WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just come across this forum, glad to see that there's so many people out there who know soooo much more than me about my speedy. (If I get this right, there should be a picture below!)

It's a Speedmaster 1956 Broad Arrow. I bought it about 18 months ago.

To cut a long story short, I had to get it fixed under the warranty due to water getting in. The dealer (Pedro Rodriguez, Gandia, Spain) had to send it to Madrid (Omega Spain HQ I think) who sent it to Switzerland apparently.

Omega had the watch for about 4 months! Now I have it home I can see that it has someone else's strap on it. It's the right sort of strap, but it's moderately more scratched, doesn't have some of "my" scratches and more importantly, the bit on the clasp which on mine was just engraved, on this one it's engraved and painted as below

Has anyone else had such a bad experience with Omega or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Hey Pletharoe, welcome to this forum.

This may sound like a stupid question, but as you are so sure you have another bracelet are you certain the watch is yours?:-S

Also did the dealer state it was away for 4 months?

Something not right there pal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Stevie,
I've just checked the dates, it was actually with omega for 3 months, sorry for getting that bit wrong. I don't speak Spanish, nor do I live anywhere near an Omega dealer (I'm living in Spain for a year) so I had to get someone else to take it in which took some time.

I've checked the serial number on the watch and it is correct. I know that the bracelet is the wrong one because:
- Engraving on mine wasn't painted, this one is.
- This one didn't quite fit me, I had to adjust the clasp.
- This one is more scratched than mine and doesn't have any of the scratches that I remember making (oh so painfully!)

I guess that they aren't going to be able to find my original bracelet, but they're also going to be reluctant to give me a new one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles, but not surprised.

I sent a vintage Omega which kept perfect time and belonged to my father to Bienne for restoration. They said they didn't have any more cases left so they could not do the restoration (fair enough), but they put the movement back into the case in pieces and sent it back to me. The watch not only doesn't work, it rattles like a baby's toy.

I've emailed twice with no reply. Great customer service. If I could, I'd send 007 over to destroy the place.

I really enjoy my modern Seamaster GMT, but I don't think I'll buy another Omega.

Hope your issue works out.

I've just come across this forum, glad to see that there's so many people out there who know soooo much more than me about my speedy. (If I get this right, there should be a picture below!)

It's a Speedmaster 1956 Broad Arrow. I bought it about 18 months ago.

To cut a long story short, I had to get it fixed under the warranty due to water getting in. The dealer (Pedro Rodriguez, Gandia, Spain) had to send it to Madrid (Omega Spain HQ I think) who sent it to Switzerland apparently.

Omega had the watch for about 4 months! Now I have it home I can see that it has someone else's strap on it. It's the right sort of strap, but it's moderately more scratched, doesn't have some of "my" scratches and more importantly, the bit on the clasp which on mine was just engraved, on this one it's engraved and painted as below

Has anyone else had such a bad experience with Omega or is it just me?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Hi again,
You must try to establish which one held the watch for this amount of time. There is something definately nefarious there and I would doubt if it was with Omega.ch/

Good luck|>

·
Registered
124 Posts
I hate reading things like this! I agree something sounds amiss.

I haven't sent any watches back to Omega in Switzerland for work, but I'll just add this experience. Three years ago my wife gave me a "Bond" SMP ref: 2531.80 that she bought at an Omega AD. The reference number card was mixed up at the dealers and by the time I realized it, the dealer had lost mine, or so they said.

I emailed Omega in Switzerland and they sent me the correct card and also the COSC chronometer certificate. I was pleased with their assistance. A nice lady named Maria M. handled my problem. The reference card was no big deal, but since the dealer had marked the warranty card with "GTS Bond Watch" instead of the reference number, I just wanted to cover my bases in case I needed warranty repair work. Thankfully, the dealer at least got the serial number right on the warranty card.

Three years later and I've worn the SMP every day and have had no problems.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Maybe the dealer removed the bracelet

Maybe the dealer removed the bracelet and just sent the head to Switzerland, and then when Omega.ch returned it the dealer put the wrong band back on. I would check with them first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got the watch back now. I'm reasonably happy with the speed at which it was dealt with (4 weeks from posting it off to it getting back to me, this included Christmas). They've put a new bracelet on. They wanted to know which jeweler had originally taken the watch from me, so maybe they also thought the jeweller had put the wrong bracelet on.

Anyway, I'm still not happy! o|

In the letter I sent to them with the watch, i pointed out that it was gaining about 12 seconds a day. Well, they haven't fixed that. :roll: I'm not normally one to grumble, but you spend this kind of money on a watch... a chronometer rated watch. And omega servicing just ruins it!

GRRRRRRRRR!

·
Registered
704 Posts
A regulation is a simple procedure, and given the dramas, if it is consistently gaining 12s/day, I'll find a local watchmaker who can quickly regulate the watch while you wait. & I'm sorry it's taken you so long to get to this stage.

·
Premium Member
13,596 Posts
Sorry to hear so but it is not the first time I hear these kind of horror stories. Omega after sales service seems to have decreased in quality, I also have heard horror stories about Bienne when it came to restorations and/or repair.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Sorry to hear so but it is not the first time I hear these kind of horror stories. Omega after sales service seems to have decreased in quality, I also have heard horror stories about Bienne when it came to restorations and/or repair.
As a first impression dealing with their Customer Service, I seem to get slow response (about 4-5 days to get a reply). At least I would expect an acknowledge from them, and I don't mind to wait.

Compared to Tissot's customer service, Tissot seems to reply faster just within the same day. :think:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've had two bad experiences with Omega. The first was with Switzerland, when I sent it from Singapore. The second was with New Jersey (USA). The first time, it just took a long time to get the watch back. The problem is was that the watch would just stop whenever the secondhand hit ~50 seconds. Not good, since the watch was just a month old (since purchase).

The second time was the worst: I sent it back because the hour indicator on the chronograph didn't seem to be showing the right fraction, and when I got my watch back, the inside of the casing had moisture and the paint on the tachmetre was mostly gone! I don't know what the heck happened, and their quality control was ridiculous. I sent it back over a month ago, with instructions to send it to Switzerland, and I'm still waiting to get it back...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.