WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok, so I can't post links... I will give the title of the relevant articles to search on google.

Thank you very much for this wonderful programm, contrate_wheel, this is how I got it working on OSX:

• Install xcode command line tools (this is the compiler, you can find the instructions ont this article : How to Install Command Line Tools in OS X Mavericks & Yosemite (Without Xcode) (OSX daily)
  • Install Homebrew (this is the modern equivalent of fink) : brew(dot)sh
  • Type in your terminal : brew install gtk+ portaudio fftw
  • Time to compile tg, and here things get a little complicated :
    • You can download the version I compiled using the following link (dropbox(dot)com/s/bqefi53fyxhl6bz/tg-master.zip?dl=0). You can use it by clicking on the tg executable. Your mac will probably complain that the executable come from an unknown source (the solution is here : OS X Mavericks: Open an app from an unidentified developer (apple)).
    • Alternatively, you can download the latest source version and compile it. But this will result in an error and contrat_wheel help is needed : the OSX compiler treat any flag he doesn't know as error and abord the make process. Turn out he doesn't know the flag "-fcx-limited-range" and I was only able to compile the programm after removing this flag for the makefile. I don't know what this flag mean, but the programm seems to run fine without it. Can you remove it, or deactivate it somehow when compiling on OSX ?

For a primer on how to use the Terminal :
Introduction to the Mac OS X Command Line (teamthreehouse)

·
Registered
56 Posts
looking good. just need to have the microphone/amplifer opensourced and we are all gonna be happy.

If your looking for ideas, heres some suggestions

1. export/import to file so you can share it with someone
2. export to report file (pdf/jpg) so you can store it with the watch in your records
3. as someone has said, needs instructions or a what is this saying section for noobs like myself

Thanks so much for your time on this already

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@Baillive

Thanks a lot! The flag -fcx-limited-range enables an optimazation on complex division: it has completely no impact, not even on performance. So I removed it. Actually I don't even remember why it was there, probably left over from some previous version of the algorithm. It's great that you managed to compile on OS X! As soon as I'm satisfied with this testing phase, if you agree, I will ask your help to make a mac binary to distribute. Maybe you could not post links because that was your first post? Some sort of anti-spam countermeasure? It seems strange because I am sure that I posted links on my first post.

@Diveboy

Thanks. There are many schematics for microphones and ampifiers on the internet, and also on this very forum, I believe. However, my program has been designed to work with bad microphones, at least a little, and, in fact, it is the first program out there made specifically for this goal, as far as I know. The idea of using a clip-on guitar pickup suggested by Klaus in this thread sounds very very good to me. Unfortunately I didn't have time to experiment with that, but I most probably will. There is even the possibility that it might work without the amplifier: Klaus, did you try?

Now I am debugging (thanks to Ocram for a lot of support and some pretty good testing) and working to add an amplitude display. The import and export to file is definitely a good idea, actually I had this capability in place in a much older version of the program, but I removed it because it became messy to maintain. To analyze a sound file, if you want a workaround, you can just redirect digitally the sound output of your system to a virtual input device, set this as default input, and play the sound file with just any player. This is how I test the program on known samples. On linux/pulseaudio, this can be done in just a couple of clicks using pavucontrol. There must be a way to do it on Windows as well, but I don't know it.

A couple of pages of manual will definitely come as soon as we are at version 1.0. At least if there is enough interest.

·
Registered
29 Posts
This looks great! Looking forward to future development.

I'm also on OS X, and can confirm it working on OS X 10.11 El Capitan.

The instructions posted above by Baillive does work, but note that you have to first install the required libraries via Brew before you can run the pre-compiled app. If we want a full stand-alone OS X app, it needs packaging together with GTK+ etc.

Some feedback on the amplitude discussion: I think it should be displayed like most other Timegraphers do. Check the Witschi technical paper. Their description of the amplitude makes it seem that they only measure the tic OR the toc pulses. I.e. the 1st and 3rd pulse OR 2nd and 4th. It's not entirely clear if the value they display is the average, but it does look like that. They also display the standard deviation, which is a nice extra.

BTW: If the amplitude measurements are different between tics/tocs that would mean the watch is out of beat, right?

·
Registered
485 Posts
looking good. just need to have the microphone/amplifer opensourced and we are all gonna be happy.
A contact mic is not too hard to make, just scavenged one together out of junk yesterday with a piezo disc and an old pair of headphones, but the preamp is a bit trickier. I've ordered some components last night to try and make one, and if I get it working I'll see if I can put together some pictures and instructions etc. to post here for everyone else.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Several people have mentioned microphones and amplifiers; There's another DIY Timegrapher software that has instructions for constructing both a mic and amp. Website here.

(The drawback with that software is that it's Windows only, so I have never tried it out myself.)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
@consum3r
- Linux: yes, I developed on Debian Jessie. Should compile under any common distro. You need gtk+2, portaudio, and fftw3 (on Debian or Ubuntu you need to install the -dev version of these libraries, don't know other distros).

@Halda
- Yes, a statically linked OS X binary would be better. To make one, it might be enough to modity the Makefile adding -static to the LDFLAGS and also --static to the pkg-config command in there.
- Out of beat means that the beat error is (significantly) different from zero. An asymmetry in the tic's and the toc's waveforms is something different. How to interpret it, in a horological sense, was already asked by Klaus and by me. I am no watchmaker, so I don't know, and unfortunately no one answered.
- Watch-O-Scope is a very nice commercial program, it comes for free in restricted form for non commercial use, and its author is also a member of this forum. It's much superior to biburo, in my personal opinion, which is also for free proprietary software. Another very complete program is Watch Escapement Analyzer, unfortunately the interactive version comes at a fee. All of these programs take a similar approach (as far as I can tell) and the algorithm of tg is radically different. I had fun comparing them together and with tg.

I hope to find the time to put out a tentative amplitude display this weekend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
had a play tonight for a little. This is using a piezo as a microphone

Elgin Grade 760

and this is a Elgin Grade 69 first run from 1867

it had trouble with a high beat movement, kept jumping between 18,000 and 36,000.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
it had trouble with a high beat movement, kept jumping between 18,000 and 36,000.
Thanks! You have hit a known bug, that was already fixed, hopefully. However, my fault, I forgot to make a new Windows binary. May I ask you to re-download (you will recognize the latest version by "tg 0.1.0" in the upper left corner), repeat the experiment once more, and tell me the result?

Clearly you understood that the beat error 3.6ms for your Elgin Grade 760 is spurious. I guess that tg actually displayed a value close to zero, the correct one, most of the time, and it jumped to 3.6 occasionally. This happens because, as you can see, the waveforms of the tic and the toc are very different from eachother, and this fact confuses tg quite a bit. It would help me a lot if you could send me a 30 seconds recording of your watch...

The Elgin Grade 69 looks great! Is the lift angle of this movement really 52?

Thanks again for your contribution!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Feature requests

1. "Reset" button, I found when swapping watches I was just closing it and launching it again.

The Elgin Grade 760 hasn't been serviced, so I expect it to be "random" and didn't read too much into it.

The Elgin grade 69 has been serviced by an expert and you can clearly see the results. I'll confirm the lift angle with said expert and redo the testing if it's different.

I'll download again and test in the next 48 hours.

Thanks again

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
two feature requests

1. "Reset" button, I found when swapping watches I was just closing it and launching it again.
2. Version number in Title - will confirm what version is being ran.

The Elgin Grade 760 hasn't been serviced, so I expect it to be "random" and didn't read too much into it.

The Elgin grade 69 has been serviced by an expert and you can clearly see the results. I'll confirm the lift angle with said expert and redo the testing if it's different.

I'll download again and test in the next 48 hours.

Thanks again
Great, thanks to you!

Feature 1. Perhaps you are referring to the fact that the animation stops when a watch is not detected any more. This is just to allow close examination of the trace. As soon as a watch is detected again, tg should resume its normal function automatically. Can you confirm?
Feature 2. Just did :) Starting from the latest version it's on the top left of the window, before there was no version number at all...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great, thanks to you!

Feature 1. Perhaps you are referring to the fact that the animation stops when a watch is not detected any more. This is just to allow close examination of the trace. As soon as a watch is detected again, tg should resume its normal function automatically. Can you confirm?
Feature 2. Just did :) Starting from the latest version it's on the top left of the window, before there was no version number at all...
it does resume but I like a clean slate for a new test, IE if I change watch or change watch position, then by resetting the display, I know when it started testing, I don't have to remember at what point I changed something.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
it does resume but I like a clean slate for a new test, IE if I change watch or change watch position, then by resetting the display, I know when it started testing, I don't have to remember at what point I changed something.
I see, basically a "clear trace" button. That's a good idea, and it's also very easy to add. I will certainly do it in the version with the amplitude!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Nuntio vobis gaudium magnum: habemus amplitudinem!

Well, just a little update to tell you that I have a tentative amplitude algorithm that should be more or less stable if the audio is good. The download link is the same
http://ciovil.li/tg.zip
and the source code is here
https://github.com/vacaboja/tg

Thanks to all those that contributed so far, and in particular to Baillive, Diveboy, Klaus, and Ocram.

Testing is dearly needed and comments of all sorts are deeply appreciated!

Here is the obbligatory screenshot of tg 0.2.0 running on a fine sample provided by Klaus.

screenshot.png

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great !

I tried to compile on OSX, but the executable crash at launch because he's not able to find the font, even if they are in the same folder. The result was the same when I installed the font on the system.

I tried a few things, but I was not able to find a workaround. Maybe the solution is to use relative path ? Or maybe the system for selecting a font is fundamentally different on OSX.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was going to do a small UI suggestion and ask for the data fields in the same order as real machines, but when checking I realized they are not all the same.

The original red Witschi Watch Expert had the fields as: RATE - BEAT ERROR - AMPLITUDE (and bph & lift angle at the bottom)

Witschi Watch Expert III has: RATE - AMPLITUDE - BEAT ERROR (and at the bottom CALIBER PARAMETERS, with bph & lift angle)

The Chinese Timegraphers are: RATE - AMPLITUDE - BEAT ERROR - PARAMETERS (bph / lift angle)

I guess the common order is to have the amplitude before the beat error, so maybe those could be switched around. Perhaps the bph reading could be moved out to after the bph setting above, since it's not something that will change.

21 - 40 of 451 Posts