WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exist something simmilar like "Shuggart’s complete price guide to watches", but in online version?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
The only one I'm familiar with is looking at "completed listings" on an ebay search to get a gauge of what the price may be.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Jeff Stein has a spectacularly complete, up-to-date and commented one for vintage Heuers at On the Dash. Vintage Heuer Price Guide
That whole site is a shining example of freely shared collecting resources, a model effort.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Because of the work to compile a database for all watches, and then research and update them, you'd need a substantial staff to pull it off. This is why you only find a few instances.
Shugart's has been doing a book for years, and even it only touches on a large sampling. They also make money doing it by keeping it off the web.
A wiki solution would be the best.

·
Registered
18,169 Posts
that´s pity... only Heuer :)
Jeff is into Heuers and does this as a service. He has a pretty faithful crew on his site that probably helps out. But even it is only an approximation.

In addition to being comprehensive, Schuggart makes allowances for condition. I think its a well done effort that is worth buying. Considering how much more information you have, you can easily save its cost by smarter buying.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Jeff is into Heuers and does this as a service. He has a pretty faithful crew on his site that probably helps out. But even it is only an approximation.

In addition to being comprehensive, Schuggart makes allowances for condition. I think its a well done effort that is worth buying. Considering how much more information you have, you can easily save its cost by smarter buying.
Agreed, I don't always agree with Shugart's pricing (mostly way too low), but appreciate the work that they have to do to compile info. These guys came well before the internet era, and prices suddenly changed substantially when eBay and online buying came into widespread popularity. Never thought they had a handle on the changes and still clung to their network of older resources for pricing. Even today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts