WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Wall Street Journal posted an article today stating the now Google is also developing a Smart Watch to counter existing products like the Pebble, as well as Apple's potential product release perhaps as soon as this Fall. Considering that Apple doesn't enter a new product line unless it believes it can be a game changer, what does everyone think will be the fallout of these new products?

How will the Smart Watch products ultimately affect quartz watches — which for the most part are purchased by non-WIS? What about mechanical watches?

I definitely see Smart Watches taking a bite out of mid-line quartz watches. The price point will be about equal and the Smart Watches will have the too cool for words factor at least initially.

The most curious question is what will happen to mid and high-end mechanicals? Smart Watches could ultimately increase the sales of higher-end mechanicals by making wrist wear more common again. It could be that Smart Watches might decrease sales across the board because everyone will want a Smart Watch. And some killer apps may be developed for the Smart Watches that might lock their sales in more strongly. And Smart Watches might not have any affect on mechanicals at all.

Assuming both Apple and Google release products that are highly desirable, how long before we see people wearing something on both wrists!

Reactions: davidtsee

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Here's what I would call a smart watch.

JLC 1, Google 0.

Kindest Regards,
Portauto

·
Registered
454 Posts
This raises questions. Do you need to sync your Smart Watch with any other device? (Computer, Smart Phone)
If one already has a Smart Phone, then why get a Smart Watch?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
one of my quartz watch (battery) just died, a bit hard to go out and get a new battery,

my 'Smart' phone just acted up ... decided to go on hibernate mode ... not sure if I'm too keen on 'smart watches'

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I definitely see Smart Watches taking a bite out of mid-line quartz watches. The price point will be about equal and the Smart Watches will have the too cool for words factor at least initially.
Are they coming with water resistance and at least a year's battery life? If not, I don't think they're going to touch quartz watch sales. They're not watches, just gadgets. Nobody wants to charge his watch every night and nobody wants to buy a new watch every time it rains.

Assuming both Apple and Google release products that are highly desirable, how long before we see people wearing something on both wrists!
I would do this, if it had the right suite of information available. I'd need e-mail, messages, and calendar alerts at the least before it would go on my right wrist. It would also need the aforementioned battery life and at least rain/handwashing water resistance. I've actually thought that if somebody made a good rainproof wrist GPS it would become my go-to motorcycle watch. For that I'd even be willing to charge it every night.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This raises questions. Do you need to sync your Smart Watch with any other device? (Computer, Smart Phone)
If one has any sort of phone, why does one need a regular watch? Yet many watches are still purchased and worn. Though many do go without and only use their SmartPhone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If one has any sort of phone, why does one need a regular watch? Yet many watches are still purchased and worn. Though many do go without and only use their SmartPhone.
Well, simple answer is that smart phones are only useful with the latest updates. My i-product has found ways to fail me on a few occasions. I truly understand your point, yet I guess I don't understand the movement society feels it needs to make. I find my life much more enjoyable when I forget my smart phone and am nowhere near a computer.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every time a thread is made on the subject, I see the same three names pop up with the same three watches.
It's hardly an onslaught.
You need to adjust your perceptions. The iPhone was released in June 2007, and globally about 800 million SmartPhones have been purchased so far. A watch run of 5000 units is considered very strong. They will be measuring the first four months of an Apple Smart Watch release in the 100's of thousands of units sold.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, simple answer is that smart phones are only useful with the latest updates. My i-product has found ways to fail me on a few occasions. I truly understand your point, yet I guess I don't understand the movement society feels it needs to make. I find my life much more enjoyable when I forget my smart phone and am nowhere near a computer.
Heh. Luddite! Happiness is a warm rock and a book.

I die when I don't have Internet access! When else in history could you carry around an entire library in your pocket? I understand how many groan when they see someone poking at a keyboard at inappropriate times. Not me — don't have a need to text my teenage girlfriends. But I am constantly reading on mine.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The irony of the times: smart phones, dumb people.

My phone is already smart, and now my watch is going to be? Well, that's reassuring, considering most young people today can hardly afford a proper education without becoming ensconced in debt.

·
Banned
3,147 Posts
Well, I don't want a smart watch and will never buy anything like that. I will continue to wear my mechanicals and only my mechanicals. There's a statistic for them. :-d

·
Registered
19,383 Posts
A variation of this question was posed in another recent thread ("Seiko vs Smartphone" or something like that).

People who preferred using their watch for telling time instead of their phone almost always gave one (or both) of two reasons. It's more convenient, and it's less rude than pulling out a phone.

Picture a smartwatch working the same way, then. If you get a message, whether it's an email, text, or call, you can glance at your watch and decide whether it's worth dragging the phone out of your pocket or purse.

You wouldn't have to leave the phone on the restaurant table for quick access (a practice which some people find ridiculous anyway), and you won't have to leave the ringer on, either. For that matter, you can even switch its vibration off and have the phone sit completely silent.

Now, how much "smartness" gets crammed into a watch depends on two things (IMO) -- power, and interface. It doesn't do any good to have a common feature buried six menus deep (something that bugs me about my Garmin GPS watch), but you can't squish so much info onto the screen that you need a loupe, either. And, if the battery won't last at least from bedtime till bedtime -- or, even better, all week -- it's just going to be a dead weight, possibly at a terribly inconvenient time.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
You need to adjust your perceptions. The iPhone was released in June 2007, and globally about 800 million SmartPhones have been purchased so far. A watch run of 5000 units is considered very strong. They will be measuring the first four months of an Apple Smart Watch release in the 100's of thousands of units sold.
That's because they're phones.

The thing that I see is that just because this device is targeted for wearing on the wrist, everyone automatically assumes it is a natural rival for the traditional wrist-watch.
It just isn't and especially not for mechanical watches.

Let's say your projected figures for sales is correct and it's going to 100s of thousands.
That still doesn't mean it is a rival product to a traditional wrist watch because their USP is totally different.

Trying to assess how successful a wrist based device will be on how successful the previous devices were/are, doesn't work, especially when those previous two devices are much bigger and ultimately more useful.
At best, I see this as being an accessory.

Of course, much of this is being said without knowing exactly what it is that they actually are making. So far, everyone is describing them as being essentially another i device but in a different scale. To fully judge its worth, we really would need more details.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you get a message, whether it's an email, text, or call, you can glance at your watch and decide whether it's worth dragging the phone out of your pocket or purse.

You wouldn't have to leave the phone on the restaurant table for quick access (a practice which some people find ridiculous anyway), and you won't have to leave the ringer on, either. For that matter, you can even switch its vibration off and have the phone sit completely silent.
I just find it sad that we would get to the point where people would be too lazy to take their phone out of their pocket to see who is calling. And as far as quick access, what exactly would happen if you take an extra 5 seconds to answer your phone? Would the fate of the free world depend on it?

·
Banned
2,210 Posts
The more onslaught of smart-watches, the more we lose of horological history. Same with the movement from retro cars and automobiles.. they become more plasticky and filled with gadgets and more dependent on more energy consumption, more batteries, more prone to failure. It's sad. I say WUS is the one place that is a little of the old and will continue to flourish. We should ban all the smart watches from making it onto here. Technology is said to be progressive but nobody mentions the death of the history and beautiful intricacies of where it came from.. the old vintage and reliable mechanical aspects of the past.

- DavidTsee

·
Registered
19,383 Posts
I just find it sad that we would get to the point where people would be too lazy to take their phone out of their pocket to see who is calling. And as far as quick access, what exactly would happen if you take an extra 5 seconds to answer your phone? Would the fate of the free world depend on it?
I don't think it's laziness, I think it's the execution of digging it out.

We were at the grocery store today and heard a ringtone going off five or six times before the hapless owner was able to get it out of her purse in her shopping cart. One ring, I can understand; two rings, well, you should be looking at your phone already. More than that, you're just lost in the sauce, and everyone nearby is giving you the hairy eyeball.

Plus, like I said, you could leave your phone on dead silent (in a quiet room, a vibrate alert isn't "silent" anyway) and still be notified of a call. And when you're out to dinner, you can leave your phone hidden away and actually pay attention to your friends.

·
Registered
382 Posts
One word: exercise. When I'm running or lifting weights, it's a pain to pull out my phone to look at texts and emails or control music, etc. you can also use it to control fitness apps such as Runkeeper. There are smartwatches that can run for a week on one charge. The exercise thing is the game changer for me. It really disrupts my workout to did my phone out of the pocket. I don't have the option to ignore things, especially when I sneak away during the day for a workout.
I personally don't care to use it during the rest of the day or when going out at night, but I understand how people say it could be less obtrusive to look at your wrist.
The exercise thing is why I bought a Smartwatch from this project : http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/435159/emal/3728038

1 - 18 of 18 Posts