WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My blue dial SMP 300M Pro worn everyday for 366 consecutive days. On wrist 23+ hours/day.

Executive Summary: My watch is a precise time keeper. Perhaps too accurate.

Approach:
1. Deviations measured with an Oregon Scientific "Atomic" clock and a digital stopwatch.
2. A Running Average Daily Rate (RADR) recorded for each month's 4 constituent weeks.
3. For convenience, 1 "Month"= 4 weeks.
4. For 10 months, watch hacked once at the start of a 4 week increment. Months #s 7&8, hacked each week.
5. In order to align my technique to a calendar year, Month #11's RADR is the average of 2-four week increments.

Data:

1. Overall 12 month ADR = +0.7 s/d
2. Rate stabilization occurred @ Month 8.
3. RADR Range: -0.5 to +2.0; Overall delta = 2.5 s/d.
4. Acid Test: Month 12 (+0.9) - Month 1 (+1.3)= -0.4 s/d.
5. Automatic Winding Efficiency= Measured Power Reserve/Spec. Power Reserve = 59.2 hrs/55hrs = 108%

Discussion:

1. Watch's factory determined ADR was +4.9 s/d. Mine (+0.7 s/d) is a reduction of nearly 86%; too much. My watch has only got maybe a year or so before it is in the "-".
2. The small Acid Test number is rather remarkable. As a comparison, if this had been an elabore ETA/Sellita movement, it would have been in the - 4.0 to -5.0 s/d range.
3. Auto Winding Efficiency is 8% BEYOND what the Laws of Physics will allow, so Automatic Winding Efficiency checked good.

Conclusion:

This is only a sample of 1 and one year is not "long term", but so far, it appears Omega has something good going on with their new movements.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Interesting. You are right about one year may not be representative of all the years leading up to service. I would suspect that if the watch would say worn consistently up to being serviced the spd variance would begin to widen — and quite possibly beyond the +4.9 s/d as suggested by the factory.

·
Registered
12,101 Posts
Slacker. Only 23 hours/day?

Great feedback on your watch.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I'm a stickler for accuracy, and when I get a new automatic I'll usually keep a daily log of how the watch is performing against atomic clock time. After the first few weeks I stopped bothering with my SMP300.

Once every 2 months when the date needs to be manually advanced I'll hack the watch until real time catches up, and each time I've done that the Omega has been about +10 seconds fast. So about +0.16 seconds per day, on average.

·
Registered
732 Posts
For the past 41 days, my Ploprof has only been off my wrist for about 1 hour total. It’s a keeper, and has only gained 23 seconds, so it’s at +0.57 SPD.

Very satisfied.

Sincerely
Louis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts