WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend posted on facebook, after his ten year old solar seiko took a dive. these are his requirements and he believes they are unattainable. of course many watches match some requirements. any ideas on a watch which covers all the bases? im not asking for criticism of his requirements, just feedback about watches which meet these parameters. thanks!

My dream watch has to have the following features.

1. No battery. Can either be auto or solar. Power reserve > 72 hr.
2. Smooth movement of the second hand. No "ticks" nor "high-beat".
3. Perpetual calendar.
4. GPS time, auto sync.
5. Water resistance > 20 ATM.
6. Abuse proof, scratch resistant, no regular service needed.
7. 20+ yr expected service life.
8. Price < $10,000.00
I would buy the said watch if it exists. Maybe I should launch a competition for this.

·
Registered
235 Posts
a friend posted on facebook, after his ten year old solar seiko took a dive. these are his requirements and he believes they are unattainable. of course many watches match some requirements. any ideas on a watch which covers all the bases? im not asking for criticism of his requirements, just feedback about watches which meet these parameters. thanks!

My dream watch has to have the following features.

1. No battery. Can either be auto or solar. Power reserve > 72 hr.
2. Smooth movement of the second hand. No "ticks" nor "high-beat".
3. Perpetual calendar.
4. GPS time, auto sync.
5. Water resistance > 20 ATM.
6. Abuse proof, scratch resistant, no regular service needed.
7. 20+ yr expected service life.
8. Price < $10,000.00
I would buy the said watch if it exists. Maybe I should launch a competition for this.
Well, buy a G-Shock ;-)

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI CAN-L11 mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,285 Posts
Hardened titanium diver-Chronograph

All-Titanium solar charged, atomic adjusted Worldtime with quickset hour hand and countdown timer, chronograph and dive bezel, perpetual calendar, day & date, alarm. Only sold new in Japan.

Tanaka shot of OCW-P500T titanium chrono-diver

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats my thinking as well. unless he simply doesnt want a super nice grand seiko. the oceanus looks hugely complicated, but fits quite a few of the parameters. thanks for the suggestion, its a very good one.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I’m not sure what do you mean by “no ticks nor high-beat”, even the smoothest of watch movements would have BPH. However, reading your criteria it sounds like the job for either Casio Oceanus, Citizen Satellite Wave or Seiko Astron.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
sorry but he seems to not have an idea of how mechanical watches work. I think you can throw any mechanical out the door if you don't want even a high-beat, and 20+ year service intervals. Even spring drive with their smooth sweep seconds hand I think are recommended for service the same as any other mechanical.

So basically looking for like a Seiko Astron or other GPS watch with a smooth sweep second hand, which I don't think exists. Would having no running seconds hand be an option? Maybe can find a chronograph without a running seconds hand? I can't think of any, but maybe there's something like that out there.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
The way I read (2) about smooth seconds hand, with no ticks or high beat, is not one tick-per-second, nor six, eight, or 16. If he wants smooth, it’ll be spring drive, but he’ll lose the other elements like GPS.

If he wants a watch with most of those elements, I’d suggest he check out Seiko Astron, Casio Oceanus and G-Shock (MTG and MR-G lines too), and Grand Seiko.

·
Premium Member
2,526 Posts
Nothing I know of ticks off all those requirements.

Bulova Precisionist has smooth second hand but no atomic or GPS time, requires a battery, and no 200M WR.
Grand Seiko Spring Drive watches have smooth second hand and some have 200M WR, but no atomic or GPS sync (but accuracy @ +/- 0.5 spd)
G-Shock has atomic time sync, 200M WR, sapphire crystal, but no smooth second hand. Battery but the battery lasts 10 years.
Citizen Eco-drive has models with atomic time sync, but no smooth second hand, and most have only 100M WR and mineral crystal.

If I had to give up one thing on the list, it would be the smooth second hand. That opens up the choices considerably.

·
Registered
379 Posts
How do you run a reciever for atomic time or GPS without a battery?

Reactions: tayloreuph

·
Registered
141 Posts
Good luck finding an automatic watch with GPS. I agree the Casio probably ticks the most boxes, not sure most people want that many things on a watch. If I felt I needed all that info I would just buy an Apple Watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
654 Posts
My eyes glazed over while reading the list of often contrary requirements, but it seems that someone actually found a watch that fits!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts