WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to ask the experts WUS how Breitling and Omega compare with regards to quality, desirability and reliability. I seem to remember reading an article that suggested Omega would be the better buy. Many thanks

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
Pretty much the same. Have to look at specific models rather than the brand though

I’d say navitimer is slightly better quality then speedy
Superocean same as SMP 300m
Transocean same as Aqua Terra

Reactions: ronsetoe

·
Registered
911 Posts
There are no differences in terms of quality and reliability.
As far as desirability is concerned, your question cannot be answered universally, because attractively is always in the eye of the beholder. I would not rate Omega as the "better buy", because it depends on which watch is being compared and what the potential buyer needs from the watch.

Reactions: JSnipes

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
Just pick the watch you fancy, can't go wrong with either brand.

·
Registered
574 Posts
To me, it is simply a question of style. I think both are world class timepieces. Both are exceptional quality. I prefer Omega, however. I had a Breitling for about a month, just wasn't for me. It was a beautiful watch and the workmanship was top notch. I also recently got a Planet Ocean, and that is not going anywhere.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. Get the one that suits you best, or get both!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Just my .02 cents

Having owned a couple models of both brands (the Superocean 42, and currently an Omega SMP most recently) I can say that the Omega is definitely a small step above. Breitling makes a great watch, no doubt, but the Omega movement is in a whole different league, and the dial and case finishing and bracelet is as well. Omega‘s case work really needs to be seen and held to be appreciated. As far as build quality and reliability, you can’t go wrong with either, they are both top notch.

I have zero issue with Breitlings “non in-house”reworked ETA chronometer movements, they actually finish them and assemble them in house, and in my experience run great. Winding them they just feel smoother and nicer than an out of the box stock ETA.

Plenty has been said about the Omega Master Chronometer Co-Axial movements, so I won’t go into detail there.

As far as “desirability”, or maybe brand recognition or prestige, I think they are about tied in the eyes of the general public. Omega is a higher tier watch builder to me, and having owned and handled both I can say that with confidence, but I think Breitling may even have a leg up if you want some recognition among non watch people.

You definitely get what you pay for when you spend more on the Omega, but Breitling is great, and I would recommend them to anybody.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
I have several of both. I disagree that quality is the same, but its hard to compare since the two companies have a different bottom range of price points. I would put Omega above Breitling, but here are some more specific points:

Granted all three of my Breitlings are B17 movements and I have not tried their in-house movements, but my Omegas are much more accurate. My three B17 movements are all hovering right at the COSC limit of -4spd.

My Omegas vary from less than +1 to +2 spd.

Fit and finish wise, I very much prefer the strap deployant used by Omega, although the deployant from Breitling doesnt necessarily require a custom strap (it should fit on any strap meant for tang + buckle). None of my Omegas are on bracelets, so I cant compare that between the two companies.

Omega has more impressive usage of ceramic on their watches.

I'm not a fan of how Breitling uses stamped indices on some of its dive watches, but that doesnt bug me too much I guess.

To be fair, the Breitlings I have are much cheaper than the Omegas I have.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I prefer Breitling overall, Omega just doesn't have anything that I personally lust over, I do like the PO but it's way to thick for daily use imo, the SMP is nice, finishing, nice mov't, etc. but the HEV and useless bezel killed it for me when I tried it in-store. Get either used and they're both a lot of watch for the $ imo

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Wrist

·
Registered
901 Posts
I can only speak to desirability, and my own personal sense of it at that. I have never seen a Breitling that wowed me. I’ve seen plenty that looked nice, but none that really piqued my interest. They just don’t do anything for me.

·
Registered
11,132 Posts
Have owned 5 Breitlings and 5 Omegas - currently have 1 Breitling as permanent keeper & 3 Omegas
Both brands have great pedigree, COSC reliability, decent service support
Quality is much a muchness - value retention slightly better with Omega
I think all depends what you fancy the look of
Discounts more readily available on Breitling
I think the new chronomat on rouleaux bracelet are totally awesome

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
This wouldn't be one where I would recommend picking a watch by brand. I would say find the watch(es) that really appeal to you from either brand, and then go for the one that you like the best. You shouldn't really go wrong whichever you end up with.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
I have both. I like both. And my Omegas (SMP and AT) and my Breitling (SuperOcean 42) all keep really good time. The cases on both are really well done. Of those three, the Omegas seem to be a little better with regards to the finishing on the dials and handsets (at least with my examples). That said, the Omegas also cost not insignificantly more. The Omegas have a totally different movement, too, so something to consider.

I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. I would have no problems recommending either. Go for what you like best.

I'm wearing my SO as I type.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ten years ago I would've said Omega, but I think it's a closer contest today. Breitling resumed manufacturing complications again after Kerns took over (e.g., their in-house perpetual calendar chronograph).

1 - 20 of 68 Posts