and a Monaco owner for a little less than a year (2113, now discontinued). I love both watches and they are the two most worn from my modest collection (the other one that I wear on a daily basis is my Longines moonphase, during work, where I'm dressed in a suit all day), but despite the funky square dial and the arresting blue/white combo of the Monaco, the simplicity and sheer versatility of the Speedmaster makes me go back to it every time. They are both great watches, with as everyone has stated, great history and heritage and I admire both brands, but subjectively speaking, the Speedmaster feels special every time I put it on after a few weeks of spending time in the box. Add to it the number of straps you can play around with (including mesh) and the Speedy Pro is a watch that truly cannot be beat. If I was ever forced to choose only one, it would be the Speedy. Thankfully, such a difficult choice is not mine to make :)

If you are looking at the new Monaco models, which come with sapphire crystal and see thru caseback, I cannot comment on them (the one I have has plastic, much like my Speedy) but many here on this forum seem to think that the newer version actually looks more worthy of the price tag because it doesn't look as "cheap" as the older model with plastic. Of course, I got mine pre-owned from a local dealer (in great condition I might add) and did not have to pay the ridiculous prices that Tag have set for it, but if you are hoping to pick one of these brand new (which means you would have to pick the newer Calibre 17 Moncao, not the Calibre 12 than I'm talking about) then on price alone Speedy would again be the sure winner in this case.

Finally, contrary to what others say, I feel the fit of the Monaco on my wrists is stellar. It isn't (IMHO) uncomfortable at all and looks retro funky, an attention grabber for sure. In fact, as OzO has said, it has the same dimensions, pretty much as the Speedy. Someone even posted comparison pics of the two when I was asking around the forum, stating that they felt the same when worn and this is certainly true in the case of my nearly 6 3/4 inch wrists. Also, as Perseus has said, if you plan on having a small collection (like I do), the Monaco really adds flavour. It is so distinctly different than anything that I enjoy wearing it for that reason alone.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make and do let us know about it!

Reactions: HRC-E.B.
41 - 60 of 64 Posts