WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
awesome software contrate_wheel!!!
here it is running on Wine, I hadn't seen this mentioned in the thread. just set the watch right on the mic. works a little better with a towel a hand on the watch. tg can hear the seiko though the case, leaning against the monitor, e.g. 9 up. mic turned all the way up with ambient noise reduction on for the mac (mid-2009).
my dad's GP
Laptop Technology Electronic device Display device Gadget

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you got it!! I could have gotten lucky with the install, but I used https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX to start with. it's probably a pretty cheesy way to run an exe on a mac, but I had tried long ago on ubuntu and didn't get anywhere, so decided to try it. I'll try the correct mac install earlier in this thread at some point, but to me the functionality is seamless. I know you're not supposed to have to with a linux kernel, but i had to reboot a few times before the program would run and not lock up - i assume it was wine's interaction with either the tg or the OS. i just stuck the tg executables and libraries in a desktop folder.

After a whole afternoon installing homewbrew to install wine, to have wine fail at installing tg, I went back to the steps a few pages back and apparently installed tg successfully. Now my quesiton is: where is the program? Nothing in my apps or library folders... anything special to open the program?

Well, I have apparently installed wine, entered command $ open ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files then put all the files in the tg folder in system 32 folder, entered wine tg.exe and here I am with tg opened. Magic. Now to get to work!

EDIT, here's what I was able to get with a 1975 Omega speedmaster:

·
Registered
32 Posts
need to share my experience - not regarding tg (it's awesome), but how i'm using it.
my 007 is gaining time, it went from about +5s a day to about +50s a day over the past couple weeks, and it's magnetized. i can spin a compass dial around with it. i also realize that i'm drawing causation here...
when I use tg with my macbook, i just set the watch on the mic. this is the only thing i can think of that could cause magnetization, i'm also guessing that the computer can generate enough of a field to cause magnetization. the best part is, i've been checking the watch with tg every couple days..... I set the watch on it and let tg listen for about a minute or so to stabilize (it may not really need much time at all). granted, i don't know for sure, it could be from something else but it's my only working theory.

i haven't taken the watch back off, and i really don't want to with this particular watch. i'm hoping that when i use the demagnetizer (it's the blue ebay one and i know it works from using it on screwdrivers, screws, etc.), it will work without taking the movement out. I've read both that demagnetization (hold the watch on the plate, press the button, wait a bit, then draw the watch away slowly) should be done with just one position, and also that you should do it once, turn 90 degrees and repeat. so when i get home, i'm going to demagnetize from one position, then use tg with an external mic and see before/after differences.

has anyone discovered that they're magnetizing their own watch when testing like this?

·
Registered
32 Posts
yes, inside the laptop (is what was in my head..), that's what i meant. i've used the iphone headset in the pas also and it works well, especially with this software.

I would say you probably aren't magnetizing it with the microphone, but rather with the magnetic components inside the laptop. If your Mac has a headset jack that you can plug an iPhone headphone set (the ones with the integrated mic), try that and that will keep you away from the computer itself. I have a non-Mac laptop and I use the iPhone headset mic and it works really quite well. Even with my POS work laptop, I get a good clean signal through the iPhone headset.

EDIT: And I didn't even answer the question...no, I'm not magnetizing my watches by testing them because I keep them away from strong magnetic sources.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm seeing some inconsistency between daily error in what tg is reporting vs. the daily error that the watch is actually doing.
i set my watch on the mic of my mac in all 6 positions and it reports an average of about -20s/d. actually wearing it though, it runs almost +20s/d fast - yes, 40s difference.
I thought maybe tg it was having difficulty hearing the through the case, so i took the back off, but it reports the same.
I really don't think it's the software based on the feedback here and my GP is 5 position adjusted (never touched) and tg shows +1 to +2s/d and this is just about what the watch actually runs. but I'm at a loss determining the difference with this watch.

Has anyone else noticed something like this? I assume this is some sort of user error but i haven't been able to determine what. it seems to just be this watch. it's an 007 with a 7s26c.

·
Registered
32 Posts
thank you! I can see that and it explains why when i first set the watch on the mic, the balance arc seems low (say 250 degrees) and the daily error is fairly low. then after it sits for that minute (it actually stabilizes in probably 15 seconds or less), the arc has increased to say 290 degrees and the error has increased. the change is similar each time i set the watch down in a different position. i can see wearing the watch during the day and constantly moving that the balance would run in a fairly constant state of transition, as you say.

I've slowed the watch quite a bit to make it fit with how i wear it, using tg as a reference that i didn't move the spazzy little lever too far... since if i can see the lever move, it's way too much.

You could have an issue with the balance arcs becoming short in the transitions between positions. If your watch wrist is pretty active then the short/fast arcs in these transitions could be an issue - even if you settle into a good rate once a position is established for a little bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts