·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I use the regular version as well.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
140 Posts
I tried the lite version just to see if it worked. My newest computer, i5 WIN10, has more than enough horsepower to run the regular version. My old computer has more audio inputs and I may want to use this computer in my search for the perfect microphone. I don't think it has enough memory or horsepower to run the regular version.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Just run the software on my Mac. (Thanks for making it easy Dnmc), loaded up a treat and works well.
I purchased a great watch microphone, probably a piezo device, which is effective.

Can I just ask what is probably a stupid question, I'm unclear what it is I'm looking at! The top bar is obvious, beat error, amplitude and timing. To the left is the conventional paper type reading. But there are two other panes, I guess they are the tic toks? These panes are marked as milliseconds and degrees? And the blue line that varies in position?
I could ignore it all and just take the readings, but I would like to be able to "read" properly what is on the screen, would be very useful in diagnosing escapement problems.

A fabulous piece of software, really good!

Snake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
866 Posts
Thank you contrate_wheel for your awesome work

just what I was looking for

I'm on Kubuntu 15.04 amd64, it compiles fine and runs very well with the integrated mic of my laptop.

ordered a LM741 based amp and piezo mics to build a testing stand.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just use the regular version, but I have now updated the homebrew formula to install tg-lt also, in case someone wants to try that on Mac.

I am having an irritating problem though. I wonder contrate_wheel if you could help with.

When I try to use a mono microphone (a piezoelectric) I get this error:

Error opening audio input: Invalid number of channels
Is that coming from tg itself or one of it's dependencies do you know? I've done a bit of Googling but can't work out where the problem is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I try to use a mono microphone (a piezoelectric) I get this error
This is caused by tg requesting a stereo input source. It looks like it can be fixed by having tg ask for a mono input instead since it doesn't seem to actually use the stereo data.

·
Registered
314 Posts
This is caused by tg requesting a stereo input source. It looks like it can be fixed by having tg ask for a mono input instead since it doesn't seem to actually use the stereo data.
I've had a dig around int he source but with no luck here. If I ask for just 1 channel (either by checking the number available or forcing it) I get no signal whatsoever. C is not my language in the slightest and I've never used PortAudio so I'm stumbling in the dark a bit here.

I'll raise an issue on GitHub and add a bit of detail.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I don't really have a recommendation. I have a couple of super cheap ones off the bay I've been experimenting with. Order by price + postage and you'll find them.

They're mostly sold as guitar pickups.

So far I've experimented with the clip on style. It definitely seems an improvement over the microphone on the side of my MacBook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
If I ask for just 1 channel (either by checking the number available or forcing it) I get no signal whatsoever.
You also need to change some other Portaudio parts that handle the incoming signal. The code currently assumes two channels and will generate garbled data if just fed mono. Easy enough to fix, but perhaps contrate_wheel will chime in with the best way to do it in case the algorithm also relies on stereo data.

·
Registered
32 Posts
awesome software contrate_wheel!!!
here it is running on Wine, I hadn't seen this mentioned in the thread. just set the watch right on the mic. works a little better with a towel a hand on the watch. tg can hear the seiko though the case, leaning against the monitor, e.g. 9 up. mic turned all the way up with ambient noise reduction on for the mac (mid-2009).
my dad's GP
IMG_2497.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry for what can seem like a silly question: how do you install this on mac? I have read the previous posts, installed homebrew, but I am not a sotware programmer and am not well versed in coding/termal commands etc. A simple 'how to install' would be awsome for us computer illiterate mac users out there!

Thanks for the super software!

awesome software contrate_wheel!!!
here it is running on Wine, I hadn't seen this mentioned in the thread. just set the watch right on the mic. works a little better with a towel a hand on the watch. tg can hear the seiko though the case, leaning against the monitor, e.g. 9 up. mic turned all the way up with ambient noise reduction on for the mac (mid-2009).
my dad's GP
View attachment 7351858

·
Registered
867 Posts
There is a precise install instructions for Mac a page or two back. It was very straightforward and worked for me first time. Just follow the step be step guide.
I'm no programmer either but had no issues.

Snake

·
Registered
274 Posts
After a whole afternoon installing homewbrew to install wine, to have wine fail at installing tg, I went back to the steps a few pages back and apparently installed tg successfully. Now my quesiton is: where is the program? Nothing in my apps or library folders... anything special to open the program?

There is a precise install instructions for Mac a page or two back. It was very straightforward and worked for me first time. Just follow the step be step guide.
I'm no programmer either but had no issues.

Snake

Well, I have apparently installed wine, entered command $ open ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files then put all the files in the tg folder in system 32 folder, entered wine tg.exe and here I am with tg opened. Magic. Now to get to work!

EDIT, here's what I was able to get with a 1975 Omega speedmaster:

Capture d?écran 2016-03-10 à 09.29.34.png

And a 1980 Seiko turtle:

Capture d?écran 2016-03-10 à 09.50.48.png

Awesome software!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Installing & running native on Linux Mint (Ubuntu)

Cool software!

For linux users, I got this running on my HP Envy laptop running Linux Mint 17.1 (Ubuntu 14.04). No fooling around with WINE, just a nice, native program.

Here are the installation instructions that worked for me. I say "worked for me" because there may have been other necessary development packages that I'd already installed. In any case, it was as simple as...

from a terminal window (command line)

to build it:

• sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev # install various packages needed for the program compilation
  • sudo apt-get install libjack-jackd2-dev # the order of installation is important
  • sudo apt-get install portaudio19-dev # because libjack must be installed before portaudio
  • sudo apt-get install libfftw3-dev
  • sudo apt-get install git # this is just to download the source
  • cd # go to home directory
  • git clone [email protected]:vacaboja/tg.git # just downloads the source from https://github.com/vacaboja/tg
  • cd tg # change directory to location of source code
  • make # build the program
to run it:

• ./tg # run it

Here's a screenshot of a movement I'm trying to regulate (and not doing a very good job).

Screenshot from 2016-03-16 23:35:57.png

·
Registered
471 Posts
Re: Installing & running native on Linux Mint (Ubuntu)

Hey
I know that the purpose of this freeware is not to compete with professional timegrapher BUT I would like to ask that: Did someone has the chance to compare this software to a professional timegrapher ?
THANKS !
Avihai

·
Registered
54 Posts
Re: Installing & running native on Linux Mint (Ubuntu)

Did someone has the chance to compare this software to a professional timegrapher ?
I've got an ACE No. 1000 Timegrapher arriving next week. When it gets here I'll do a side-by-side comparison.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad you got it!! I could have gotten lucky with the install, but I used https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOSX to start with. it's probably a pretty cheesy way to run an exe on a mac, but I had tried long ago on ubuntu and didn't get anywhere, so decided to try it. I'll try the correct mac install earlier in this thread at some point, but to me the functionality is seamless. I know you're not supposed to have to with a linux kernel, but i had to reboot a few times before the program would run and not lock up - i assume it was wine's interaction with either the tg or the OS. i just stuck the tg executables and libraries in a desktop folder.

After a whole afternoon installing homewbrew to install wine, to have wine fail at installing tg, I went back to the steps a few pages back and apparently installed tg successfully. Now my quesiton is: where is the program? Nothing in my apps or library folders... anything special to open the program?

Well, I have apparently installed wine, entered command $ open ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files then put all the files in the tg folder in system 32 folder, entered wine tg.exe and here I am with tg opened. Magic. Now to get to work!

EDIT, here's what I was able to get with a 1975 Omega speedmaster:

121 - 140 of 448 Posts