WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized I've missed anniversary: just about one year ago, after some anguishing, I pulled the trigger on my first high-end watch: a GP Laureato. It wasn't the most expensive thing I've ever bought (photography can get kind of crazy...), but as far as watches, it was a major step up (previous purchases had been a 300 dollar Orient and a 500 dollar Certina quartz). I was in love, and thought I'd never wear, or even want, another watch.

Yes, I was that naive :)

While most people started dressing down during the pandemic, I started dressing up. No longer having to commute or worrying about implied dress codes, I started dressing in a much more classic, tailored style. And while the Laureato worked with worsted wool suits, I found it looked a bit too modern with tweed jackets and flannel trousers. It is also quite a sizable watch on my thin wrists - not unwearable, but it stands out a bit. So I began dreaming about something with a bit of old-school charm, while still maintaining the benefits of a relatively modern watch.

After consulting these forums I found what I think is the perfect companion to the Laureato: the Blancpain Leman Ultra Thin 100h. Smaller, thinner, feels like an older watch, but still benefits from modern engineering.

I still wear the Laureato with more casual clothes (and I figure the bracelet will be great during the summer!), but the BP gets by far the most wrist time. I'm quite happy with my little collection; I still use my Certina as a beater (and at the gym, back when I could go to the gym, the chronograph was actually useful to time exercises and reps). And yet... and yet.... I find myself wanting something even smaller and thinner. Something dressier. A proper dress watch to round off the collection (for now).

Currently building up a bit of a buffert, so I'm not in any real hurry to buy. Been trying out many of the usual suspects (Breguet, Lange, VC, Patek), but I've had a hard time finding something that is meaningfully smaller than the BP (probably around 35-36mm), no thicker, and that I like the look of, but that won't break the bank; I'd rather not spend much over 10k, and I'd prefer something in red or yellow gold since the other two are in steel.

But until I find it, I will keep enjoying the watches I have... and drool over Zeitwerks, VC 1921s and other things I can't afford :)

Anyway, here's to another year of high end watches!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I‘m not sure why you felt the need to dress up, but good watch choices anyway.

Glad you’re having fun in these unusual times.

Reactions: Sam K

·
Premium Member
14,789 Posts
Congrats on enjoying your already nice collection, and looking forward to what you pick for that dress watch option!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Congrats on a beautiful year!

If you are looking for a great dress watch at 35-36mm, I can really recommend the Breguet Classique line, my preference is for the 5907 with a venerable movement and incredible power reserve (similar to your BP).
The Chopard LUC 1896 also come to mind as incredible choices that won't completely break the bank. Small dress watches is a fantastic category and in the sub-$10k range you can find amazing pieces. Good luck for the hunt!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I too upped my watch game during the lockdowns. Not sure what will happen as things get back to normal.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You have excellent watches from two great brands. For a slim dress watch, an interesting option is a Vacheron Constantin or Breguet with a hand-wind movement. Both the Breguet 3910 and Vacheron Constantin Ref. 92240 use a JLC ebauche and are incredibly elegant.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, everyone! For such a horrid year, watches have been some comfort, and the source of some new friends.

I‘m not sure why you felt the need to dress up, but good watch choices anyway.

Glad you’re having fun in these unusual times.
It's a good question. I guess it's for the same reason I felt the need to buy watches with beautifully hand-decorated movements when a simple, mass manufactured quartz would technically serve better: I just enjoy it more.

Congrats on a beautiful year!

If you are looking for a great dress watch at 35-36mm, I can really recommend the Breguet Classique line, my preference is for the 5907 with a venerable movement and incredible power reserve (similar to your BP).
The Chopard LUC 1896 also come to mind as incredible choices that won't completely break the bank. Small dress watches is a fantastic category and in the sub-$10k range you can find amazing pieces. Good luck for the hunt!

I adore the idea of the Chopard LUC, but I never find one I actually like the look of. Value-for-money they're probably the best high end watches you'll find. But that Breguet is stunning, and at that size I could probably get away with the rather distinct lugs.

Stop mucking around. At 36mm your best bet for a dress watch is to just get a (vintage) Rolex datejust...
Thanks, but when I get a Rolex it will be a Submariner two-tone with the blue dial. Yellow and blue being the colors of Sweden and all. But I think I'll hold out until they release that without a date window.

You have excellent watches from two great brands. For a slim dress watch, an interesting option is a Vacheron Constantin or Breguet with a hand-wind movement. Both the Breguet 3910 and Vacheron Constantin Ref. 92240 use a JLC ebauche and are incredibly elegant.
Thank you, the Breguet is a really interesting one, along with the 5907 mentioned above. As for VC, I already have two dream watches from there (in addition to the 3rd gen Overseas, which is just too similar in role to my Laureato); the VC Malte Grand Classique, and the Historiques American 1921 (which sadly would need to be combined with a vintage sports car, so I could spend the rest of my life taking "hand on steering wheel" pictures!).

Reactions: GrouchoM
1 - 13 of 13 Posts