WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, ive been looking at Gs online and physically for over a year now, but still cannot decide on whicb one to get. I am not a hoarder or collector, nor am I rich, so i only want one that will last me hopefully my whole life.

So far, i like the functions of mudman (solar, atomic, compass) but dont like its size. Gulfman's size and look is closer to what i like (it is round), but is a bit overbudget and has some functions i dont need. So im totally frustrated.

So here is my question. If you could only have one G, or you could only recommend one G to someone who only wants one, which one would it be? Please keep the budget to $200 or under.

·
Registered
117 Posts
G-Shock MTGM900DA-8

Price: USD$95 at Amazon.com

Because its band is stainless steel material and that will last longer than resin band imho. And they say the solar battery would last longer than the usual battery. And it has got all the standard features in a G-Shock watch. So, this is the watch I would get if I want a not so expensive, last me a long time G-Shock watch.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Hi guys, ive been looking at Gs online and physically for over a year now, but still cannot decide on whicb one to get. I am not a hoarder or collector, nor am I rich, so i only want one that will last me hopefully my whole life.

So far, i like the functions of mudman (solar, atomic, compass) but dont like its size. Gulfman's size and look is closer to what i like (it is round), but is a bit overbudget and has some functions i dont need. So im totally frustrated.

So here is my question. If you could only have one G, or you could only recommend one G to someone who only wants one, which one would it be? Please keep the budget to $200 or under.
DW-5600E:

- relative cheap (depending where you live)
- small and relative thin
- no nonsese module
- uncluttered display
- shows current time in all modes

Alternatively the GW-M5610 which is atomic/solar but with a less advancded module.

cheers

·
Registered
396 Posts
DW-5600E:

- no nonsese module
- uncluttered display

Alternatively the GW-M5610 which is atomic/solar but with a less advancded module.

cheers
I didn't know the GW-M5610 has a less advanced module? I always thought it's a good value G, and would totally fit aquadog's requirements, minus the sensors he wanted.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts

My G9000 non-atomic Mudman wasn't nearly as big as the stock photos had me thinking it would be and is one of my favorites. I got it for $69.90 shipped and am wearing it now.

The DW-5600E and GW-M5610 are among my favorites too. The 5600 is a no nonsense all around tough watch. Same for the 5610 with the added features of solar power and atomic time. They're thin enough to wear under a long sleeve shirt without any problem too. I got my 5610 for $109 shipped.

I've got a GW3500B-1A aviator incoming for $175 shipped. I doubt you'd regret that decision if you were only going to have one watch to wear. It's solar and atomic, with Tough Movement, but doesn't have the compass, thermometer, or barometer.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
GW-M5610, with the leftover $100 you can grab GD-350 or something like that. Less is more.
DW-5600E:

- no nonsese module
- uncluttered display

Same from me - DW-5600 or GW-M5610, just simpliest (the first one) of all.

Also small enough, so no one would look like with an older brother's watch on the wrist ... ;)

·
Registered
528 Posts
The Riseman GW-9200: it's light, small(ish), extremely comfortable, and with great functionality (solar, atomic, alti-baro-temp). It should be available for under 200USD.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DW-5600E is pretty awesome for under $50, but if you want solar go with the 5610. However, the solar version annoys me by not showing the current time in all modes. There are situations where I like the stop watch going for a long time with the current time showing, can't do that with the 5610. I wish they would make a model that would...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I didn't know the GW-M5610 has a less advanced module? I always thought it's a good value G, and would totally fit aquadog's requirements, minus the sensors he wanted.
No doubt, it is a good value G but...

Ronin226 said:
DW-5600E is pretty awesome for under $50, but if you want solar go with the 5610. However, the solar version annoys me by not showing the current time in all modes. There are situations where I like the stop watch going for a long time with the current time showing, can't do that with the 5610. I wish they would make a model that would...
... Ronin hit the nail, regarding the "lesser" module.

cheers

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I wonder often, why there are so few Gs with this feature - modules are there, it shouldn't be that difficult...

If it can be done in so small watch, like 5600, could work also for larger ones - and there is only GD350, at least under mine Gs...

·
Registered
344 Posts
No doubt, it is a good value G but...

cheers
Without the current time on display we get tough solar and multiband 6. Technically less is more :)
I wonder how I have managed to live without seeing the current time when using CDT or another timer.

But what ever the OP chooses, he cant go wrong with the G's. Pick your poison, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the replies! I actually prefer round watches to square ones, but so many people have recommended the GW-M5610 I have to consider that too!

The G-9000 looks good too, I like the idea of a smaller, cheaper mudman. It is not solar though...

I also really like the look of the gulfman, so I am considering the G9100, but again it isn't solar.

Any other possibilities?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I think you should stick with your original selection, the gw9300 mudman. I have the non atomic version and I loves it. Second in my heart only to my rangeman. So having the atomic would be a close battle. It's a stellar looking watch, nice and circular as opposed to all the boxy looking g's. List goes on but yea stick with the 9300 IMO

·
Registered
6 Posts

From the looks, I like the G-9300 a lot! If I were you, I'd get the Mudman.

An easy answer to this question is: DW-5600E. That's my only G up to the moment, so it's the only one I have experience on. But as you might notice, it's received a lot of love and respect from people here around WUS. Being one of the few watches certified by NASA for space missions as well as one of Mr. Ibe's favorite, what could be wrong? ;-)

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try the solar/atomic Gulfman GW-9110, it's the GW-9200 Riseman's long lost brother. It wears slightly taller than the Riseman and is not quite as comfortable, but is better looking to my eyes.

I also really like the look of the gulfman, so I am considering the G9100, but again it isn't solar.

Any other possibilities?[/COLOR]

Reactions: Ronin226

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If as per title to have one G to rule them all, the price range has to be increased and my vote goes to the Rangeman for its all-roundedness in functions, else would be the 1000 series Frogman for its uniqueness.

If below $200, I'd also vote for any of the 5600 series.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts