• Zenith Chronomaster Original

Votes: 69 46.6%
  • Other

Votes: 8 5.4%
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
12,307 Posts
Zenith. High beat movement, looks great, and frankly speaking, everybody and their mom has a Speedmaster. And I'm just sick and tired of all the "OMG THE MOOOOOOONNNN!!" marketing hype*. They've milked this cow for decades now. Second most boring watch on the planet, right after the Sub.

Sorry for the rant, but since you asked.. ;)

* making the bespoke moonwatch with a moonphase scale that's actually wrong and only decorative reveals Omega's true focus. See this post for reference:

·
Premium Member
Tudor, Omega and...
2,054 Posts
That particular Zenith, yes…

Reactions: wolfpack1995

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
El Primero. High-beat movement with storied history. Superior finish on case angles. 1/10th of a second chrono hand.
Brand that is more appreciated by those in the know. And not likely to run into same watch frequently.

Reactions: Longjean

·
Registered
472 Posts
Wow, you guys are crazy taking the Chronomaster over the Ed White Speedmaster.

The Speedmaster 321 has a more illustrious history, and is by far the more exclusive watch. The Ed White is hand assembled and tested by a single watchmaker in small numbers. The finishing and the bracelet on the watch are out of this world. The movement is a work of art.

There is a reason the Ed White sells for a premium 2nd hand, while the Chronomaster can be had for 40% off at grey market dealers.

·
Premium Member
12,212 Posts
For me, both are so so cool, equally stunning, and both have a very special movement. Given the price difference, never mind availability, I would probably go for the Zenith.

Reactions: JC316

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I voted neither.

I have my eye on a Speedmaster Date with a silverish dial, and I'm also looking into a Zenith Prime (420 movement, but thin because there's no rotor). I'd take the Prime over an El Primero all day long. It's thinner, smaller, and better looking.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Watch accessory

Wow, you guys are crazy taking the Chronomaster over the Ed White Speedmaster.

The Speedmaster 321 has a more illustrious history, and is by far the more exclusive watch. The Ed White is hand assembled and tested by a single watchmaker in small numbers. The finishing and the bracelet on the watch are out of this world. The movement is a work of art.

There is a reason the Ed White sells for a premium 2nd hand, while the Chronomaster can be had for 40% off at grey market dealers.
If I were an astronaut, I'd probably take the Speedmaster Pro. But bought valor (Fahoo Forays has not been to the moon himself) doesn't do it for me.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Zenith El Primero for me. Coming from a hesalite 3861 into an A384 Revival, at first I wasn’t 110% sold on the El Primero when I first got it in. After a couple months though, I’m glad I decided to swap. The El Primero’s have so much more life to them than the standard Speedmaster style. Looking back through my own photos of the 3861 Speedy, it feels a little more “one note” now.

Zenith as a watchmaker has a rich history as well. Lots of ups and downs as to be expected, but they’re in the same location since their founding in 1865. Even though the buildings have been renovated, those tall windows still show their heritage.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I am big Omega fan boy, but that Zenith does weird things to my wallet and my brain

• Helpful
Reactions: One-Seventy

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Edited to remove any snark on my part. Sorry

yeah, but 4:30 date window.......
If it mattered to me, I suppose I'd say that the Omega numbers should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise so they can be read on the wrist as it's angled. If I REALLY cared, I'd pass on anything with a date, ever, because I know the date when it's important to know it. Makes watch ownership that much easier.

Why should a date be on one of the cardinals anyway? I hope this doesn't inspire a subjective reply.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts