WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any rhyme or reason to Omega's numbering system?
Can you tell mechanical or quartz from the numbers?
Can you tell the year its made from the number?
What is the diff between .5 and .8? etc...
thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:think: hummm
No thoughts? :)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
If in numbering systemn you are referring to the case ref number, then there is a method to the madness.

Here is a link to a page on Steve Waddington's site that explains this a bit:

http://www.old-omegas.com/omrefcod.html

thanks

·
1,124 Posts
thanks
Omega has beguan a new numbering system in 2007 which is many digits and more precisely identifies the watch. I have not yet obtained a complete key. It does not identify the year produced, but the collection, model, movement type, precise face and color, bracelet or strap (and color of strap) and metal of case, if I recall correctly . . . .

For instance, the 50th anniversary "patch" Speedy -- the 861 with an altered face and sapphire crystal is:

I don't know if this number is engraved anywhere on the watch. The old numbering system continues until a watch is modified.

and this number will be explained by Steve W's chart. These numbers are PIC codes. The first four digits are engraved in the caseback.

Which was a hesalite Speedy. Chuck Maddox has a chart on his website which explains these numbers, known as MAPICs numbers. These were engraved in the case backs. Often, a watch was known by both it's PIC and MAPIC in the early 1990s.

14324 -- a 1953 Seamaster Deluxe

However, if a model continued unchanged, it was not renumbered. These numbers are engraved in the case back.

For instance, in 1948 Omega introduced a jubilee watch for their 100th anniversary (Louis Brandt began watchmaking in 1848). This watch had a case reference of

These numbers are engraved in the case back.

OJ 716 AI

which I am sure conveyed information about the nature of the watch. But these numbers did not appear on the watch or its case.

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts