WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there WUS! It's been years since I've posted here. I've kept my distance from buying watches and my Seiko SKX007 has done me well these past few years (recently purchased a NATO strap to bring it back to life. But I'm considering buying a few watches I've been wanting for AT LEAST 5 years now.

My question to you guys is, would you prefer to have one good higher end watch, or a good selection of quality watches?

For years I've been wanting the two Hamilton Jazzmaster's (1st two pics). I absolutely LOVE them still to this day, I remember seeing them in person for the first time in a store in the Bahamas when I went just after high school, instantly fell in love. I've also liked Tissot and a couple years ago started to really consider them. I've been eyeing the PRS516 line. The 3rd pic is one I'm considering to be my "sportier", everyday watch alongside my SKX007. The Hamiltons would be my office wears. I'm 25 and work in accounting if it matters.

Since starting college 5-6 years ago, I told myself I would get the Tag Heuer Carerra (4th pic) when I graduated college. I plan on FINALLY graduating next year. I also saw this watch in a cruise ship store for the first time and fell in love haha

Would you guys rather have the first three watches (numerous quality watches), or the one higher end Tag?

I also really like the last two (5th & 6th pics) Tissots that have very similar design to the Tag, and will still be more than $1,000 less together than the Tag alone. Perhaps get those in the meantime.

Should I get the two Hamiltons now finally after so many years of dreaming of them, and the Tissot (3rd), and get my Tag when I graduate like I've told myself I would those many years ago, or get the Tag now and stay with the 1 watch for years to come? I'm pretty much starting my collection now. Sold off my Citizen watches 3-4 years ago, and only kept my Seiko.

Thanks for your input guys! I'm curious as to what you would choose...1 high end vs numerous.

PS, my absolute dream watch is the Breitling Aviator, followed by the Omega Seamaster PO

EDIT: apologies for the long post!

Walter..

Attachments

·
Registered
12,449 Posts
Numerous, for me, because variety is the spice of life, and there are very few Watches that I would be comfortable in wearing everywhere.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Numerous, for me, because variety is the spice of life, and there are very few Watches that I would be comfortable in wearing everywhere.
I've been leaning towards numerous as well. Variety is never bad to have either.
I would actually be spending less with the first three together than with the Tag alone haha. Go figure!

Walter..

·
Registered
15,938 Posts
1 does not compute . . .

·
Registered
368 Posts
To each his own. Persoanlly I like having many different watches to choose from. But in the same vein I do not buy and horde just any watch just for the sake of having them. I have an idea of what I want my collection to consist of and cultivate that goal. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong answer. Do what makes YOU happy.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Since day one I figured I was in it for the long haul, my #1 rule is wait and get what I REALLY want. I built my collection over time and rarely have I ever felt the need to sell a watch because I bought what I really loved, no matter how long it took. Remember, if you still buy what you really want in the end, the money spent on watches to tide you over is often wasted money AND often extends the time before you can start enjoying what you really wanted.

The key to this approach is truly being able to determine what it is you really want, some people are good at that, some not so much.

My approach has led me to a wide variety of watches that I love every one and don't feel I have cheated on quality, but with most everything in life I play the long game.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To each his own. Persoanlly I like having many different watches to choose from. But in the same vein I do not buy and horde just any watch just for the sake of having them. I have an idea of what I want my collection to consist of and cultivate that goal. At the end of the day there is no right or wrong answer. Do what makes YOU happy.
I completely agree with you, no point in spending ones hard earned money on something one does not truly want/desire.

Walter..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One is too few, but I see the value in having a small collection of higher-end watches. In the end, you can only wear one at a time after all.
I definitely don't want to go overboard. I have an addictive personality, so I always want more, but with watches I know I'm extremely selective. I really want all six watches above, plus my top two "dream" pieces. I suppose one could wear one watch on each wrist... but that would be a bit awkward.

Walter..

·
Registered
790 Posts
I always value quality over quantity. Any time I settle for something (usually because of cost), I nearly always end up selling it later on, losing money on it. When your heart is set on something, it never gets fulfilled until you have that something. You said "perhaps get those in the meantime". Sounds to me that you'd be settling for something less than what you want.

If you can afford the Carrera now without financial difficulties, I vote for that. Variety will come later :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Since day one I figured I was in it for the long haul, my #1 rule is wait and get what I REALLY want. I built my collection over time and rarely have I ever felt the need to sell a watch because I bought what I really loved, no matter how long it took. Remember, if you still buy what you really want in the end, the money spent on watches to tide you over is often wasted money AND often extends the time before you can start enjoying what you really wanted.

The key to this approach is truly being able to determine what it is you really want, some people are good at that, some not so much.

My approach has led me to a wide variety of watches that I love every one and don't feel I have cheated on quality, but with most everything in life I play the long game.
I think this is the reason I sold off three Citizen watches 3-4 years ago.. they weren't watches I truly loved. My Seiko SKX007 on the other hand is still wonderful.
Me still getting excited when I see pictures of those Hamilton's and Tag after so many years is what makes me say I really do want them. I believe I won't regret buying any of the six above watches.

I've been considering getting the first three within the first half of the year.. and when I graduate next year, if the finances allow, I'll get the Tag as I've always planned. The last two Tissot's can also hold me off until I get the Tag. Watch window shopping is so fun, yet so stressful haha

Walter..

·
Registered
458 Posts
Fewer for the simple fact that you only have one wrist. Start with the tag and then see how you feel about the others down the line.

·
Registered
929 Posts
If you had all 4 watches to choose from in your rotation would you equally reach for all 4 or would you reach for the TAG more often? If the answer is equal then get the 3...if the answer is that you'd disproporationately reach for the TAG then get the TAG. You can always pick up a Seiko or Orient for a couple hundred bucks if you still crave variety.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I always value quality over quantity. Any time I settle for something (usually because of cost), I nearly always end up selling it later on, losing money on it. When your heart is set on something, it never gets fulfilled until you have that something. You said "perhaps get those in the meantime". Sounds to me that you'd be settling for something less than what you want.

If you can afford the Carrera now without financial difficulties, I vote for that. Variety will come later :)
You're right about me settling with those last two Tissot's, they would be watches I'd get in place of the Tag, which is truly the one I want along with the Hamilton's.
I may get the Hamilton's, and the first Tissot for now. Waiting until next year for the Tag will just be that much more rewarding when I finally get it. Who knows though, I may say screw graduation gift and just get that Tag now on an impulse (although it won't be an impulse purchase) and get the Hamilton's later lol

Walter..

1 - 20 of 167 Posts