WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was trying to set the time on my chronomat and the crown came unthreaded. now i can't seem to get it started back on. is this something i can fix myself?
thanks!
Paul

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,077 Posts
If I understand you, you have unscrewed the 'screwdown' crown to adjust the time. A perfectly normal thing to do. Once you have set the time push the crown in until it touches the tube and 'screw it down' until its just thumb pressure tight. You haven't broken anything. There is a bit of spring resistance when pushing in the crown so that has to be overcome to engage the crown thread with the tube thread. Firm but gentle gets the job done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SnapIT,
nope--the crown is completely separated from the watch. I can screw it back on (in the way you describe), and if i screw it back off, it separates from the watch completely. The crown has internal threads to attach to the case in the way you describe, and it also has a short post that has some internal threads that presumably connect to a threaded rod internal to the watch that allows you to set the watch. I've lost the ability to set the watch. It is still running though.
thanks!
Paul
chronomat.JPG

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
13,604 Posts
Hi, Paul. Not an uncommon failure but an easy fix by any competent watchmaker with access to Breitling parts. Besides BUSA here in the U.S. there are some other authorized service centers available. Go to Breitling.com to find those facilities. Certainly a good time to have a repair/service performed on the piece. If you're in the U.S., PM me for a referral.
Best,
Ron

·
Registered
185 Posts
pk:

I, personally, at this point, wouldn't try any home remedy, as complications will roll back over you in the form of the bill you will owe BUSA (or your own Breitling Factory Service center, but never your local AD) for repair of any damage you might cause while attempting a correction; at this point my guess is Breitling would treat this as a warranty repair, regardless of the age of the watch (and, based on the loverly Rouleaux, it's a few years old).

Furthermore, a trip to BUSA will guarantee that everything else is in order, and whatever caused the problem does not recur.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts