WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to know, where should I look, for purchasing a new capacitor (OEM or otherwise) for an Omegamatic?

I have looked high and low, all I could find is that there are two capacitors available, one branded Renata (spelling?) and one from Panasonic. But where, oh where can I find it?

And can a regular watchmaker change it (meaning, is that similar to changing a battery? Any special tools or knowledge needed?)...

:-s

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump... Any hints?

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Bump... Any hints?
Hi...

I have actually asked this question a few weeks ago and one of the best guys to talk to about it is Kieron, you can find his posts on the forum and he'll be more than happy to explain his knowledge.

I have an Omegamatic as well and thought it was time for a capacitor change but somehow the life expectancy keeps on amazing me. Has yours completely stopped ticking, even with winding?

Thanks
Glimmer

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh, I don't have one yet; I'm talking to a guy that might sell me his. Hasn't been serviced ever (it's a 1997 vintage). So it's bound to need a new capacitor soon.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Uh, I don't have one yet; I'm talking to a guy that might sell me his. Hasn't been serviced ever (it's a 1997 vintage). So it's bound to need a new capacitor soon.
Omega's website has a section for servicing vintage movements and I've looked it over in the past. I cannot recall the specific movement anymore but it was definitely there in tabular form along with the cost...if I'm not mistaken it was somewhere between 200-300 CHF. That means there IS a capacitor out there for it...

I've been keeping mine mainly for collecting purposes and rarely ever wear it except for that special occasion or two...and it does still work. When I first got it I was quite obsessed in finding a capacitor but now my attitude has sort of waned a bit in that regard. Needless to say, I still think about it but am not worried that I won't be able to find one if I really needed it.

Why not try to e-mail Omega to get a straight answer? I'm sure they would know for sure. With an Omegamatic I would not trust replacement parts anyhow, so I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Glimmer

·
Registered
745 Posts
There are two.... one for each type of the AutoQuartz... early or late.

you can get either if you search, but the Renata ones Ive found recently havent worked :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts