WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Tudor sub was issued to my buddy in the Navy. He recently had it serviced, but otherwise just wears and loves it.
He saved it one day while walking thru supply, the sailor in the unit was smashing a large amount of them with a hammer as they had been replaced by G Shocks. My friend asked him if he could have one and he handed one over.
3C03DC24-9E80-40AC-B04B-C7F7DAF3DD9D.jpeg

·
Registered
777 Posts
I wonder what the odds are of seeing something like this in an army/navy surplus store. Genuine question because I have 0 idea how those stores work

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Makes you wonder how many other items (not just watches) throughout history have been deliberately destroyed or simply discarded that in todays world we would cherish.
Love this type of story tho,

·
Registered
Seikosha
992 Posts
The old adage applies... One man's trash is another's crazy-watch-story-that-has-watch-fiends-like-me-foaming-at-the-mouth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Great watch with a great story.

Makes you wonder how many other items (not just watches) throughout history have been deliberately destroyed or simply discarded that in todays world we would cherish.
Love this type of story tho,
I've seen video of guys pushing brand new Jeeps off the side of a Navy ship after WWII ended. I guess it was cheaper than bringing them all the way home and they just had no use for them all after the war ended. I'd love to have one of those.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If that sailor had saved all the tudors rather than smashing them he might have been able to send his kid to college. At least a state school. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
They should have been sold through a government agency for disposal
of surplus property. That way taxpayers, who have already paid for
them once, can pay for them again.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I wonder why they were being smashed?

They could have just been dumped; it’s not like it was a battleship that had to be broken up.

Back then how much were beat up Tudor Sub heads worth? $1-200?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Trying to wrap my mind around who or why would ever give an order to "smash" such a small piece of military equipment. Its not like you save space in a garbage dump by destroying the watches. Did they also destroy all office products and other military equipment. I guess government has never been proven purveyor of intelligent decision making.

·
Premium Member
29,342 Posts
Trying to wrap my mind around who or why would ever give an order to "smash" such a small piece of military equipment. Its not like you save space in a garbage dump by destroying the watches. Did they also destroy all office products and other military equipment. I guess government has never been proven purveyor of intelligent decision making.
I think if you know anything about government procurement and asset disposal, you will understand that there is a procedure for such disposal of assets. It's a one size fits all rule, and since this rule was made so that you can't have military grade weapons being disposed improperly ending up with family & friends, this same rule was probably used on the watches. The sailor was just doing his job and destroying all the watches the only way he knows how. Assets have serial numbers and can be traced back to the paperwork, so the sailor isn't going to jeopardise his job for some old watches. I am sure he spots a G-shock on his wrist.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think if you know anything about government procurement and asset disposal, you will understand that there is a procedure for such disposal of assets. It's a one size fits all rule, and since this rule was made so that you can't have military grade weapons being disposed improperly ending up with family & friends, this same rule was probably used on the watches. The sailor was just doing his job and destroying all the watches the only way he knows how. Assets have serial numbers and can be traced back to the paperwork, so the sailor isn't going to jeopardise his job for some old watches. I am sure he spots a G-shock on his wrist.
I guess you've proven my point.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I wonder what the odds are of seeing something like this in an army/navy surplus store. Genuine question because I have 0 idea how those stores work
Things that are considered "dangerous" are destroyed. Most surplus is sold at auctions on pallets. I was in the Army band... A lot of trumpet players for example, would keep the valves for their old trumpet (ever needing to really upgrade this is a completely different matter). This way when they went to auction they were worthless without the valves. I had the job one time to bring a bunch of old PA equipment and very expensive racks (Anvil cases for those that know) to the dump. They never made it to the dump:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts