WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 and a bit years of watch addiction during which I've got through 50 or so mostly affordable watches I sat down and looked at the watches I loved the most. These were my Rolex Explorer I, Sinn 656 and CWC G10. What that exercise (and the reverse, thinking about what cause me to flip all the watches I've flipped) made me realise is that I like most are simple, legible pieces that are very well executed. I also realised that if they're smallish, have black dials, Arabic numerals, fixed bezels, unprotected crowns and a triangle at 12 then that's even better. ;-)
Since then I've added 2 more watches in a similar vein (Time Factors Speedbird III and Smiths PRS-29A) and ended up with a core collection of 5 watches which all give me enormous pleasure. They have a definite common look, but for me at least there are enough differences between them that each has a firm place in my collection. The most expensive cost over 30 times what the cheapest did but for me that's part of the charm of the 5 as a collection, all the price points are covered. Although maybe I need to add something between the Sinn and the Rolex...

Anyone else got a definite vibe to their collection.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a great collection! I especially like the Rolex and the Sinn.

But tell me this, how do you ever wear brown shoes with those watches? ;-)
Oh, I can't afford shoes. ;-)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I suppose there are two common veins in my collection (which will consist of 2 as soon as I get a new camera to take some sales pictures).

Seiko. SKX013 and SARB017.
Utility. Both watches go with nearly anything, depending on the strap. The 013 covers the lower end of the "dressy" spectrum and the 017 the higher end. At least as far as this graduating archaeology student is concerned.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hahaha!

How big is the Speedbird II? 39mm? Surprisingly, it looks to be the largest watch in your collection, which is awesome.
Yes the Speedbird is 39mm. Sinn is 38.5mm and the other three are all 36mm.
I have wrists that wouldn't look out of place on a 10 year old.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I don't really have one..
Well maybe real pilots watches...

cheers,
Jake.

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
I think IWC Mark XVI Pilot may feel that void between Sinn and Rolex.

Terrific Collection.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Excellent collection!

Although the watches have some similarities, they are all unique.

I'm sorta in the same boat as you in that I have five blue-dialed watches (among others). And when I look at my collection, sometimes I think "I've got some redundant pieces". But to your point, my blue watches are all "different enough" to me.

·
Registered
8,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys. Hpark- that IWC is awfully nice...

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Lovely collection. Personally I have yet to appreciate fliegers. LOVE the Sinn 656 (I was seriously going to buy the s a while back; it's still on the list) and the explorer is an absolute beauty but the others are perhaps a bit too simple for me. However I've found that the longer I've spent looking at and discussing watches the more styles and brands I learn to appreciate: I used to just like TAG, then extended that to many other Swiss brands; now I'm just beginning to dig Seiko...so I reckon I'll be all over fliegers in a few months or so :p

Actually I have one of these incoming...does that count as a fleiger?

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I like the look of that Smiths 29A...looks really nice together with the other watches. I like Flieger watches too but got bored with all Fliegers and wanted something with bracelet so bought the Seikos recently. I have a couple spots left in my watchbox after the quartz Tissot PRC200 goes (and I don't wear chronos anymore); i think a Smiths 29A will look good with my current collection.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Anyone else got a definite vibe to their collection.
Yes, mine is color based:

I just upgraded my green to a Bernhardt Sea Shark and want to upgrade my yellow to a Cave Dweller(SS bezel, oh so hard to find) and full lume dial to an O7 LM-1.

Bob

Bob

Reactions: Metlin

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Wow, that is a rather colorful collection!

I must admit, I never thought I'd like the Orange Monster, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the splash of color, especially in summer.

Yes, mine is color based:

I just upgraded my green to a Bernhardt Sea Shark and want to upgrade my yellow to a Cave Dweller(SS bezel, oh so hard to find) and full lume dial to an O7 LM-1.

Bob

Bob

·
Registered
14,861 Posts
After 2 and a bit years of watch addiction during which I've got through 50 or so mostly affordable watches I sat down and looked at the watches I loved the most. These were my Rolex Explorer I, Sinn 656 and CWC G10. What that exercise (and the reverse, thinking about what cause me to flip all the watches I've flipped) made me realise is that I like most are simple, legible pieces that are very well executed. I also realised that if they're smallish, have black dials, Arabic numerals, fixed bezels, unprotected crowns and a triangle at 12 then that's even better. ;-)
Since then I've added 2 more watches in a similar vein (Time Factors Speedbird III and Smiths PRS-29A) and ended up with a core collection of 5 watches which all give me enormous pleasure. They have a definite common look, but for me at least there are enough differences between them that each has a firm place in my collection. The most expensive cost over 30 times what the cheapest did but for me that's part of the charm of the 5 as a collection, all the price points are covered. Although maybe I need to add something between the Sinn and the Rolex...
Must admit, I like the same type of features and looks in my watches. Though I do prefer crown guards.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I like the same thing and will get a Damasko DA 36 again but next time with the black case. I also want to get a stowa handwind flieger.
Pilot watches are my favorite and I have sold Damasko twice and always miss it because its nice to have a watch you don't have to worry about scratching :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
I am also drawn to simple, easily read watches. My favorite 5 would be my 3 stowas, speedbird III and tsar. Just to add a pic.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts