WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

201 - 220 of 448 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I have an old MBP15 with Mac OS Sierra on it. Installation went smooth and look like it works fine. I'm using a mic of my Meizu headset right now and it doesn't seem very reliable. I know my watch is within 20 seconds and TG shows from -80 to +50. I guess I need a better microphone right?
Could you share a recording or a (full resolution) screenshot? Like this it's hard to say anything...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just use the ear bud mic and cut off the ear buds. That works really well as they are built to pick up the slightest amplitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thank you!

Here's the screenshot. S/D was anywhere from -50 to +80.

???????? 2016-09-23 16.32.46.png

Another watch, it seems to tick louder.

???????? 2016-09-23 16.35.35.png

And this one is quiet

???????? 2016-09-23 16.38.11.png

I think the mic in my earphone is "too good" as it picks up what it shouldn't, so TG software struggles to separate the watch beat from ambient sounds. Also I couldn't calibrate TG using a quartz watch, it just doesn't hear it at all. Otherwise it works - guesses the bph

I guess I'll have to find a more quiet place and try again.

Anyways, I've ordered a cheap contact microphone and wonder if it would help?

???????? 2016-09-23 16.21.00.png

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Thank you!

Here's the screenshot. S/D was anywhere from -50 to +80.
I think the mic in my earphone is "too good" as it picks up what it shouldn't, so TG software struggles to separate the watch beat from ambient sounds. Also I couldn't calibrate TG using a quartz watch, it just doesn't hear it at all. Otherwise it works - guesses the bph

I guess I'll have to find a more quiet place and try again.

Anyways, I've ordered a cheap contact microphone and wonder if it would help?
I don't have any answers for the variation only to let you know that my watches usually take a while, sometimes 30 seconds or more, to "settle down" from the disruption of changing their orientation to get them and the mic together.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
@jdrichard: Hi, the program we are talking about is here https://github.com/vacaboja/tg. For instructions on how to operate it, for now, you have to read this thread...

@scoff: Thanks for experimenting with my program. As far as I can tell, tg is operating properly in your screenshots. In the first, the watch is probably not keeping a constant rate, so my guess is that the 20s/d that you have measured is actually the long term average of its periodic swings. Being a 18000bph movement, I guess that it might be old... If you know that this is not the case, for instance because you checked the watch on another timegrapher, then I'm definitely interested in a recording of 60s of that watch! In the other two screenshots, tg can not pick up the amplitude (either sound too weak or noise too strong), but the rate should be correct. I see that the calibration is set to 0.0. If uncalibrated, the software still works in every respect, except that the rate will be affected by a constant error. This is because the internal clock of your sound card might be off by a few s/d. All software-based timegraphers have this problem, and there is no escape except calibration against a more stable time source. The calibration procedure is described in this post Open source timing software. - Page 17

·
Registered
121 Posts
@contrate_wheel yes that 18000bph watch is old. I don't have access to any other timegraphers, the only "real" one I've seen was as old as the watch in question (and as it's owner watchmaker probably). It just prints graphs on paper.

I couldn't calibrate the software because I don't have a loud enough quartz watch.

This is the same old watch in a more quiet environment.

flat, face up

???????? 2016-09-26 16.12.44.png

face down

???????? 2016-09-26 15.47.32.png

It's running pretty stable both ways, ±5 seconds.

I still don't know how to interpret these graphs and some of the numbers (like lift angle and its relation to that 219deg). I guess I'll have to read through this thread to get an idea.
BTW a brief readme on the UI/params would be great.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Thank you all for your contributions: I have a fix for the beat error bug. The latest version (0.3.2) should give beat error readings in accordance to most timegraphers, at least when the audio has good quality. If you find that the bug is still there, please report it!

The link to get to the program is, of course, the usual one https://github.com/vacaboja/tg
Direct link to the Windows binaries https://ciovil.li/tg.zip

@scoff: you are right that a manual is needed. It's under way. Even if you don't have conclusive evidence, but you believe that tg is misbehaving, feel free to send me a audio sample: maybe it's just a bug, and I will see what I can do to fix it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tried it and my beat error seems more in line with the timegrapher. Thank you and great job.

It does seem to go to the high BE for periods of time but then it comes back down.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mac users, with the new version of tg (0.4.0) a few things have changed.

We now have versioned releases which will make it much easier to upgrade existing installations.

Everything below assumes that you have already managed to install Homebrew correctly. If you haven't, please see brew.sh

However, if you installed originally using the --HEAD option, you will need to do the following to get on the new versioned train:

Code:
brew update
brew uninstall tg
brew install tg
For new users, everything is simple:

Code:
brew install dmnc/horology/tg
After this, upgrading is easy:

Code:
brew update
brew upgrade tg
Please post here, or on the github repo (https://github.com/dmnc/homebrew-horology) if you have any issues specifically with mac installation.

Lastly, and very important, the executable has been renamed from tg to tg-timer, so to open the application, you now need to run

Code:
tg-timer

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Thanks for this dmnc.

The new version of tg (0.4.0) comes with minor improvements in the handling of the beat error, and major cosmetic changes.
- We have a Microsoft Installer package.
- The old distribution via zipped directory is still available.
- The OS X installer has been improved by dmnc (see post above).
- We have .deb packages for Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc.
- We also have an icon.
tg-timer.png

The new download page is https://tg.ciovil.li, and the old url of tg.zip should now redirect automatically to this page.

The various packages have been tested by me on several platforms (Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 10, Linux Debian, Ubuntu, Mint). If you encounter any malfunction, please report it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mac update worked for me. I did run into some issues but I think I was using the wrong command (update vs upgrade). Anyway it seemed to install correctly and runs just fine now on the new version. Although I don't notice any major cosmetic improvements. It pretty much looks exactly the same as before.

All in all, I love using this thing!

Thanks guys for the updates :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mac update worked for me. I did run into some issues but I think I was using the wrong command (update vs upgrade).
It's really confusing. Update means update the catalogue, so that homebrew knows about the newest version whereas upgrade actually installs it.

Reactions: NEKNIM

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Thanks sincerely Klaus!

I didn't notice that it is one year since this thread has started. Surely, thanks to many who contributed here, my prototype has improved considerably during this time. I'm very happy of this outcome, for which I'm grateful to you all.

@NEKNIM: Sorry, the "major cosmetic improvements" were ironical. I was actually referring to the various packages for Windows and Debian. Despite appearances, these things are quite fiddly to make, especially Microsoft Installer packages.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi DMNC,

Is there a way of creating an icon that calls Terminal and then TG-Timer? It would be nice just to click the icon and away we go!

Thanks

Snake
Mac users, with the new version of tg (0.4.0) a few things have changed.

We now have versioned releases which will make it much easier to upgrade existing installations.

Everything below assumes that you have already managed to install Homebrew correctly. If you haven't, please see brew.sh

However, if you installed originally using the --HEAD option, you will need to do the following to get on the new versioned train:

Code:
brew update
brew uninstall tg
brew install tg
For new users, everything is simple:

Code:
brew install dmnc/horology/tg
After this, upgrading is easy:

Code:
brew update
brew upgrade tg
Please post here, or on the github repo (https://github.com/dmnc/homebrew-horology) if you have any issues specifically with mac installation.

Lastly, and very important, the executable has been renamed from tg to tg-timer, so to open the application, you now need to run

Code:
tg-timer

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hi DMNC,

Is there a way of creating an icon that calls Terminal and then TG-Timer? It would be nice just to click the icon and away we go!

Thanks

Snake
I've had a bit of a go but not with great success so far.

I agree, it would be a nice improvement but creating a gtk Mac app has proved pretty tricky, although it might be easier if tg is upgraded to gtk3 (something I believe contrate_wheel has considered).

I will try again when I get the chance but would also welcome any help if anybody here has experience of this?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #220
Hi!

Unfortunately homebrew seems to take a rather console-centric approach. As a workaround you might consider the Automator component of OS X. I have not used OS X for several years now, but the first answer here How to put a custom launcher in the Dock (Mavericks) might just be what you are looking for...

201 - 220 of 448 Posts