WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
481 - 500 of 674 Posts
Los resultados numéricos no lo creo. Los resultados gráficos del emulador de tiras de papel de sucesión de puntos mejorarán muy poco. Por las fotografías que vi, está midiendo un reloj fabricado en China, que aunque es bastante bueno, no será como un reloj suizo.
En el preamplificador si es necesario. Yo uso una marca Pyle. 444. Solo lo modifiqué un poco, quitando algunos condensadores.

I am sorry I must translate, English is not my mother tongue.
The numerical results do not think so. The graphical results of the dot succession paper strip emulator will improve very little. From the photographs I saw, he is measuring a watch made in China, which although it is quite good, it will not be like a Swiss watch.
On the preamplifier if necessary. I use a Pyle brand. 444. I only modified it a little bit, removing some capacitors.

I wonder if you may find this suitable ie an acoustic guitar pre-amp, I've used it for picking up tuning fork signals. A number of variants are available, this is just an example 4-Band EQ Equalizer Piezo Pickup Pre-Amp Acoustic Guitar Amplifier Tuner M2Y5 605757113234 | eBay They have an EQ that can help zoning in on the signal of interest. A wide range of low cost versions are available on all the usual outlets.

All the best - Tom

I wonder if you may find this suitable ie an acoustic guitar pre-amp, I've used it for picking up tuning fork signals. A number of variants are available, this is just an example 4-Band EQ Equalizer Piezo Pickup Pre-Amp Acoustic Guitar Amplifier Tuner M2Y5 605757113234 | eBay They have an EQ that can help zoning in on the signal of interest. A wide range of low cost versions are available on all the usual outlets.

All the best - Tom
I think it can work. The equalizer would be a great help. What is difficult for me to understand is how to make the weak acoustic signal of the clock be captured by the device?

I think it can work. The equalizer would be a great help. What is difficult for me to understand is how to make the weak acoustic signal of the clock be captured by the device?
Hi Guido - it has an input that can be wired with the piezo microphone 'strip' that it comes with - this could be just glued to the device that holds the watch or simply plug a microphone that you usually use into the same socket. Both may work okay. I mounted this into a plastic box and added an input for a dc supply to replace the battery (as I'm doing tests that last weeks and months!). This video shows it in use during a test . Piezo transducers are very low power so the amplifier has a significant gain. It's fairly cheap so maybe worth a play with to see if it works for you.

All the best - Tom

With the help of @tpiepho @24h and others, I have made a compilation that allows evaluating clocks with a beat equal to or greater than 7560 BPH. Other settings also allow the Lift Angle value to be lowered to 0 (zero), which is unnecessary for pendulum clocks. The download link is here. Suggestions would be appreciated.
https://reparacionderelojes.weebly.com/uploads/1/2/2/1/12213567/tg-timer.exe
View attachment 15762400
Can you add the source code for the files you modified?

Here is a pattern generated by a 28800bph square wave tone generator.
Using sound generated by the same computer audio device running tg is a meaningless comparison. Any error in the audio rate for recording will be matched by an equal error in playback. It will always appear as perfect, even if it is not.

@qyburn, your first picture looks like the signal is too quiet, and so the gain is up very high, which shows the noise between the ticks. Ideally it should be a straight line with no noise between each pixel.

I am using the Google USB-C earbuds that came with my phone, but plugged into my computer. It works best with the control pod, which contains the microphone, resting on the movement or movement holder in some way, rather than just being near the movement.

Example from Bulova 5AR movement in holder.

Seiko 5626 in case with bracelet and watch sitting on top of microphone:

@qyburn, your first picture looks like the signal is too quiet, and so the gain is up very high, which shows the noise between the ticks. Ideally it should be a straight line with no noise between each pixel.
Thanks. I think that's correct, the signal is very low. I notice for example that tapping the desk causes a blip in the trace, even though the watch/microphone is on the window sill and the PC is on the floor. I'm going to look at making a peizo pickup and pre amp of some sort for next time.

However at the moment what I'm getting is good enough. The watch is a cheap Chinese one and with a bit of fiddling it's giving me +2 seconds per day. TG shows that the rates are all over the place between different positions, all running fast except Crown Right which runs slow.

Updated TG with new features available for those who can build it.

contrate_wheel hasn't responded to activity on github for almost a year, so I've put together a version with all my work that's finished.

It's available as source on github, and if one is using Fedora there are binary packages on COPR. Building from source is quite trivial on Linux and MacOS and there are instructions in the README.

New features:
  • BPH values down to 8100 will work.
  • Significant performance improvement. Should be over twice as fast now.
  • Alternate layout with horizontal paperstrip can be toggled, allowing for a larger paperstrip with a greater length of displayed time.
  • Free zoom on the paperstrip beat scale. Instead of being fixed at a tenth of a beat, it can freely zoom from one beat to one hundredth of a beat.
  • Division between paperstrip and waveforms can be dragged to make one or the other larger.
  • Audio device setup dialog that allows choosing input device and audio sample rate.
  • High-pass filter cutoff frequency can be adjusted.
  • A few bug fixes and internal improvements.
Some screen shots.

Paperstrip made wider, notice zoom changed to 8.2 ms instead of 20 ms.

Horizontal layout.

Audio setup dialog:

I have also made an experimental branch where I added a Python interpreter into tg, so that Python scripts can be run inside and, access audio and timing date, and generate graphics.

As an initial use of these features, I added a simple graph of the high pass audio filter's effect. And the ability to get time and frequency reassigned spectrograms of the audio data.

The graph here will update as the slider is moved to adjust the HPF. I was curious how the group delay of the filter would affect timing.

The spectrogram of the last single beat detected. The white line shows the point tg detects as the beat (0 on waveform displays) and the blue where it's measuring amplitude from.

A spectrogram of the last second of audio. Detected beats are marked. The two clicks at the end are the mouse button press and release from clicking to make the graph.

However when trying to use one of the new functions, at least on my desktop computer, this error occurred.
I do not even need to translate that from Spanish to know what it says, "problem." But nothing more than that, it is as useless as, "my watch doesn't work." Linux and MacOS can automatically make crash dumps with backtraces with real information. I do not know how to do that on Windows. I suggest reporting an issue on my github and maybe a more technical Windows user will be able to investigate.

Very grateful to the available version. I am a Windows user, and it presents this problem that is quite obvious and yet so far I could see it. The inclination of the dotted line is in the opposite direction. Could you help with the solution of the problem? Thanks.

View attachment 15871543
Very grateful to the available version. I am a Windows user, and it presents this problem that is quite obvious and yet so far I could see it. The inclination of the dotted line is in the opposite direction. Could you help with the solution of the problem? Thanks.
In your previous post the rate was +10 s/day, and the lines sloped downwards, in your most recent post the rate is -11s/day, and the slope goes the other direction. Seems correct to me.

481 - 500 of 674 Posts