WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
The reference number is located inside the caseback. If you can get it open, just Google that number and you'll have your information.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A watchmaker can open it.
That case looks like a battery-change kiosk in the mall tried to open it with a butter knife or a pair of scissors.
Lol, he actually used a case knife...I'll find a an actual watchmaker, thanks.
Probably because it's a top-loader.
Yeah I was beginning to suspect that, the crystal came off relatively easy...
Probably because it's a top-loader.
Yeah I was beginning to suspect that, the crystal came off relatively easy...

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
843 is just a code to indicate that the bezel and case are a matching pair. You will sometimes see this with cases and case-backs as well. I have a number of Longines watches with matching codes in the case-back and on the back of a lug.

I have heard that this is particularly common for military watches (although the OP watch is not military), because military watchmakers were often working on many identical watches at the same time, and it was thought that keeping parts paired up ensured that they would fit correctly. Ironically, many of the military watchmakers ignored the numbers, and just assembled watches haphazardly. It's one of the quirky aspects of military watch collecting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
843 is just a code to indicate that the bezel and case are a matching pair. You will sometimes see this with cases and case-backs as well. I have a number of Longines watches with matching codes in the case-back and on the back of a lug.

I have heard that this is particularly common for military watches (although the OP watch is not military), because military watchmakers were often working on many identical watches at the same time, and it was thought that keeping parts paired up ensured that they would fit correctly. Ironically, many of the military watchmakers ignored the numbers, and just assembled watches haphazardly. It's one of the quirky aspects of military watch collecting.
Thanks for the info, the fact they match is a good thing? Any idea on the hallmarks? Tia

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, Habring2 Chrono COS ZM, Sinn EZM 10, and more...
7,144 Posts
Hello all, I'm starting to learn another pic and question...
Would this strap be classified as vintage? it's the strap that the watch came with? Thanks View attachment 16808936 View attachment 16808936
Sure, you could call it vintage, though I doubt collectors classify straps. Typically, a strap this old is just old, though vintage sounds nicer and it isn’t a lie! It isn’t the strap that was attached to the watch when it left the Omega factory.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
As someone said. Looks like a top loader and movement sitting in a movement ring (part with number on it.

Not even sure thats a genuine Omega case. Could be a custom/handmade case for an orphaned movement as I don't recall seeing a back like that before

Strap may be old, but I wouldn't use it. Age can deteriorate the integrity of the leather. Get something new

DON

1 - 20 of 20 Posts