WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Sorry for the long post. I've been lurking in this forum and the Omega one for probably the past year but mainly this one. I found it after reading about Dirk Pitt on Wikipedia and just followed the links. It got me into thinking about getting an automatic watch again.

I've recently got to a position where I can buy a good watch and I've narrowed it down to the Omega 2254.50 which Dr Pete recently reviewed and a Doxa 1000T (not sure whether I'm brave enough to get the Pro, otherwise the Sharky).

I decide on one, then start reconsidering again. Generally, I decide on the Omega, it’s definitely the safer option, but the Doxa just keeps on calling to me. I'd love to see a Doxa in the flesh but I haven't heard of one in New Zealand where I live. The Omega is cheaper (about $NZ600), I can try it on and it’s not so "out there" as the Doxa. But as I said, the Doxa keeps on calling me.

I've put a deposit on the Omega which I can get back and I really need to make a decision shortly as I can get the Omega duty free as I'm going overseas just after Christmas and the Doxa price goes up on 1 January.

I'm obviously asking in the wrong place as you guys all love your Doxa's but I'm wondering if you have any objective views on each watch, especially from those of you who have both. Also, what are your experiences on the accuracy of the Non COSC Doxa? If I could try on the Doxa, I'm sure I'd probably get it but as its a lot of cash, buying online without seeing it in the flesh is a bit nerve racking if I don’t end up liking it.

Thanks for your help!

Robin

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have both and luv it equally. You can't go wrong with either one. In my opinion the Seamaster is dressier and the SUB1000T is more a tool watch.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Omega is dressier. Doxa is definitely tougher. I own both. If it is to be a daily wearer I would go with Doxa. After 6 months years of wearing my 2254.50 daily, the bezel became loose. I got it fixed twice and it still gets loose after about a month of wearing. I do use the bezel frequently. The Doxa bezel just works better. They are both great watches but the Doxa is tougher. As far as COSC, all a matter of preference. The non-COSC's keep great time. The dials are different on the models. Maybe that could help narrow it down. Go Doxa. The other thing that I noticed after a year of wearing my Doxa is that when I switched to my Omega, it looked boring. I felt bored. Now my Omega just sits in my safe and my Doxa's get all my wrist time. If you go with Doxa and you don't like it, you could always get about what you paid if you sell. Doxa's have a very high resale value. Not really a risk.
Good luck and hope this helped.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I think that one of the most valid points you raised yourself. You haven't seen a Doxa in the flesh.
Omegas are nice but there are loads about not counting the fakes.
Doxas are tough, great wrist presence and have a certain individuality.
At the end of the day it's your choice and go with what you want to look at on your wrist.:-!
Alasdair

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I've owned both (four Doxas, three Omegas). I am impressed with the build quality, accuracy and and reliability of both brands. I've had some warranty-related repair requirments with both brands, and in both cases they've been resolved. The Doxa is more individual and striking on the wrist. Based on my experiences (I use both for work, above and in the water), both are equally durable.

Having said all of the above, one of the key things that I will say differentiates the two brands is customer service: quite frankly, everything that I've seen, heard and personally experienced with Omega proves that (at least here in Canada), Omega Customer Service sucks - slow, expensive, inattentive and uncommunicative. On the other hand, Doxa's customer service, since I bought my first SUB750T over two and a half years ago has been simlpy outstanding. It is attentive, personal, quick and comprehensive.

Best of luck with your decision. If you can do so, I'd get both. Both are aesthetically striking and mechanically sound timepieces.

Regards,

James

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Robin,

You probably are asking in the wrong place, but you asked anyway so my answer has to be Doxa. Until today I had never seen one and neither had my wife. The watch is really something special and far more individual than the Omega if that is what you want (not everyone does of course). My wife loved the orange and the overall design and said it is far nicer than my boring old Seadweller!

In the end, they are both superb watches. If you want to stand out from the crowd, go Doxa. In either case, I am sure you will not be disappointed.

Good luck with your decision.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
37,598 Posts
I'm obviously asking in the wrong place as you guys all love your Doxa's but I'm wondering if you have any objective views on each watch, especially from those of you who have both.
Welcome Robin,

To answer your question regarding objective views; with few exceptions the answer is no...but I'll try.

I've had a mid-size Bond auto (hated it) and have a full size 2230.50 Non-America's Cup on Bond bracelet (love it) as well as 750T and 600T T-Graph Doxas. My wife and I were married at the beach and chose the Non-AC for me and electric blue ladies Seamaster as our wedding watches because of their ability to serve equally as sporty dress watch and mild tool watch. Since then I've rediscovered Doxa and haven't gotten another Seamaster since. With the Doxa's there's no mistaking that they're pure tool watches. For me pure tool watches (read Doxa's) get 90% of my wrist time with Speedy's, the Non-AC, Tudor and Rollies sharing the other 10% when I need something dressier.

As far as accuracy goes, COSC certified movements will be consistantly more acurate than your average non-COSC watch. Of course there are exceptions as my mid-size COSC Bond auto and 600T T-Graph have demonstrated.

Of course YMMV. :-d

·
Registered
656 Posts
Well, you've certainly made your decision a hard one.

You've chosen perhaps the most classic of the Omega Seamasters as well as a very classic look in the Doxa 1000T. Like others have said, I don't think you will be unhappy with either watch. Here are some points to ponder:

1) When comparing the 2254.50 to the 1000T keep in mind that the Omega will wear a bit bigger than the 1000T because the dial is about 2mm wider. If you want a closer size comparison, you should consider the 750T vs the 2254.50.
2) The Omega will hug the wrist with a lower profile since it's a lot thinner than the 1000T so, for long sleeve wear, go Omega IMO.
3) The Omega wears more dressy and the 1000T wears more like a tool watch even though both are rugged and will take the water well. If you insist on a sporty look, go Doxa.
4) The 2254.50 has recently been discontinued and will most certainly attain classic status while school is still out on the 1000T since it's still in production.
5) Doxa has only recently re-entered the dive watch market and is right now entering the B&M retail market so, their long term success, while probably likely, is still an unknown. Omega, on the other hand, has decades of success in the bag with continued success very likely. So, if you want the highest likelihood of a future heirloom, go with Omega.

As I said, you have a tough choice. I have both the Omega and the Doxa and wear each for different reasons and occasions. After you've done your homework, go with your gut. Enjoy whatever you choose. :)

·
14,594 Posts
Re: Well, you've certainly made your decision a hard one.

It is just me, but I cannot STAND how Omega uses a screw-in crown for the HRV. I guess it HAS an HRV where the 1000T does not, but IHMO I would prefer not to have an HRV if it is designed that way. Kinda petty maybe, but all the cheap watches I have ever had were designed this way. (I am NOT implying that the Omega is a cheap watch)

Also, I have a devil of a time turning the bezel on the Omega. It is just not a tool watch. Looks pretty with a suit though I guess.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Re: Well, you've certainly made your decision a hard one.

Also, I have a devil of a time turning the bezel on the Omega. It is just not a tool watch. Looks pretty with a suit though I guess.
This is by far the biggest problem with the Seamaster. Either you can't turn the bezel at all or it turns loosely. My wife's midsize Seamaster will barely turn and mine just spins. And forget about it with wet fingers. The Doxa is a much better functional dive watch with a very unique look. No doubt the Seamaster is beautiful and refined but just not as durable or functional IMO. But isn't that why we all own so many watches? One for each occasion. ;-)

·
Registered
196 Posts
ok here is my 2 cents.i bought a doxa 750t pro.i loved it and have nothing bad to say about it at all.but i get borde with things so i traded it on the sales forum for a seamaster professional (with the option of returning the watches if not satisfied)but after having the seamaster i missed the doxa.the seamaster was a little smaller 42mm. vs 44mm of the doxa.and a little to dressy for my taste.the omega is a very nice watch.the fit and finish is unbelievable.truely a + rating.but it was not for me.i got back my doxa and have never regretted it.the old saying you never know what you have till its gone was true for me.but on a side note i am planing on geting a planet ocean xl to accompany my doxa.:-d

·
Registered
179 Posts
1. I agree that the Seamaster is more versatile (tux, business, working out) vs. the Doxa.

2. You may want to consider the resale value. I believe (best confirmed via searching on ebay and the various watch sales forums) that the Doxa will hold it's value better. If true, then the best idea is to buy the Doxa first, because if you change your mind, you can sell it and lose less than if you buy the Omega. I bought the Seamaster for about 30% off list price, and still lost another 30% when I sold it. In contrast, my 300T reissue is worth double what I paid, and I'm pretty sure my 750T Professional and Caribbean could be sold for close to what I paid.

3. I had Seamaster Bond for a while. Great watch, but I got into Doxa and never looked back:
a. too many other people also had the Seamaster
b. the Seamaster bezel was too slippery when my hands were wet from swimming laps in the pool, whereas the Doxa was no problem

Bottom line: you can't go wrong with either choice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated! As expected, they haven't made the decicision any easier though :think:

Still have a bit of thinking to do.

Thanks again.
Robin

·
Registered
294 Posts
If you're ever coming across the ditch to Sydney, drop me a PM; I'd be happy to show you some Doxas in the flesh / metal. Be warned, it only leads to attacks of multiple-purchase-syndrome, and before you know it, you have 3...or 5...or you become Jason and they just start appearing as if by magic!!
I have Doxas, I have a couple of old Omegas and they both serve their purpose. If I had to choose only 1, it'd be Doxa for me - lots of Omegas out there, but I rarely see other Doxas, and I think that's pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Well, I'd go for the Doxa. Both are great watches, but if you like both and are on the fence, you really want both. :-d Nothing wrong with that but fom a practical POV, the Doxa pice is going to go up, so get that first, and then find an Omega at a discount price when you've saved the $ for it.

Hope that helps!

Kev

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Now go ask in the Omega Forum! :-d

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you're ever coming across the ditch to Sydney, drop me a PM; I'd be happy to show you some Doxas in the flesh / metal. Be warned, it only leads to attacks of multiple-purchase-syndrome, and before you know it, you have 3...or 5...or you become Jason and they just start appearing as if by magic!!
I have Doxas, I have a couple of old Omegas and they both serve their purpose. If I had to choose only 1, it'd be Doxa for me - lots of Omegas out there, but I rarely see other Doxas, and I think that's pretty cool.
Unfortunately, we're flying into Brisbane on Boxing Day and not going that far south but thanks very much for the offer. If I ever come across to Sydney, I'll make sure I look you up. Not sure if the wife could handle me looking and more watches though!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
The reason I bought my first Doxa, and two more after that now, is I first saw one about 1.5 years ago. I had never seen anything like it and was "bitten" so to speak. Ever since that day, I worked and saved and bought my first Doxa, a 750 Pro. Shortly after a Sharky GMT followed and now there is a Sharky 5000T on it's way to make a "crowd."

So why do I tell you this? Before I found Doxa I was considering a Bond Omega. I thought it was all I would ever want. I had a buddy that had one and it was a real nice watch. Then I shifted slightly and desired just the regular Seamaster. Some more time went on, and after my eye had been "trained" I started seeing so many of them that I desired neither. Right about that time I saw my first Doxa. Over 1.5 years after, and some hard work, I now have two and a third on the way.

If it has to be one, I go Doxa. My $0.02. Best of luck with which ever you choose. Either will serve you very well. :-!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts