WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for the software!

I have an old MBP15 with Mac OS Sierra on it. Installation went smooth and look like it works fine. I'm using a mic of my Meizu headset right now and it doesn't seem very reliable. I know my watch is within 20 seconds and TG shows from -80 to +50. I guess I need a better microphone right?

All those cheap contact (guitar) microphones have a 1/4" plug (either male or female) and I'm not sure how to pair it with the MBP. Is some kind of 1/4 to 1/8 adapter sufficient? Please share your setup if you have a MacBook or something similar.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you!

Here's the screenshot. S/D was anywhere from -50 to +80.

Text Line Technology Font Diagram

Another watch, it seems to tick louder.

Text Line Technology Font Slope

And this one is quiet

Text Line Technology Font Pattern

I think the mic in my earphone is "too good" as it picks up what it shouldn't, so TG software struggles to separate the watch beat from ambient sounds. Also I couldn't calibrate TG using a quartz watch, it just doesn't hear it at all. Otherwise it works - guesses the bph

I guess I'll have to find a more quiet place and try again.

Anyways, I've ordered a cheap contact microphone and wonder if it would help?

Guitar Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory Musical instrument Acoustic guitar

·
Registered
121 Posts
@contrate_wheel yes that 18000bph watch is old. I don't have access to any other timegraphers, the only "real" one I've seen was as old as the watch in question (and as it's owner watchmaker probably). It just prints graphs on paper.

I couldn't calibrate the software because I don't have a loud enough quartz watch.

This is the same old watch in a more quiet environment.

flat, face up

Text Line Technology Diagram Font

face down

Text Line Font Technology Parallel

It's running pretty stable both ways, ±5 seconds.

I still don't know how to interpret these graphs and some of the numbers (like lift angle and its relation to that 219deg). I guess I'll have to read through this thread to get an idea.
BTW a brief readme on the UI/params would be great.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Just to answer my own question and to bring up this thread - this setup works just fine. It doesn't need a preamp and that piezo mic seems to be less prone to ambient noise than a regular iPhone headset.

Electronics Electronic device Technology Wire Cable

1. Piezo Clip On Microphone Pickup for Acoustic Guitar (~$4)
2. Mono 1/4" female to 1/8" male adapter (~$1)
3. 3.5mm Male TRRS to 2 Female TRS Audio Connector TRRS Y Splitter Cable Adapter (~$2)
4. Vintage MacBook Pro (already owned).

The vital part is that TRRS adapter as you can't just plug your mono mic (TS) into the headphones jack, it won't work.

Also there's a neat little software called LineIn (free) that allows you to hear what TG hears, just plug your headphones into the second TRRS adapter jack.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts