WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So there I was killing time at Haneda International airport waiting for my connecting flight to Singapore. I glanced at a bunch of Seiko watches. I tried a baby tuna on for the first time. I loved it.

I didn’t want to be hasty and buy a watch out of boredom so I resisted.

It stuck in my mind. I wanted it. I needed a dive watch. Sure I’ll get that BlackBay58 one day but a Tuna family watch was different enough to latch onto the quirky part of my brain.

A week and a half later, I gave in. I had booked a beach vacation to Bintan in the Riau Islands and needed a watch for snorkeling.

Solar so I never had worry about batteries. Quartz accuracy. Sold.

My brother (who always ends up getting similar stuff) immediately bought a Tuna the very next day.

All the while he was shopping, I was trying out and checking out all the other Tunas. From a whoppingly expensive 1000m rated Gundam LE to the dainty street tunas. I need another one now.

For shame. I had my watch addiction so under control. Something about the brutal weirdness of the Tuna watches just screams to my reptile brain.

Tunas sound huge on paper but on the wrist they have this brutal appeal. Heavy AF, unapologetically chunky.

I need another one.

P.S.
Vkalia, I tried out an Oris 65 for the first time. It’s beautiful. It’s sorta dainty and skinny for a dive watch. This was right after waving about a massive marine master though.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Tunas do have a surprising appeal. Much better on the wrist than you'd expect. I've never tried a baby tuna, but probably will have to in the near future.

Now, I dont want to hijack your thread, but i think i just fell in love! Does anyone know the model of the blue and white gmt shown in the pic with the other two watches?!

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Tunas do have a surprising appeal. Much better on the wrist than you'd expect. I've never tried a baby tuna, but probably will have to in the near future.

Now, I dont want to hijack your thread, but i think i just fell in love! Does anyone know the model of the blue and white gmt shown in the pic with the other two watches?!
Looks to be a SBDB033. Limited to 300 pieces and had a retail of over 5k. I too fell in love. Good luck finding one for a reasonable price though.

·
Premium Member
66,518 Posts
The 65 is a great watch but you’re right - they do feel a little insubstantial after wearing a heavy watch. Simon is right - try one Tuna and it’s odds on that you’ll want another.

·
Premium Member
8,614 Posts
Yeah, Tunas can be fun - and very difficult to stop buying at just one.

My current fav Tuna is the SBBN031. The solars are very nice too!

fullsizeoutput_be4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bf6.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bfa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_bfb.jpeg

·
Registered
14,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 65 is a great watch but you’re right - they do feel a little insubstantial after wearing a heavy watch. Simon is right - try one Tuna and it’s odds on that you’ll want another.
I have honestly no idea why I want a heavy duty dive watch now...but I do.

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
So there I was killing time at Haneda International airport waiting for my connecting flight to Singapore. I glanced at a bunch of Seiko watches. I tried a baby tuna on for the first time. I loved it.
<snip>
A week and a half later, I gave in.
<snip>
I need another one.
Congrats on the Tuna - that's certainly a very unique look. So if you get another one, does that mean you are going to become an outdoorsman now? :)

(And yeah, for sure - after that giant, the Oris will certainly look dainty!).

Reactions: imaCoolRobot

·
Registered
14,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on the Tuna - that's certainly a very unique look. So if you get another one, does that mean you are going to become an outdoorsman now? :)

(And yeah, for sure - after that giant, the Oris will certainly look dainty!).

Outdoorsman? Unlikely.
Qualified to sit on a beach in Bintan?
Ha. Much yes.

As I stuck my hand in the waters of the South China Sea thus baptizing my watch, I wondered...is Divers200mm okay for a bit of splashing.

Or sleeping on a hammock.

Much comfort at a little beach resort. We are the only foreigners here so I’m limping away linguistically; picking up bahasa Indonesia as I go along. It’s close enough to bahasa Melayu that I can almost manage with a few slip ups.

My brother’s PADI Tuna is hilarious as he barely swims.

The appeal of the dive watch is the machismo appeal. I guess I’ll make it a point to visit the Andaman Islands one day to justify my inevitable Seiko Tuna.

I really wanted this

But the homage is okay for now.

I’m not into gold watches but I’d have bought this if I saw it first

Now back to napping.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts