WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
I've seen these watches on more than one site, and the one with the black dial looks like the 4th hand is missing. Why is this? I thought they were the same except for the color.

The one on the right is a "Purist" 24-hour watch, which means that the hour hand goes around once in 24 hours. The one on the left is a "GMT" configuration, in which the main hour hand goes around every 12 hours, and the green hand every 24. Glycine makes a couple different styles in the Purist version, and I believe all SSTs (except the D24) are available in the GMT configuration.

For those of us in the "Purist" camp, there's something not-quite-right with a GMT Pumpkin:):):).

·
3,631 Posts
You got that right, Michael.
Either that, or there's something not-quite-right with us :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
So the one with the GMT hand is not a 100% 24 hour watch. I get it now. Thanks guys.
Exactly right! That's a little bit of a landmine if you're into 24-hour watches:):):). It's also what most salespeople will think you're asking for if you go to most watch shops.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly right! That's a little bit of a landmine if you're into 24-hour watches:):):). It's also what most salespeople will think you're asking for if you go to most watch shops.
What do you mean by landmine?

Well, darn, I was thinking about getting the Glycine instead of the Poljot Aviator chrono with my tax refund. But I want the orange dial and an hour hand that goes around ONCE a day. Looks like a tough decision!

·
3,631 Posts
"Landmine" means that if you ask for an SST-06 you'll most likely get handed the 12hr/GMT...Since that's what the "masses" would want...a watch with a normal 12 hour hand.
If you want a true 24 hour watch, then simply specify this to the dealer when you order. These are usually referred to as "purist" models. All the Glycine dealers I know would understand your meaning.
While we're on terminology...
The SST-06 with the split gray/black dial and orange inner bezel looks exactly like the original SST from the late 60's. That watch was called the "pumpkin" by collectors, I'm sure due to the case shape and the orange.
So...if you really want the model with the orange bezel...
You'd simply tell the dealer you want a "Purist Pumpkin" :-!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Looking at the Glycine website, it appears the black dial/orange bezel is actually the only version available from the factory in a "Purist" configuration. Having said that, I am quite certain that any SST can be converted (check with Werner at Falcon Watch). In any case, when you go to buy, you can double check the reference number. Again, according to Glycine's website, that's: 3856.106.

Enjoy!

-Michael

1 - 11 of 11 Posts