WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
501 - 520 of 526 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I changed the direction the line slopes. It seem more natural to me that time should progress from left to right, so if the watch runs slow, the beats arrive later than they should, and so they move to the right.

I also checked what a Witschi machine did and it slopes the same way.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I changed the direction
I think it is due to habit. Most timing machines that present the "paper strip" horizontally, if the line goes up, it represents lead. and if it goes down, delay. However, if the presentation is vertical, the classic models if the line rotates clockwise it is an advance and if it rotates counterclockwise it is retarded.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi friends,
Greetings. I share this screenshot here. I wish you are well, coping with this pandemic that has already taken a long time for us, and we do not know when it will end.
It corresponds to my recent job. Rolex Oyster Cal 1225 watch repair. Ref. 6426.
Thanking the creator of the "tg" program for the valuable tool that he has shared with us.
Light Rectangle Black Slope Font

The results of the repair can be seen in the graph provided by tg

The watch's winding was broken. And got a new (NOS) New old stock. The part had probably been there for 40 years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone know why I am not seeing the Amplitude? This is on an NH35 movement. My wife's TAG Calibre 5 showed amplitude with no problem.
Also what does the circled Red or Green check mark indicate?
And the green dots meaning?
The SPD is bouncing all over the place. Is it closer to the correct reading when there are more green dots?
Colorfulness Rectangle Slope Font Parallel
Light Rectangle Slope Font Screenshot

·
Registered
53 Posts
Let's give some explanations:
1.- probably the solid steel case of your Seiko silences the sound and the signal is very bad. The problem has difficulty finding the signal properly to discern the amplitude. Which is more critical than rate measurement. Conclusion the signal or sound is very weak.

About what it indicates on the left side, above. A figure of a clock appears in red marking 7:20 it is a sad face. :( It indicates a bad signal, and almost impossible to read.
The figure of the clock showing 10:10 is a happy face :) and indicates a more acceptable signal. And the series of four points "squares to the right of the face, is the quality of the signal, and therefore the security of the reading. When it has 4 points it indicates an optimal signal. But I have a question. I don't know what you mean by SPD, forgive my ignorance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Let's give some explanations:
1.- probably the solid steel case of your Seiko silences the sound and the signal is very bad. The problem has difficulty finding the signal properly to discern the amplitude. Which is more critical than rate measurement. Conclusion the signal or sound is very weak.

About what it indicates on the left side, above. A figure of a clock appears in red marking 7:20 it is a sad face. :( It indicates a bad signal, and almost impossible to read.
The figure of the clock showing 10:10 is a happy face :) and indicates a more acceptable signal. And the series of four points "squares to the right of the face, is the quality of the signal, and therefore the security of the reading. When it has 4 points it indicates an optimal signal. But I have a question. I don't know what you mean by SPD, forgive my ignorance.
Thank you for the explanation. SPD sorry I mean s/d.
I think a better microphone would improve the signal. Just using an iphone mic. Do you have another recommendation for a cheap alternative microphone?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you for the explanation. SPD sorry I mean s/d.
I think a better microphone would improve the signal. Just using an iphone mic. Do you have another recommendation for a cheap alternative microphone?
I could get good results with Iphone Mic, it is not only about Mic, but also:
-pickup of sound:
-Mic close to watch, even stuck to the case with tape​
-Case opened or not​
-Thin case or thick case​
-Parameters of amplifier
-on some computers You may adjust the gain​
-Noise cancellation on or off may improve the signal​
-External noise: You have to reduce it, at least put some foam underneath the watch in order to insulate from bench, windows closed, so on
-Electric Noise: the Mic cable may pickup electromagnetic noise from environment, put electric appliances away from Mic cable, such as lamps, transformers, etc...

Others used a guitar pickup, piezo disc with amplifier, some are cheap

·
Registered
20 Posts
I could get good results with Iphone Mic, it is not only about Mic, but also:
-pickup of sound:
-Mic close to watch, even stuck to the case with tape​
-Case opened or not​
-Thin case or thick case​
-Parameters of amplifier
-on some computers You may adjust the gain​
-Noise cancellation on or off may improve the signal​
-External noise: You have to reduce it, at least put some foam underneath the watch in order to insulate from bench, windows closed, so on
-Electric Noise: the Mic cable may pickup electromagnetic noise from environment, put electric appliances away from Mic cable, such as lamps, transformers, etc...

Others used a guitar pickup, piezo disc with amplifier, some are cheap
Okay I've got it. Taped the mic to the back and covered with microfiber towels and got an excellent signal. Thank you.
Computer keyboard Input device Glove Safety glove Peripheral

I am seeing a wide range of readings and not quite sure how to interpret. Note the wide range of beat error and amplitude.
Light Black Rectangle Azure Slope

Light Product Rectangle Black Azure

Light Product Rectangle Black Slope

·
Registered
9 Posts
Okay I've got it. Taped the mic to the back and covered with microfiber towels and got an excellent signal. Thank you.

I am seeing a wide range of readings and not quite sure how to interpret. Note the wide range of beat error and amplitude.
It is still a bit noisy, but very good given the conditions.
I would keep the 2 first reading that have close numbers and reject the third one.
Detection of unlock sound is displayed by the blue vertical line on Tic and Toc graphs, in the third screen shot, it seems that noise was detected as third sound, giving the blue line at -13 ms. This gave lower amplitude.
You'll find usefull guidelines in Witschi manual, google for it

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see good results. much better than the first thanks to @PetitLuc suggestion.
In my opinion you do need a more efficient microphone stage and a preamp stage to get better results. As stated, everything has a price. Or as another saying goes, "if you want something you've never had you will have to do something you've never done.
1.- The microphone can be replaced by an electric guitar clip. The microphone can be replaced by an electric guitar clip. Just remove the rubber insulation on the caliper.
2.- The preamplifier one of 20 dollars. as is, if you wish. Or if you want something better, make some modifications.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The graph shows that the program is practically working miracles to get the signal. In other words, the capture on the microphone is very low. i got the idea to use uhu tac. Make a "donut", and stick it to the watch and right to the hole of the microphone. That would isolate the noise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I put the watch between 2 pillows and this is one example of the results
View attachment 16045685
This is not very good audio. TG will apply automatic gain to the signal, so you will not see the pulses get smaller or larger even if they are louder or quieter. But this gain makes everything louder, not just the beats but also the noise. So look at the signal line between the two beats and see the many small pulses, this is background noise which has been amplified and is not that much smaller than the actual beats. Ideally you should have a flat line between beats. But the problem is not that you have too much noise, but that your signal is too weak.

Try setting up a monitor that lets you listen to the microphone with some decent headphones. One can tell easily what manner of attaching the microphone is better for picking up the sound. I have found with earbud phone microphone that:
  • It is good to have the microphone touch the movement, not just be near it.
  • Which side and what location of microphone pod touches the movement makes a significant difference.
  • Holding the microphone rigidly is not good. Just resting against movement is better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Also what does the circled Red or Green check mark indicate?
And the green dots meaning?
Happy green watch vs frowning red watch indicate if a beat has been synced too. The green dots relate vaguely to signal quality, but really I think that is fake, meant to placate those who do not understand what a timegrapher does or how it does it, with a simple "you have four dots!" picture.

The reality is that the dots are the averaging interval. Tg will attempt to find a consistent beat signal throughout the last 2, 4, 8, and 16 seconds. This is the 1-4 dots. For example, if there are consistent beat sounds detected for the last 8 seconds, but when looking at the last 16 seconds there is now a gap included with no recognizable beat, you would get 3 dots. And your s/d and amplitude measurement would reflect the average of the beats from the last 8 seconds. If not even 2 seconds worth is detected, then you get the red watch and no dots. But also, if amplitude can not be detected, then a 16 second interval will get 3 dots instead of 4.

I changed that last bit in a newer version so that number of dots always displays averaging interval. The last dot will be hollow if the signal is not good enough to measure amplitude, because the distinct pulses of unlock - impulse - lock can not be detected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I just want to say that this software has been amazing. I'm using it with an existing lapel mic (great sensitivity and cheap), a small ceramic bowl to amplify sound plus towels for isolation. I'm getting very clean readings. Was able to regulate this PoS 14 year old chinese rando automatic movement. Tweaked the original accuracy from +36s/d down a bit. Messed up the beat error on my first try, but was able to reel that back to 0.1ms. Btw, any one recognize the movement?

Finally, how do I donate to the dev(s)?

Light Black Slope World Organism

Watch Corded phone Analog watch Telephone Office equipment

·
Registered
53 Posts
Excellent, thanks for sharing the information. The microphone seems very efficient. And judging by the results it does its job well. I imagine that the bowl is like a soundproofing chamber.
With all due respect, I can say that the best way to obtain good results is with a contact microphone. that is, a vibration sensor.
Good job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, after updating my mac on monterey, unfortunately the timegrapher is showing just a black window. Have already uninstalled tg and brew and installed new, but with the same effect. Any troubleshoot here? Would be great, because i am loving this Tool :)

501 - 520 of 526 Posts