WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 450 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I see you mentioned alsa, so I assume you're running some version of Linux. I've gotten a bit lost with the march of progress in linux sound systems over the years, but my recent installations seem to be running pulseaudio by default. Any chance you're running pulse? It seems to like to clone interfaces on the fly when a new program is started, so identifying the sound device can be tricky. The best trick I've found so far is to launch pavucontrol. When you launch tg, you should see a new recording device created. If everything is set up right with the audio levels, you should be able to see the ticks as bounces in the volume bar on that device.
nope, OpenSuse Tumbleweed doesn't install any of the pulse audio cruft. pure alsa. although it may be easier to use the pulseaudio gui's to configure which device is doing what.

Also, sometimes the mic positioning can be a bit ticky. Try moving it around the watch. I think some people have even reported success with the mic right on the crown.
oh yes. although w/ a clip-on mic the positions are a bit limited, i've tried both the case back and front and 360* around. sometimes i can get TG on linux to start picking up a signal. not as much success w/ TG on Windows. no clue why.

haven't had much time to continue to play w/ this. i was able to regulate the NH35 using the integrated mic from an average of -14.8s/d to +2.2s/d. this movement is VERY position sensitive, so i chose to aim for -2s/d in the 6up and 3up and let the dial up +13s/d help overnight to keep a good "worn" average.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would like to thank the developer for the lovely software. I tried it with small 27mm piezo sensor (Clip on guitar sensors will be ok as well) and Kemo M040N preamp with 9v battery and I only could say WOW.

·
Registered
539 Posts
nope, OpenSuse Tumbleweed doesn't install any of the pulse audio cruft. pure alsa. although it may be easier to use the pulseaudio gui's to configure which device is doing what.
I agree, alsa is much cleaner, even if it doesn't have the pretty configuration gui's.

I had to look up how to change the default sound card in alsa:

linux - How to make Alsa pick a preferred sound device automatically? - Super User

short version:

find the card name,

Code:
and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

pcm.!default {     
   type hw     
   card 1 
<closebrace>

ctl.!default { 
    type hw 
    card 1 
<closebrace>
[I can't figure out how to keep this site from mapping my closing braces to something else, replace <closebrace> with the single character closing brace]

·
Registered
14 Posts
First my compliments on the TG software, it ran straight off the files on a Win7 Thinkpad. I've been having fun for a few days now, with no pick up problems using the onboard mic. I learnt a very long time ago that the less you put in the audio path the better.
For what my tuppence is worth...

Gridiron

·
Registered
6 Posts
First my compliments on the TG software, it ran straight off the files on a Win7 Thinkpad. I've been having fun for a few days now, with no pick up problems using the onboard mic. I learnt a very long time ago that the less you put in the audio path the better.
For what my tuppence is worth...

Gridiron
actually, it does run decently with the onboard mic. bu t with two small children running around, it can be a challenge to eliminate background noise! i'm also looking for a better solution than holding my watch against the screen with a rubber band so i can check it in multiple positions.

at this point, i'm satisified with this 80% solution. i'll still probably cobble together some parts to build up a pre-amp, but not anytime soon, for the 100% solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree, alsa is much cleaner, even if it doesn't have the pretty configuration gui's.

I had to look up how to change the default sound card in alsa:

linux - How to make Alsa pick a preferred sound device automatically? - Super User

short version:

find the card name,

Code:
and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

pcm.!default {     
   type hw     
   card 1 
<closebrace>

ctl.!default { 
    type hw 
    card 1 
<closebrace>
[I can't figure out how to keep this site from mapping my closing braces to something else, replace <closebrace> with the single character closing brace]
i did use this config to set the default to my usb device. thanks for posting this for others that might be in the same boat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@jht3, to get rid of the holding problem and eliminate most of the background noise I started with a tiny dod of blutack over one micro and a thin donut on the back, (or the crystal), of the watch to stick it over the the other microphone. Then all I need to do then is rotate my laptop for the positions and take up yoga to see the screen. Traffic and neighbour noises are no longer disturbing. Try it!
Grid.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is there anything I need to do to get tg to give me a consistent reading? It keeps changing from between -5 to -30 and it's making regulating a pain. I'm using one of those clip on guitar mics and a usb sound card.

Is there a way to get it to display the AVERAGE reading over 30 seconds instead of constantly fluctuating?

·
Registered
14 Posts
NeoSoul2084, Have a look at the graph on the left side of the display. Is it 'porpoising' (rhythmic changes, repeatedly) ? Do you have a steady 4 green bars for signal strength without interruptions? The bottom graphic should only show beat noises and no noise or spiky bits in between. Can you do a screenshot?

I'm asking because apart from background noise, mains hum, magnetic fields from cables etc will all affect what is being fed into the software.

Grid

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi chaps,
I'm trying to get TG working but I just find one problem after other, and don't really know where to head now.

When I had Windows, I managed to get inconsistent signal on TG. I tried to regulate my watch, using a piezo mic, but the signal was so inconsistent that it was impossible.
I tried some external USB sondcard, but didn't work.
I think didn't work, because the signal from the piezo mic, is pretty small, and needs amplification. And the sound card I used, didn't amplified.

Now I got Linux, is worst. I don't even get a weak signal, now TG is completely dead.
When I connect a normal mic on my Laptop, (and don't use TG) ... I get a normal signal on Pulseaudio and Audacity. However, normal mic on TG, not signal at all, completely dead. Because I am new in Linux, I don't know if I could increase the mic's gain. If this is not possible, I don't want to waste more time with this, and try something else.

If I can not increase the mic gain on my Linux, then I was thinking to try one of these: USB guitar interface. The problem is it doesn't seem to work on Linux (only on Windows, or Mc)... so a new problem o|.

If the USB interface does not work,... well ... the only thing I can think of is to use a proper mic preamp. This must work. But must be some DIY job to connect to the PC, (and, I don't know about electronics) .
I just have one mechanical watch, and under normal circumstances we only need to regulate a watch once. So to buy a preamp; and the DIY just to one off, ... don't know if its worth it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #273
Hi my friend,

since you say that Audacity is working for you, please record about one minute of sound from your favorite watch, at a reasonable gain setting, and send it to me, or even better post it here. With it I will try to diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm thinking of porting this to Arduino to create an open source design for the hardware. It would be similar to the Weishi Timegrapher. Does anyone want to join in on development?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi chaps,
I'm trying to get TG working but I just find one problem after other, and don't really know where to head now.

When I had Windows, I managed to get inconsistent signal on TG. I tried to regulate my watch, using a piezo mic, but the signal was so inconsistent that it was impossible.
I tried some external USB sondcard, but didn't work.
I think didn't work, because the signal from the piezo mic, is pretty small, and needs amplification. And the sound card I used, didn't amplified.

Now I got Linux, is worst. I don't even get a weak signal, now TG is completely dead.
When I connect a normal mic on my Laptop, (and don't use TG) ... I get a normal signal on Pulseaudio and Audacity. However, normal mic on TG, not signal at all, completely dead. Because I am new in Linux, I don't know if I could increase the mic's gain. If this is not possible, I don't want to waste more time with this, and try something else.

If I can not increase the mic gain on my Linux, then I was thinking to try one of these: USB guitar interface. The problem is it doesn't seem to work on Linux (only on Windows, or Mc)... so a new problem o|.

If the USB interface does not work,... well ... the only thing I can think of is to use a proper mic preamp. This must work. But must be some DIY job to connect to the PC, (and, I don't know about electronics) .
I just have one mechanical watch, and under normal circumstances we only need to regulate a watch once. So to buy a preamp; and the DIY just to one off, ... don't know if its worth it.
The software, including calibration, has always worked very well for me on Windoze.
However, I have had a Dickens trying to get a mic to work.
I've started up a thread on mic only and the suggestions have been pre amps etc. I didn't want to go to that complexity yet.
However, on a windows notebook the inbuilt mic worked very well.
I have also found that web cam mics are also pretty good at filtering noise and when I plugged one in to the USB on my desktop I got a good stable scan.

I have found that any extraneous noise really hurts the signal. I know it's dumb but I was showing my brother how tg worked and we were talking softly in the background and that totally wrecked the signal.
For those that are ready to write "Well what did you expect!" the answer is I didn't think about it until I had a problem. Doh!

HTH

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
I'm thinking of porting this to Arduino to create an open source design for the hardware. It would be similar to the Weishi Timegrapher. Does anyone want to join in on development?
I have recently bought an Arduino Uno but I'm a complete noob.
Willing to do things that are within my capability but I'm expecting that this is going to involve reading an analog signal so therefore there has to be an external mic and probably amp.
Would it not be more productive to just produce a great mic/preamp and use the standard tg?
At least I'd suggest an external mic would be the starting point and when that works then port to Arduino?

·
Registered
14 Posts
These are amplifier and guitar pickup microphone clip on. You can get the good signal from them.
Amplifier: Linep
Guitar pickup microphone clip on: Cherub or Korg
mic.JPG

·
Registered
54 Posts
Linux Mint has an excellent sound utility that lets you select the default audio input device and adjust the amplification level. If you don't know where to find it, just try searching for the "sound" application. For other distros: Google is your friend. Apart from that, there are numerous USB sound cards under $10, with separate mic. inputs, compatible with Linux - no special device driver installation required. I recently got one from Sabrent that would fit the bill.

Reactions: FireMonk3y

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have recently bought an Arduino Uno but I'm a complete noob.
Willing to do things that are within my capability but I'm expecting that this is going to involve reading an analog signal so therefore there has to be an external mic and probably amp.
Would it not be more productive to just produce a great mic/preamp and use the standard tg?
At least I'd suggest an external mic would be the starting point and when that works then port to Arduino?
This project isn't about just getting it working. I'd like to expand upon it and use the real time processing benefits that a microcontroller brings to the table. Getting tg to work with a mic isn't difficult. A piezo actuator with some vibration isolation is sufficient. You can add an EQ (or a tuned band pass filter) in line to isolate the sound even better.

In your case, it would be much more productive to use a good mic and tg on a PC. Porting to Arduino will take a bit of doing... Tg's algorithms should be easy to port - they're already in C - but there's no input sound processing or display output there.

I'd also like to put in a lift angle input for an amplitude calculator, which I don't know the equations for. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out though.

I think using a microcontroller will make it easier to pick out the five shock event sounds and actually calculate beat error, rather than just +/- s/day, but that will all come later after I get the basic version working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #280
@scholzie.

Building an arduino-based timegrapher is surely going to be fun and good experience for you. For what I can, I will do my best to contribute my two cents if you have any questions.

Porting tg to arduino is probably not going to work. Virtually all software timegraphers except tg use the same simple approach of detecting a sound when a certain threshold is exceeded. Tg, on the other hand, was designed as an experiment around a different method. As you will see from tg's cpu usage, it is far too hungry of computational horsepower to work on a microcontroller. On such a small machine, the traditional approach would be probably a better choice. (Or maybe you can set up some sort of phase locked loop to detect the period and work from there...)

Remember that real time capability is not a plus to make a timegrapher. A sound signal is just a sequence of samples: if you process them instantly, after one second, or after an hour, the information contained in them is not going to change. Real time will be a plus, however, if you want to add some fancy gadget to it, for instance a stroboscopic light.

A possible caveat: before even beginning, I would suggest to test the accuracy and stability of arduino's clock (not the rtc, the one that governs the sampling frequency of your adc). If the clock turns out to be bad, there is little one can do.

261 - 280 of 450 Posts